PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use CC filters anymore...?

Uri A
27-May-2014, 05:16
Kids,

I'm a classically trained photog. Assisted a lot of the greats back in the day. Used to scramble on ladders to tape strips of CC Magenta around flouro tubes and replace incandescent bulbs with slave flashes, all that jazz... So saying "lets fix it in post" is anathema to me. I like to get it right in camera.

But these days with all the computer power at our fingertips ... does anyone still schlep a (expensive) color meter and (also expensive) CC filter set and bag of gels around with them?

I've been shooting mixed light source interiors on chrome (the classic photog nightmare) and you know what? A few twiddles in P'shop and all is well. Especially considering the quality loss of stacking a pack of dusty wrattens in front of your German glass, vs the loss (if any) of correcting in post...

Is there still any point?

(BTW I still use filters for B&W to bring skies in, correct skintones, etc. If it's not on the film, it's not there to correct, but in color..??)

Heroique
27-May-2014, 05:26
Is there still any point?

Nothing like a well-exposed LF transparency on a light table or overhead projector.

Uri A
27-May-2014, 05:29
Nothing like a well-exposed LF transparency on a light table or overhead projector.

Sure, if a client was looking over my shoulder and paying me what the people I used to assist used to make (3-6K a day) I would make those chromes sparkle on the light table.

I know it can be done and it is very satisfying (when someone else is paying for it) But on my own time & dime? Lug ladders, meters, filters, gels, hire assistants?

Do you?

Carsten Wolff
29-May-2014, 05:51
I do, occasionally, e.g. for underwater video, or film and fluorescent light.

jnantz
29-May-2014, 06:41
for years i never did, but i do these days (from time to time)
only when i am attempting to make a hybrid-workflow-trichromes.
but even then since i am using gels, instead of expensive filters
i am tweaking a little bit in PS ...