PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help Me Identify this LF Camera??

catiecolvin
27-May-2014, 15:29
Hello All!

I purchased this whole plate camera which was discovered at an estate sale, along with a sweet little Darlot lens. Nothing was known about the camera or its origins, but I'm set on restoring the thing this summer while I have some free time. I'd like to find out as much as I can about it, but it doesn't have many hints about its manufacture. The word "JANNARD" is printed on a clasp that holds the front and rear standards together when entirely folded up. Aside from that there is no information engraved. It appears that the hardware is largely original? With the exception of some metal bracing on the front and rear standards, unless the original patina has just been polished down? However the screws look different which makes me think they are not original. I'm including photos of the camera to aid anyone who might have a clue as to where it has come from. Any obvious advice about the restoration needs of the camera would also be helpful as this is my first whole plate camera. Thanks in advance for any help!

Please follow link for more photos.

http://postimg.org/gallery/3tn1d1h0/

Tim Meisburger
27-May-2014, 17:10
I cannot help you identify it, but that sure is a beautiful camera. Unfortunately someone has begun a very poor restoration job, which is the reason for the new plastic varnish and polished hardware on the front (the hardware should be original, but the screws may be replacements).

I would not have refinished it, but since they already did the front you may want to continue. If it were me I would remove the shiny plastic varnish and replace it with a more muted shellac.

Disassemble the whole camera carefully, then where there are cracks in the wood (mostly from previous botched repairs) fix those by gluing and clamping. where there are holes, the best way to fix those is with a tiny chip of the same wood.

Good luck!

BarryS
27-May-2014, 19:03
It looks like an English whole plate camera, but not from a well-known maker. It has some missing and replaced hardware, and the original tripod turntable has been removed and replaced with a wood roundel to allow the camera to be mounted to a modern tripod. The best brass treatment I know of is soaking the brass in a dilute hot citric acid solution, polishing with fine steel wool, and lacquering. You may find more information here (http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/index.php).

Louis Pacilla
27-May-2014, 19:15
Don't know who manufactured it but would say it's late 1800 British field camera. It seems to be missing a good bit of the original hardware and one big piece missing/replaced is the built in brass rotating tripod crown. It's been replaced with a stained piece of round plywood/ wood w/ tripod socket. You'll more then likely not find the replacement hardware and some of it may be critical to the cameras stability. Just my two cents.

Sorry I can't identify the manufacture or model but do a thorough Google search for British field cameras of the late 1800's. See if you can match your camera so you'll not only know what camera model but what your missing.

Good luck.

Barry beat me to it. Good call Barry!

Louis Pacilla
28-May-2014, 10:05
I found an eBay listing of the same model camera you asked about. This listing belongs to a LF member (Andrew) & he may be willing to provide a photo or two of this his camera to be used as a guide/example of what this model of British field camera should look like when complete.

eBay listing #181422721072

You are missing quit a lot of brass my friend.

catiecolvin
28-May-2014, 10:51
Thanks for all the help so far everyone! It's a little disheartening to learn so much is not original to the camera, but my goal for this, since I came across it so cheaply in the first place, is to just get it to useable condition for wet plate work. It doesn't have to be pretty for my first whole plater. I did check out Andrew's listing and it does appear to be very similar, though I'm still unclear on how the plate / film holder would fit into the rear standard. You must have to take off the outer frame that should be holding a piece of ground glass (from the slits I can see in the left and right sides of the removable frame), but then I do not understand the purpose of the brass bracings on the outside this removable piece that look as if they should have clips or some other mechanism that hold a film or plate holder by some sort of tension? Though this wouldn't make sense if it sits behind where the ground glass appears to be designed to fit. Would one need to remove this frame altogether and replace with a suitable plate holder? I'm at a loss...as I mentioned, this is my first time dealing with a field camera of this variety so any wisdom is mucho appreciated.

Thanks LF community!

BarryS
28-May-2014, 12:17
Normally, on a plate camera of this vintage--the rear ground glass frame is hinged or removable. The frame is either lifted up or removed and the plate holder is attached when you're ready to shoot a plate. The plate holders were never standardized, so there are a lot of variations out there. You may have a devil of a time finding one in usable condition that fits your camera. You're right though, it almost looks like your back is missing a spring-tensioned ground glass frame that allowed holders to be slipped under the frame. The point may be moot since you have neither the frame or the holders.

You'll have to either build or have a plate back built for you to do wet plate--if you don't find any suitable holders. If the final goal is wet plate, I'd be inclined to not dump any time or money into restoration and find a $300-$400 8x10 wood field camera (like a Kodak 2D) that accepts a modern 8x10 film holder (that can easily and cheaply be modified to fit whole plates).

Thanks for all the help so far everyone! It's a little disheartening to learn so much is not original to the camera, but my goal for this, since I came across it so cheaply in the first place, is to just get it to useable condition for wet plate work. It doesn't have to be pretty for my first whole plater. I did check out Andrew's listing and it does appear to be very similar, though I'm still unclear on how the plate / film holder would fit into the rear standard. You must have to take off the outer frame that should be holding a piece of ground glass (from the slits I can see in the left and right sides of the removable frame), but then I do not understand the purpose of the brass bracings on the outside this removable piece that look as if they should have clips or some other mechanism that hold a film or plate holder by some sort of tension? Though this wouldn't make sense if it sits behind where the ground glass appears to be designed to fit. Would one need to remove this frame altogether and replace with a suitable plate holder? I'm at a loss...as I mentioned, this is my first time dealing with a field camera of this variety so any wisdom is mucho appreciated.

Thanks LF community!

Andrew Plume
29-May-2014, 02:24
I found an eBay listing of the same model camera you asked about. This listing belongs to a LF member (Andrew) & he may be willing to provide a photo or two of this his camera to be used as a guide/example of what this model of British field camera should look like when complete.

eBay listing #181422721072

You are missing quit a lot of brass my friend.

thanks for mentioning me Louis

I've heard direct from Catie and will shortly be replying with 'full help/assistance etc etc' and my proposals will be very similar to what Barry has also suggested............you can spend way way too much time, cash and frustration in a restoration project

regards

andrew

IanG
29-May-2014, 03:36
The camera isn't as original, possibly French, there's newer parts been added probably to replace broken/missing parts. The back has been changed and the front standard I think as well. So it looks like someone has rebuilt the camera with bits of other cameras and some new brass parts.

With a new back or making holders and a focus panel that fits it would most likely be usable.

Ian

Steven Tribe
29-May-2014, 12:00
Like Ian, I don't see a UK camera here and Jannard as a surname is certainly of French origin.

I can't make head or tail of the brass fitments as regards their function!