PDA

View Full Version : 411 Holmes, Booth and Hayden Lens

Pluto1979
23-May-2014, 21:01
We found in our garage an item with the markings NO 411 Holms Booth and Hayden's. It's a very large brass item and what we think to be a type of camera lens maybe from get 1800's. Can you please give me any information as to what we have, what it is used for, it's age and worth? Any information would be great. We just purchased this house and found this item and would love to know more about it!

Many thanks,
Adam

cyrus
23-May-2014, 22:35
Does it look like this, sorta?
http://www.gordonmoat.com/HBH_on_Linhof.jpg

If so, it is totally worthless and you should send it to me ASAP because I lost it in your house way back before you bought the place.

You should check with Gordon Moat.
http://hbh.gordonmoat.com/

gordonmoat.com
He will hopefullty confirm that you must send it to me.

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 06:17
Yes it does look like that! I will be sure to send it to you right away!
Here are two pics of what the item looks like. Thanks for e help!
Adam

Does it look like this, sorta?
http://www.gordonmoat.com/HBH_on_Linhof.jpg

If so, it is totally worthless and you should send it to me ASAP because I lost it in your house way back before you bought the place.

You should check with Gordon Moat.
http://hbh.gordonmoat.com/

gordonmoat.com
He will hopefullty confirm that you must send it to me.

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 06:27
Here are some additional photos. Hopefully this will help anyone in telling me what we have and anything about it! The lens seem to be perfect and we have not cleaned it since the patina is just wonderful. We also don't know how to clean it to be sure we do not ruin anything. Thanks for e help with this! Any info would be great and so would a value of course. We could donate it to a museum we have up here in Maine if it is worth something. Wish I knew anything about cameras. If we are missing pieces please tell us what so we can look for them in the loft.

Thanks
Adam.

pierre506
24-May-2014, 10:06
Dear Adam,
It would be just for decoration if you donated it to a museum.
It would produce lots of beautiful images if you donated it to a real photographer.

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 10:25
That is true. We are also thinking of selling it once we know anything and everything there is to know about it.

QUOTE=pierre506;1140718]Dear Adam,
It would be just for decoration if you donated it to a museum.
It would produce lots of beautiful images if you donated it to a real photographer.[/QUOTE]

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 10:32
If anyone has more information about this lens including the value can you please let me know. I would like to know what it is and everything there is to know about it before I place it up for sale. Also where on this forum do we list for items we wish to sell?

Thanks
Adam

goamules
24-May-2014, 11:11
I sent you a PM. I can tell you everything you want to know about these, I have several, and study the lenses of this period. One of mine:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3155/2929646366_6032b15995_o.jpg

And a plate taken of my sleeping daughter with a Holmes Booth Haydens.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4014/4589162058_21bf53ae03_z.jpg

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 11:37
Wow! That's incredible! Thanks! I sent you a message and will be use to call!
Thanks
Adam

goamules
24-May-2014, 11:59
Hi, thanks for the PM. I'm not going to bid on it, if you are getting so many offers. Regarding your quote of it "being worth $2,000 - $4,000 maybe more" I hate to say someone is very mistaken. A Dallmeyer 3B doesn't go for that nowadays, the more obscure ones go for less....supply and demand. Here are some example sales just on this forum, I've bought many, and they need to have the knob (yours is missing) and flange (again...missing) to get top dollar. And top dollar is well below your figure:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?81345-2-Two-Holmes-Booth-amp-Haydens-Petzval-s&highlight=holmes+booth
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?67907-FS-Half-plate-Holmes-Booth-and-Haydens&highlight=holmes+booth

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 13:31
Hi Garrett,
Please understand that it is not my quote! As I said I have been getting so many quotes and emails from people claiming to know what it is and what it is worth with the range being so wide that I am not use whom to believe! I will be sure to call you to ask you more about it.

Thanks!
Adam

BrianShaw
24-May-2014, 13:59
I'm more interested in that Mickey Mouse paper towel holder. Very cool!

BrianShaw
24-May-2014, 14:18
Wow... you're in luck... there was a thread on this very same topic yesterday. Check it out for the information you seek!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?113787-What-do-we-have

Andrew Plume
24-May-2014, 14:27
.........err..........

seriously Adam, no disrespect intended but how many posts does it really take (from you) to get (some) information regarding this line of lenses?

andrew

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 15:35
I will post anywhere I wish so that I get as many answers as possible! I don't think 2 posts is exorbitant as you may seem.

.........err..........

seriously Adam, no disrespect intended but how many posts does it really take (from you) to get (some) information regarding this line of lenses?

andrew

goamules
24-May-2014, 19:19
I will post anywhere I wish so that I get as many answers as possible! I don't think 2 posts is exorbitant as you may seem.

Good way to isolate yourself from the experts. I think you better reconsider how you come onto this forum hunting for info just so you can sell an item. We are all professional photographers here, this isn't a free appraisal service. You just torqued two very nice, experienced, subject matter experts. Life is give and take. This is a large format photography forum, not a marketplace. You come here, play by the rules (no excessive posting, no selling for new members, and more) and you get information given freely by busy, knowledgeable folks. But you don't get to come here and make your own rules.

Roger Thoms
24-May-2014, 19:23

Not exorbitant, just one too many.

Roger

goamules
24-May-2014, 19:25
Yep, that happens. I should have made it clear you didn't say that, but said someone else told you that. Look at it this way; talk is cheap. If the person who told you it's "worth $4,000" wants to give you that, he's right. If he's just talking, not paying, it's - meaningless. No HBH has ever sold for that that I know of, certainly not one missing a knob, flange, and not a Mammoth size.

Pluto1979
24-May-2014, 20:40
I think it is somewhat rude to assume someone is here trying to sell something to a larger audience. As a brand new member I posted in the other furm not seeing that I probably should have posted my questions in this one since this is a lens. That is why I reposted my question in this forum. As I stated before I am not trying to sell this item at this time. I thought that maybe by seeing what is for sale I might get a better understanding of what I have. You are correct in saying that I am lucky to get answers from professionals. I also think it is sad that some professionals are making very low-ball offers for something that I am not even trying to sell at this time. Others have been great and offered their help with my questions and I am thankful. I don't think anyone should jump the gun on assuming something without really knowing what I am trying to get at.

I thank those that have helped and do not think anyone should disrespect another member because they thought that maybe they should repost in another more appropriate area.

Once again, thank you to all those who have given of their time to answer my questions about this item. I have received pvt messages saying this is just a decorative item and they would buy it for $50.00 and others who have said exactly what I needed to hear, what the item is and used for and the date of when it might have been made. I have also received an offer for $750.00 and was told to sell it on this site, which I do not intend to do since it will make for a lovely piece to place somewhere in my home and then maybe one day to sell it so someone can once again use it. Thanks to those who have also been patient with a new member!

Adam

Mark Sawyer
24-May-2014, 22:42
If anyone has more information about this lens including the value can you please let me know. I would like to know what it is and everything there is to know about it before I place it up for sale. Also where on this forum do we list for items we wish to sell?

As I stated before I am not trying to sell this item at this time.

Well, I guess that clears that up...

Tim Meisburger
24-May-2014, 23:17
No worries mate. It takes a while to get the hang of the forum. Usually if we post in the wrong area, you can request the moderators to move the post. that way you don't have to post twice.

Regarding your lens, I don't know what it is worth, but I think the $50 offer was a joke. If I were you, I would start looking round for a nice camera to mount that lens on, as it would display nicer. Then some other odds and ends, and you can use it!

Its a slippery slope but a hell of a ride.

rdenney
25-May-2014, 09:09
Welcome to the large-format photography forum. This is a forum for current and prospective practitioners of large-format photography, and sales are allowed only with established members. Please don't offer things for sale except in the for-sale forum, which will become visible to you a month after you registered. We are sensitive to new members trying to work around the guidelines on this non-commercial site. Thank you for understanding.

On a personal note, also understand that forums each have their personalities, and it takes some time reading and participating to understand them. People here love to help, but don't like being taken for granted.

Join in the discussions and that month will go by quickly enough.

Rick "your friendly neighborhood moderator" Denney

rdenney
25-May-2014, 09:16
Wow... you're in luck... there was a thread on this very same topic yesterday. Check it out for the information you seek!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?113787-What-do-we-have

Rick "threads merged" Denney

BrianShaw
25-May-2014, 09:26
Rick "threads merged" Denney

If you have a moment and really want to be a nice guy, perhaps changing the title to use the second threads title, "No 411 Holmes, Booth and Hayden Lens". Might help get the information faster.

p.s. Thanks for your service as mod! :)

William Whitaker
25-May-2014, 10:34

Looks like you have already "listed" it. In fact, this looks to me like little more than a thinly-veiled auction, which is expressly verboten on this forum.

hoffner
25-May-2014, 11:04
Looks like you have already "listed" it. In fact, this looks to me more like a thinly-veiled auction, which is expressly verboten on this forum.

You're absolutely right. The guy has expressed his will to sell, has quoted PM offers to encourage more of them and is glad to have this free advertising for his sale to continue. Moderators should have deleted the thread altogether. Or do they want to have this "sale model" being copycat?

rdenney
26-May-2014, 07:50
You're absolutely right. The guy has expressed his will to sell, has quoted PM offers to encourage more of them and is glad to have this free advertising for his sale to continue. Moderators should have deleted the thread altogether. Or do they want to have this "sale model" being copycat?

If you have an issue, report it. Asking about what something is or its value is not a for-sale posting, and if it is, a lot of similar requests from older members would have to be deleted, too.

We interpret things as we see them, and judge as best we can.

Rick "keeping watch" Denney

hoffner
26-May-2014, 09:57
If you have an issue, report it. Asking about what something is or its value is not a for-sale posting, and if it is, a lot of similar requests from older members would have to be deleted, too.

We interpret things as we see them, and judge as best we can.

Rick "keeping watch" Denney

I have reported it. If you do not see in this thread a sale barely hidden it's not because of my poor judgement. Expect more copycats coming.
BTW the old members are free to ask for a value of their equipment since they have passed the barrier of 1 month membership. All the difference is there.

Brassai
31-May-2014, 18:13
Too bad this thread turned negative. I don't mind if someone pops in with a lens and wanting to know about it, but agree this was a semi-ad. The sad thing is this is another case where someone who doesn't really know anything about lenses gets a little greedy. There's no way the lens is worth $2,000. I've bought my share of pre-Civil War lenses--Derogy, Grubb, Voightlander, Jamin, Ross, Wood--and have passed on HBH lenses in better condition going for less than a thousand. My guess is it's worth ~$500--$800, depending on whether it covers 8x10 or not. Myself, I'm not interested as I'm only buying lenses made before 1850 now.