PDA

View Full Version : What's an easy way to get a rim light?

andre
1-Jun-2014, 04:23
Usually my lighting for portrait is either window light or open shade.
What I'm still missing, especially indoors, is a rim light to place at 10 or 2 o'clock.

I understand that due to the angle of the light, a rim light doesn't need a lot of power so I was thinking of a battery powered led light on a light stand.

What do you think? Other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
andre

vinny
1-Jun-2014, 04:53
depends on whether you're shooting color or b+w
but that may work. a simple clip light with an mr16 or similar bulb would have more output but likely a different color temp.
think about the size of the source as well, not just the output. a flashlight is many times smaller than the light coming from a window.

Peter Gomena
1-Jun-2014, 11:00
Be aware that a backlight creating a rim might shine onto your lens creating unwanted flare. You may need to flag the light. This depends, of course, on where you've placed that rim light's source.

Gary Tarbert
25-Jun-2014, 19:43
I have used a strip light rearward direction for backlight rim effect .The narrow band of light minimizes the flare issue mentioned by Peter . Cheers Gary

andre
26-Jun-2014, 00:56
I have used a strip light rearward direction for backlight rim effect .The narrow band of light minimizes the flare issue mentioned by Peter . Cheers Gary

Do you think one could have a battery powered, continuous strip light?

Gary Tarbert
26-Jun-2014, 06:56
Do you think one could have a battery powered, continuous strip light?

Not sure to be frank , i have never used led as a light source , I was thinking more about the light shaping than the actual source of the light or how it is powered .So this falls into the other suggestions category , again would depend on whether you are shooting colour or b&w ,personaly for colour i prefer flash ,which for the power you would need could be battery powered into a handmade strip , If you could get enough power from an led remembering it would need primary and secodary diffusion to be even . then you would not have the heat problems associated with other continuous light sources . Cheers Gary

Jim C.
26-Jun-2014, 11:32
If you're using window light indoors why not set up a reflector to get your rim light ?

andre
27-Jun-2014, 01:14
If you're using window light indoors why not set up a reflector to get your rim light ?

That was also my first approach.
But I don't get the direct sunlight through the window but rather the open sky.
And this kind of light I didn't manage to reflect back correctly so far.
I can fill in some shadows but not really create a rim of light.
Maybe you have some advice on how to to do this?

AtlantaTerry
27-Jun-2014, 23:03
Usually my lighting for portrait is either window light or open shade.
What I'm still missing, especially indoors, is a rim light to place at 10 or 2 o'clock.

What do you think? Other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Andre

Andre,

You are mixing two terms and they are not interchangeable.

A rim light, IMHO, is a light source that is directly behind the subject's head and aimed directly toward the lens. The head intercepts the light rays thereby throwing a shadow on the lens. What is left of the light creates an even glow or rim of light around the head. Hence, the term, "rim light". A small point of light source such as a strobe head or bright light bulb will suffice. I would not use any kind of strip, softbox or other large light source. You want a point source of light. And one you can brighten or dim.

Light sources that are at 10:00 and 2:00 are "kickers". The effect on the subject is totally different from a rim light. What a kicker does is bounce off the side of the subject's head creating a highlight. How much highlight can vary from subtle to dramatic. I like to use grids on my Alien Bee or White Lightning strobes for a more dramatic effect. Other times I use a small softbox for a larger/softer result than a grid will give. A kicker is a great tool to use to divide a subject from a dark or black background.

Here are examples of executive portraits I created that use kickers along with a hair light to divide the subjects from dark backgrounds:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/terrythomasatlanta/6676080275/in/set-72157628816463729
https://www.flickr.com/photos/terrythomasatlanta/11172405464/in/set-72157632186321818

andre
28-Jun-2014, 01:37
Thanks Terry! Makes a lot of sense!

Imagine I'm shooting a boudoir scene in a hotel room.
A large window is providing both the key light on the subject and the ambient light for the room.
I'm shooting wide open and at 400 film speed.

Now I want to outline my subject from the background with a kicker. Ideally as soft as another window light.
I don't want that kicker to influence the ambient light.

How would you do it?

AtlantaTerry
28-Jun-2014, 08:24
Thanks Terry! Makes a lot of sense!

Imagine I'm shooting a boudoir scene in a hotel room.
A large window is providing both the key light on the subject and the ambient light for the room.
I'm shooting wide open and at 400 film speed.

Now I want to outline my subject from the background with a kicker. Ideally as soft as another window light.
I don't want that kicker to influence the ambient light.

How would you do it?

Actually, in this situation I would use a large softbox as a kicker. This will allow the model to move around and it will give a nice smooth even illumination to a wide area.

The key to your question is "as soft as another window light". If you think about it, you answered your own question.

Use 20x30 inch black cards to block the light from going where you don't want. Or, if you have one, an eggcrate on the soft box. Or both.