PDA

View Full Version : Back on V8 is Loose

Richard Rau
30-May-2014, 22:23
Does anybody have any tips on snugging up the back on an 8x10 Deardorff? It's not real loose, but there is some slight play. I was just wondering if there is a "correct" method to tighten it up. The pins on top still mesh in the tabs, so the question is: is it best to bend the upper tabs on the back standard down just a bit to make the back fit snug or is there a better way to accomplish this? The 5x7 back fits very snug. The problem is only with the 8x10 back. So maybe it's time to get new pins for the 8x10 back. It's a late 60's or early 70's model, so it's seen plenty of use. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Rich

Richard Rau
7-Jun-2014, 08:48
In case anyone may be interested, or has had this problem in the past where one back fits, and one doesn't. Here's an update. I decided to swap pins between the two backs. There was no change. The 5x7 back still fits snug, and the 8x10 still has a bit of looseness to it. So, I bent the metal tabs down a bit that the back fits into. That solved the 8x10 back problem, but now, of course the 5x7 is a real struggle to fit on the camera. There doesn't really seem to be a happy medium. When comparing both backs, they seem to be identical demensions. So, I question if brand new replacement pins would really help solve the problem. It doesn't seem to matter whether the back is placed in horizonal or vertical position, the problem still persists.

koh303
7-Jun-2014, 14:46
It is possible your 8X10 back has warpped in a way that makes it loose compared to the 5X7. Also possible that the thickness at the area behind the pins is off due to wear or even impact when the camera was closed.

Tracy Storer
9-Jun-2014, 16:24
I'm curious in what axis the play is ? Lateral, vertical, or axial (towards and away from the lens)?
A little play is very unlikely to cause you any real trouble, it's amazing how a very small difference in dimension can affect fit.

Tin Can
9-Jun-2014, 19:00
I doubt steel pins need replacing.

How about a little gaff tape shim here and there and then check for light leaks.

Kevin Crisp
9-Jun-2014, 19:13
I'm with Randy, very thin tape (actually I'd use that bookbinder's tape that works so well on film holders) go around each side with a strip that follows (creases) for the light trap and it will be snug.

A little bit of play is perfectly normal, especially if it is lateral free play. If it doesn't rattle or leak light, don't worry about it.

Richard Rau
16-Jun-2014, 22:31
Kevin & Randy, thanks for the suggestion using a little tape. Never thought of that. That pretty much solved the problem. It was interesting that the loose play was in both axis, but more pronounced in the lateral axis. Being as old as it is, I would expect a little bit of play to be somewhat expected, however I also figured as many people who still use old V8's that someone had probably run up against this problem before. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Tin Can
16-Jun-2014, 22:49
I use a lot of tape on cameras, felt tape, gaff tape, several types of double sided tape, even clear packing tape to fix dark slide cracks.

But I hate masking tape as a lot of stuff I get has dried up masking tape all over it. Some day somebody will hate my tape too.

I draw the line at bubble gum.

Tracy Storer
18-Jun-2014, 13:40
I doubt steel pins need replacing.

How about a little gaff tape shim here and there and then check for light leaks.

I believe they are nickel plated brass, but also, not likely to wear out.
:)

Tracy Storer
19-Jun-2014, 15:02
I believe they are nickel plated brass, but also, not likely to wear out.
:)

ACK, I just checked, they are STEEL !

Tin Can
19-Jun-2014, 15:08
The new ones I bought from Barry, were steel and my SC11 has steel pins in all 4 backs.

ACK, I just checked, they are STEEL !