PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lens Hood

gmed
25-May-2014, 18:54
Is anyone familiar with the Lee Lens hood which is compatible with the lee filters?
I have the 100mm filters. I have the 90mm and 150mm lenses, would like to get the hood as some of my images has minimal flaring the last time I went shooting.

there are two different sizes, one wife, another medium wide. Not sure which I should get.

gmed
25-May-2014, 18:57
BTW, id like to use this on my digital system with my 16-35, so if I get the wide, will it be effective on a normal lens such as the 150mm?

Heroique
25-May-2014, 19:23
Your 90mm lens will do much better with Lee's WA hood, and this hood will work fine with your 150mm and 16-35mm lens.

BTW, it's not clear if you're using Lee's filter holder, which will help determine whether the slotted or non-slotted version of the hood makes the most sense for you.

If you're using the filter holder, the WA version will be even more important. The reason why is that the hood is designed to slide into the holder’s outer-most slot. This pushes the hood out in front of the lens – more so than if you were using just the hood by itself. Plus, the more filters in the holder, and the greater your movements, the more the hood tends to get in the way. My widest lens is 110mm (on 4x5), so this isn’t a common problem with most of my landscape shots, but often, I do find myself working close to the limits w/ small to moderate movements. Your 90mm lens puts the hood at greater risk of vignetting than my 110mm. Being able to tailor each corner of the compendium is, of course, a great help.

When using the hood by itself (on an adapter ring), you can rotate it to match your GG orientation. But when it’s on the holder, you can’t rotate the hood; however, you can rotate the holder itself, but this might be problematic if using a GND filter.

I think Lee makes an adapter that allows you to turn the hood independent of the holder, but I imagine adding the adapter just pushes the hood out in front even more.

gmed
25-May-2014, 19:32
Yes, I actually have the Lee filter with the holder. the WA hood comes with 2 slots for filters, so i don't have to use my own holder. Im assuming that the WA version can support much wider than the 90mm. Thank you for your advice.

Heroique
25-May-2014, 19:44
The WA hood can support wider than 90mm on 4x5, but you'll be surprised how quickly movements will introduce vignetting, especially when also using a filter holder.

Still, all versions of the Lee compendium hood are a pleasure to work with.

BTW, I just realized my description should be more clear that Lee's hoods – slotted or non-slotted – are compatible w/ the filter holder (by using the brackets on the back of the hood), or w/o the filter holder (by using an adapter ring).

gmed
25-May-2014, 19:56
Thanks so much for the info.

hiend61
26-May-2014, 07:58
The Lee WA Lens Hood is very effective with lenses from 65 mm (The widest I have tried on 4x5) to 210 mm. This hood can hold the 105mm front holder ring which is very useful for using a 105 mm polarizing filter or any 105 mm glass filter. This feature makes this lens hood a joy to use.

dave_whatever
26-May-2014, 08:47
I had a Lee hood and never liked it. Too much hassle looking through the ground glass stopped down to try and establish if the hood is impinging on the image area, plus you can't use it easily over the top of a 105mm polariser. I lost at least one shot to having the hood in view, whereas I never lost a shot to flare in all my years shooting without a hood. These days I just stand or use my hand or darkslide to carefully cast a shadow on to the lens to kill any flare. Much easier and quicker.

drew.saunders
26-May-2014, 10:50
I had the Lee 2-slot regular hood, which I've since sold, and have the wide 2-slot hood. For my 300mm lens on 4x5, the wide hood still works well enough when fully extended, so it's all I've needed. My widest lens is an 80mm, and I've yet to introduce vignetting with the wide hood on the 80 or 125, but I'm sure I will some day. I have the plain square glass polarizer, which means I have to rotate the whole hood to use it, but I don't really use the polarizer often enough for that to be a problem.