PDA

View Full Version : Cool Stuff at PhotoPlus Expo

Pete Roody
22-Oct-2004, 21:26
With all the bad news circulating lately about LF film supplies, etc., it was nice to see something positive happening at the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC. Some observations:

Polaroid demonstrated their 8x10 version of Type 55 P/N Film!

Arca is coming out with a new 8x10 camera that will weigh ~ 7 lbs!

The Layton camera looked really sharp!

The designer of the new Cooke Triple convertible mentioned that he would like to design a series (several focal lengths) of WA lenses for LF that take advantage of modern glass and coatings! Cool!!! They will probably start with a convertible for 4x5 first.

Everyone related to LF seemed to notice a resurgance of interest in 8x10!

Now if I could only get ringing (caused by many idiots with microphones explaining how to point and click a mouse) out of my ears, I will be happy.

Darin Cozine
23-Oct-2004, 00:02
Allellueah!!!!

(I have no idea how to spell that)

Anyway, I'm sure everyone in the LF commuinity is glad to see that vendors are still taking interest. I would be interested to see actual sheet film sales numbers to confirm what many of us know:

Large Format Photography is having a rennesance! (did I misspell that too?)

I personally think this is attributed to 3 things:

1. A wealth of information online and a well-established online community. I dont know how newbies could last without so much information online. There are only a few books available new on LF and instructors/workshops are expensive im sure.

2. Availability of equipment on the web. While I support my local photography suppliers, they have a small supply of view cameras and what they do have (used) is much too expensive for most people who are just experementing.

3. Digital. Strangely I think the digital revolution has helped LF. Perhaps some feel the need for LF to 'balance' their digital equipment. Or maybee scanners and inkjet printers have opened possibilities for some to enter LF. Or maybee just with so many new people interested in photography, LF could have attracted a certain percentage of them. I dont know for sure.

David R Munson
23-Oct-2004, 01:45
Yeah, I know what I'm dreaming about tonight...

Linas Kudzma
23-Oct-2004, 08:00
I saw the 8x10 Type 55 P/N at the expo on Thursday. Unfortunately the rep told me there is no plan to sell this size. This was for demo only. Just a big tease to see those 8x10 negs clearing in a tray at the booth.

The Layton 4x5 camera is very nice and super sturdy. But, it will be pricey at over $5K.

Pete Roody
23-Oct-2004, 08:10
Linas wrote:

I saw the 8x10 Type 55 P/N at the expo on Thursday. Unfortunately the rep told me there is no plan to sell this size. This was for demo only. Just a big tease to see those 8x10 negs clearing in a tray at the booth.

Linas,

I heard the opposite. They also told a Large Format Camera Maker that they will be coming out with the 8x10 P/N film. They swore him to secrecy.

These are positive signs for LF (analog) photographers.

Ralph Barker
23-Oct-2004, 09:54
Peter - were they using regular Polaroid 8x10 holders and the 8x10 processor for the new PN55?

Sal Santamaura
23-Oct-2004, 10:35
So Bill Jefferson, what's "the rest of the story?"

Pete Roody
23-Oct-2004, 14:18
Peter - were they using regular Polaroid 8x10 holders and the 8x10 processor for the new PN55?

Yes. They also wash with plain water. They no longer use a Sodium Sulfite solution.

I also talked with the people at the Ilford booth and they assured me they will continue to be in the sheet film business. They said they are manufacturing at full production now and will replace depleted stocks shortly.

Sal Santamaura
24-Oct-2004, 14:08
I just sent Polaroid a message through its Web site requesting release of "T-805" ASAP. Figured it couldn't hurt. I encourage everyone else who'd shoot with this film to do the same. Use Polaroid's "Support" page to give your input.

Kev
24-Oct-2004, 23:50
Don't kid yourselves. The truth of the matter is that finding evidence of large format at the NY show was like finding a needle in a haystack. Toyo's space was about three feet wide. Canham dn't show. Walker and Layton had about 8 feet in total. Calumet and SinarBron, both with very large and splashy booths, put next to nothing into their large format presence. Polaroid had a big wood large camera, and a photographer playing with it, but this was obviously about attracting attention. Pentax, which had a good sized booth with lots of product, couldn't even show me their spotmeter. They didn't bring one. The only serious large format presence was Arca Swiss. They took a good chunk of space, and M. Vogt was present throughout, together with a staff of three. Based on this show, at least, he's the person who deserves our support.

And who had a platoon of America's big name photographers showing up to sign and give away prints of their work over three days? Epson.

Bob Salomon
25-Oct-2004, 03:29
" finding evidence of large format at the NY show was like finding a needle in a haystack"

Well we had 9' of showcase with Linhof and Wista in it out of 40 linear feet of booth space. Add another 3' of showcase for Rodenstock large format lenses brings our direct large format exposure up to 12 feet out of 40 linear feet.

Too bad you didn't seem to see it. It was in the booth with the very large picture of a Linhof TK and the very large picture of the Rodenstock lenss on the back wall and the Linhof, Rodenstock and Wista names on the end wall.

Kev
25-Oct-2004, 10:07
Bob,

Sorry, I should have mentioned HP as well as Arca. It just didn't come to mind as I was writing, which it should have given that I saw you working at the booth and was finally able to connect your helpful posts to a face. I would have introduced myself, but you looked busy. Three days straight at a show like that must be very hard work.

I still think it's fair to say that the overwhelming orientation of the show was digital. That's not good or bad. It's just reality. One thing that really struck me was that a rep for one of the most prestigious manufacturers of filters said that demand for filters was way down.

It was nice to see that there was at least some large format presence. Given that you were working the show, I'd be very interested in what your impressions were about the level of large formta interest and what kind of clientele demonstrated interest.

Sal Santamaura
25-Oct-2004, 11:09
Disappointing news just received in a reply from Polaroid:

"I'm sorry to say that we will not be coming out with 805 film. We did have a small supply for test purposes (which is what you saw at the show), but there is not a big enough demand to warrant manufacturing this film (confirmed with Start Strong, Worldwide Pro-Photo Marketing Manager)."

Linas Kudzma
25-Oct-2004, 12:40
Kev,

Keith Canham was there. I had a nice long somewhat philosophical conversation with him. It was a great pleasure to talk to him, as always...

Wisner wasn't there, as far as I could tell.

Pete Roody
25-Oct-2004, 18:18
Ron Wisner was there with Ries. I talked with him on Friday and he was there on Saturday also. He brought 3 cameras (16x20, 8x10 & 5x7).

Many LF vendors share space with bigger players so they are not listed in the program. You have to search a little to find them. This show is not dedicated to LF but there was a strong presence of LF manufacturers.

I hadn't gone to this show for several years, but friends who have said that this was a better show for LF compared to what was there the last few years. The vendors I spoke with were helpful and upbeat.

The news from Polaroid is disappointing (if true), but the news from the Ilford people was positive.

Keith Canham said he sold out his production run of metal 8x10's due to large orders from Asia. This is one of many positive signs that our small community of LF photographers is strong and growing!

Bob Salomon
26-Oct-2004, 10:13
" I'd be very interested in what your impressions were about the level of large formta interest and what kind of clientele demonstrated interest."

Minimal compared to the interest in our other products being shown.

Most were commercial or amateur shooters. But we had 5 people working the booth stretched out over 40' so I did not see everyone who expressed interest so I can only comment on the interest I personally saw.