PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on restoring Kodak view #2

Account8600
24-May-2014, 17:55
I am restoring (my first project) a 8x10 Kodak View #2 camera, the so-called improved model from the Century and Empire State cameras. I am puzzled about some aspects of what I have and would welcome comments. I want to at least restore it to original operation, no plans now to actually take photos.

The camera has a Packard shutter mounted behind the lens, with two air cylinders -one to open and one to close the shutter (they still operate). But the camera came with a lens shutter combination mounted - the Victor between-the-lens model made by Bausch and Lomb. It has its own shutter, so why the Packard? My guess is that it is just left over from a conversion? And how did the photographer take photos using two air bulbs?

The Victor shutter is missing the external components (the two air cylinders and speed control) so I will have to obtain a replacement lens/shutter anyway. What should I seek- was the Victor originally used on this camera? I am undecided if to obtain another lens/shutter like the B&L Victor or to seek a barrel type lens and use the Packard- comments welcome.

The B&L lens does not seem large enough for portraits or similar work. I understand 300mm or more lens is needed. There are no markings on this lens, so how do I determine the focal length- just measure the width? With this existing lens what photo work might it have been used for?

I have a similar view camera I obtained for parts-no lens- probably a Kodak 8x10 Model 1 or 2D. It has a Packard shutter mounted behind the lens, but with only one air cylinder. How would the photographer use that?

No film holders came with it, but I have obtained one 8x10 holder that takes glass plates. What would this camera have used- glass plates or sheet film- or can it operate with either (but I assume the holders must match the film type, or can sheet film be used in holders sized for glass plates)?

I know I have thrown a lot of questions out there, but advice on any or all parts would be appreciated.

Jon Shiu
24-May-2014, 19:46
There are metal film inserts that you can put into plate holders. I have some that need refinishing if you want them.

If you do a search on Packard shutters you can learn all about how the two piston and single piston ones work.

Jon

Andrew Plume
25-May-2014, 01:57
here's my few cents worth:

1) I would ditch the Packard and the lens, cut a replacement lens board (if necessary) and pick up a suitable lens that will cover what you're aiming for; and

2) I've seen plenty of these Kodak glass/dry plate holders, imo without a glass plate "as a support", they're not suitable for sheet film use

good luck with your project

andrew

ic-racer
25-May-2014, 06:01
You may find useful information in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration&highlight

Account8600
25-May-2014, 11:26
There are metal film inserts that you can put into plate holders. I have some that need refinishing if you want them.

If you do a search on Packard shutters you can learn all about how the two piston and single piston ones work.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the reply and offer on the metal inserts- I may take you up on that as I progress. I thought of trying to pick them up since I am in Palo Alto until the end of this week, (before I return to Washington DC.), but Elk is too far a drive.

Ken

Jon Shiu
25-May-2014, 13:16
Hi, if you aren't going to ever use glass plates, perhaps it would be easier just to trade your plate holder for a modern film holder. If in good shape they are about the same cost.

I can mail the inserts, no problem.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the reply and offer on the metal inserts- I may take you up on that as I progress. I thought of trying to pick them up since I am in Palo Alto until the end of this week, (before I return to Washington DC.), but Elk is too far a drive.

Ken

Account8600
25-May-2014, 13:18
Thanks for your reference. I read your whole story- and it is a great one. You are obviously a good photographer and craftsman, but also a good journalist too.I have restored antique clocks and music boxes, but this is my first camera- thus your experience is valuable for me.

I am still uncertain on lenses for my #2 view. The B&L Victor. Volute, and Unicum lens/shutters I found on my camera (and photos of other 8x10s) look so small, I wonder if they can cover all the 8x10 image area? Any thoughts?

Ken

Andrew Plume
25-May-2014, 13:36
Ken

it looks as though my advice/comments have turned out to be something of a 'non event'...................oh well...................

it's a Worldwide forum here, y'know, not just a Con-48 forum etc etc and a really valuable resource to the wider LF community

andrew