PDA

View Full Version : Ha ha haaa - Ilford heist

tim atherton
21-Oct-2004, 11:46
Still need you HP5 fix - you can buy some on ebay for only $165.00 a box!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15248&item=3847572584&rd=1

Ralph Barker
21-Oct-2004, 12:04
Now, that is funny!

Diane Maher
21-Oct-2004, 12:05
I was just thinking how pathetic that was. It will become more common though, I'm sure.

tim atherton
21-Oct-2004, 12:16
And actually, if you check B&H they are out of stock right now....

(did you read his little "ilford is no more" panic spiel...)

domenico Foschi
21-Oct-2004, 12:19
MHmm..., he must have read some of our posts.

Daniel Grenier
21-Oct-2004, 12:35
Question is, will he sell it ? Let's check back in a few days and see.

Diane Maher
21-Oct-2004, 12:37
Makes me feel good that two boxes of 8x10 FP4+ are to be delivered to me today.

Neal Shields
21-Oct-2004, 15:11
I'm not buying anything on Ebay where the seller only shows me the outside of the box. If he doesn't show a photograph of the actual product, how do we know what we are getting?

Enrico
21-Oct-2004, 15:16
Question is: will some idiot buy it...?

David Luttmann
21-Oct-2004, 16:23
I agree Neil....

I'd feel much better if he had an attached photo of the actual sheets inside the box ;-)

chris_4622
21-Oct-2004, 16:34
He used some interesting words; love this stuff, only have a few boxes left, just want to cry. Well if it is that valuable from the standpoint of not being able to get it anymore then why sell it. He doesn't say anything about that. The description seems deceptive on some level.

Chris Gittins
21-Oct-2004, 17:23
I noticed he has 100% positive feedback. 100% chumps?

Andre Noble
21-Oct-2004, 17:50
He probably won't sell. LF(and especially ULF) photographers are not that dumb. He's hoping to catch someone at a rare uninformed moment.

Now, he may have gotten his $75 with a no reserve ad, and subsequent panic buying competition.

John Kasaian
21-Oct-2004, 18:36
He'll never get that much!

Now if he were so fortunate to have some of that ultra-rare Arista Pro, hand selected by Gnomes in Hollywood, California, employed at a top secret lab by Freestyle(rumor has it that the second "O" in the HOLLYWOOD sign is the portal and it is guarded by deadly albino hit man)---well THAT would be a different story! Certainly no other film comes close!

One famous photographer I've heard bought all the remaining stock for his portfolio on the the famous "Running of the Sausages" through the streets of Frankfurt and sadly, since the Albino offed six of the seven gnomes in lab after they referred to him as a "girlie-man" when ordering a pizza ("Give it to the albino girlie-man with the gun at the second "O" in the HOLLYWOOD sign and no anchovies" said Sneezy to the delivery boy)there is no more to be had for love nor money.(the surviving gnome, Dopey is still in intensive care but will never hand select sheet film again due to the nature of his substantial injuries)

In the wet darkrooms in Paris they still speak reverently about Atget's wonderful negatives taken with Arista Pro and developed in a two part solution of consisting of Pernod and Edward Weston's split pea soup.

National Geographic cancelled an expedition to remote Rock Springs Wyoming to document the ultra rare fossils of a Budweiserus Bubbus found in a coal pit because it was determined that the subtle tonality could only be captured by the now irreplaceable Arista that Pros everywhere have come to know and love.

The scarcity of this fine B&W film is no doubt the reason why Sports Illustrated has to shoot that swimsuit edition in color!

It is even said in some quarters that Hasselblad has quite making traditional film cameras since the last of the 120 rolls of the stuff were squandered by a paparazzi trying to horn in on Prince Harry's night out.

Now a box of THAT film would certainly fetch a pretty penny on eBay!;-)

David G. Gagnon
21-Oct-2004, 20:10
Still have some of the Vicodin left, huh John? That reply is even more interesting than your regular ones! :-) Thanks for the laughs!

P.S. Had a bilateral hernia operation myself in Jan. of '02. Hope you're healing quickly. Just remember, don't overdo it too soon, no matter how good you think you're feeling.

DG

domenico Foschi
22-Oct-2004, 00:32
that was great John!

Ralph Barker
22-Oct-2004, 08:49
I want some of whatever you're taking, John. Thanks for the chuckles.

Andrew Hess
22-Oct-2004, 12:45
So I see the clan of LF shooters like my e-Bay offering. Actually I have 3 boxes but I will probably hold onto the other two unless the price bids up a little.
For those of you who have used HP5 Plus 8x10 with HC110 you know why this stuff is so good.

Thanks for your interest,
Andy

Tom Westbrook
22-Oct-2004, 12:59
For those looking for news on the true state of Ilford films, see Les McLean's update on APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9668

It's odd that Ebay has a policy banning misleading titles in auctions, but nothing specific about falsehoods or misleading statements in descriptions of auctions (that I could find). I suppose it's caveat emptor.

lee nadel
22-Oct-2004, 13:25
hi i have 12 boxes of apx 100 4x5 in the freezer next to my frozen chinese dumplings from china town from beantown when i eat the dumplings maybe i'll shoot or sell the apx it all depends on how cold the winter is in gloucester!

David Luttmann
22-Oct-2004, 14:48
I agree Tom. It looks like the auction listed uses false statements....which says everything about the integrity of the person who listed it. ...no names mentioned, of course!

ISO 2
23-Oct-2004, 04:53
This thread is amazingly awful.

Since when did the LF forum become baywatch for boobied trapped auctions and the like?

Half of the posts have unfairly slated a seller with 100% positive feedback of a high number and questioned the seller's integrity based on a generic upload image. Did anyone think to ask the seller for photos of the full box rather than snidely remark on it?

The seller might have issues about his pricing strategy: if this forum reasonably crabs on about this I wouldn't have a problem with it. To make a personal attack on the seller is akin to gossip-mongering and bitching at a pathetic level.

And no, I don't shoot 8x10" nor do I know the seller.

Tom Westbrook
23-Oct-2004, 07:55
This thread is amazingly awful.

I'd say it barely rises to "somewhat awful". For "amazingly awful" do a search for "magazine".

Seriously, though I feel this is an acceptable subject since it concerns a current topic of interest, i.e. the woes of the traditional film business, along with a human interest story about the ethics of an auction by a person willing to take advantage of others' concern about their suppliers and supplies using misleading statements. I don't see any personal attacks. The auction is plainly unethical and I think that's what this thread is about.

Chris Gittins
23-Oct-2004, 18:09
>Did anyone think to ask the seller for photos of the full box rather than snidely remark on it?

Now there's a thought. Someone should ask him to post pictures of the individual sheets of film they're in good condition...

Chris Gittins
23-Oct-2004, 18:11
Oops. I meant to write:

Someone should ask him to post pictures of the individual sheets of film to confirm they're in good condition.

Norm Johnson
23-Oct-2004, 19:19
I did not take the Ilford supply problem to serious until another Photog went this weekend back to Buffalo, NY and four supply retail outlets that have always carried it had none in any size or speed. Norm

John Kasaian
23-Oct-2004, 19:32
No problems with Freestyle's Arista(no fooling---really!) I just got a box of Pro 400 (HP-5+) in the other day. They must have outsourced the gnomes! ;-)

Chris Gittins
24-Oct-2004, 07:16
FYI: B&H, Calumet, and Adorama all advertise 25 sheet boxes of 8x10 HP5 for less than $60 per box. Calumet and Adorama's website indicate that it is presently in stock. I didn't check other sizes or FP4.

tim atherton
24-Oct-2004, 10:47
"I did not take the Ilford supply problem to serious until another Photog went this weekend back to Buffalo, NY and four supply retail outlets that have always carried it had none in any size or speed. Norm"

my understanding is that there was an initial period when orders weren't beng filled while the administrator took over and production slowed or stopped. At the same time, loyal Ilford fans emptied the shelves. Since the administrator has been in place, production has resumed. Back orders are now being shipped and regular orders beginning to be filled

Tim Stahl
27-Oct-2004, 03:17
I spoke with B&H last week. They said that they would be receiving a shipment of Ilford film in two weeks. I guess wait and see if they really do get it in.

tim atherton
16-Nov-2004, 17:39
"I spoke with B&H last week. They said that they would be receiving a shipment of Ilford film in two weeks. I guess wait and see if they really do get it in."

B&H seems to be basically back up to stock of Ilford - they even have 11x14 HP5 in...

Emmanuel BIGLER
17-Nov-2004, 08:41
There is an update about Ilford's situation dated Oct 27, 2004 on the BJP web site :
http://db.riskwaters.com/public/showPage.html?page=195984 (http://db.riskwaters.com/public/showPage.html?page=195984)

Bob._3483
20-Nov-2004, 21:01
Silverprint (http://www.silverprint.co.uk/) have the following in their News section:

" Look to an announcement in December regarding Ilford's future - and by this stage we can be sure that it will be good news.
Ilford material is rolling in to us as usual, (6/11/04) and we are well stocked on film and paper - the exception is their chemistry, where manufacture is to be subcontracted out to an outside chemical manufacturer. Most Ilford chemicals are now out of stock and it will be December 04 at the earliest before supply is resumed. "

Which is interesting - but a bit of a nuisance about the chemicals...

Cheers, Bob.