PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Velvia Film Sold at $20 a Sheet

RedSun
23-May-2014, 14:24
I saw several boxes of 8x10 reversal films were sold at about $20 a sheet. Just amazing. Check this eBay item: 291116280056

Just wonder who is buying?

Richard Johnson
23-May-2014, 14:37
8x10 Kodak Portra 400 is $16.49 per sheet and it's a current product so why would it surprise you that Velvia, being out of production, is $20 per?

Shootar401
23-May-2014, 14:45
Thats about right. I roughly paid a little over $20 a sheet.

Nothing new here

RedSun
23-May-2014, 15:07
Sry my bad. I thought it would be cheaper. I can't afford at this rate. Would try to find cheap Chinese make BW 4x5.

At $20/sheet, I'm just curious about the cost and payout etc. You'll need the clients, or sell enough prints to recover the costs....

Lachlan 717
23-May-2014, 15:24
Andrew,

Have a look at Ben Horne's Youtube videos if you're interested in how someone shoots 8x10 Velvia.

He'll spend 5+ days on a trip and maybe expose 4 sheets.

Brian C. Miller
23-May-2014, 15:34
B&H: Fujifilm RVP 8 x 10" Fujichrome Velvia 100 Professional Color Slide Film (20 Sheets) (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/708379-USA/Fujifilm_16010394_RVP_8_x_10.html)

At the current price of $268.50 for 20, that's $13.43 per sheet.

(rant template="Foamy the Squirrel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdZPU65UJk&feature=kp)")
eBay? EBAY??? Is there any f------ reason to buy currently imported film on eBay??? Those sellers are screwing you in the ***! Stop buying film from eBay! You want that film? Buy it fresh! Buy it from a number of retailers! You're shooting 8x10. Of course the film is more expensive than 4x5! You are shooting a whole f------ roll of 35mm at one time! One click is a whole roll of 35mm or 120! And of course there's a premium on 8x10, because nobody uses it! At least it's the biggest size that you can actually just order it over the counter. Not like saving up $20,000 and ordering 11x14 Portra or Ektar through Canham, is it? This is 8x10! This is a f------- bazooka! You want cheap? Pull out your phone! This is the big leagues! Think big, and you're gonna spend big! Big film! Big price! Big results! Point it at something that's worth $13.43 a shot plus processing! And enjoy it!
(/rant)

RedSun
23-May-2014, 16:05
Andrew,

Have a look at Ben Horne's Youtube videos if you're interested in how someone shoots 8x10 Velvia.

He'll spend 5+ days on a trip and maybe expose 4 sheets.

Then how much money can he make from the trip? just curious. Of course, he spend most the time searching for the scene. Then he can use digital camera to test shoot before he commits. But I'll take a look at the Youtube.

Then I was going through Flicr large format photos. A lot of them are just for fun. I do not know if anyone there would burn the sheet film like burning paper money. There is no luxury with a $20 film....

vinny
23-May-2014, 17:01
Velvia 50 isn't sold in the u.s any longer so it's only available on ebay or a place like japan expo$ure$.
Velvia 100 (insert red midtones/shadows here)is a poor substitute for the original velvia.
I shoot a lot of 8x10 transparency film but it's from my freezer and i usually paid $1-2/sheet. I once walked into Freestyle Photo on sunset blvd after hearing about a pile of 8x10 e100vs in the freezer. I walked out with 150 sheets for $60. Hell yeah.

ic-racer
23-May-2014, 17:04
I saw several boxes of 8x10 reversal films were sold at about $20 a sheet. Just amazing. Check this eBay item: 291116280056

Just wonder who is buying?

Perhaps the notion that reasonably priced 'fresh film' is available is discounted as an Urban Legend by the millions of people in the world that believe film is no longer being made.

RedSun
23-May-2014, 17:45
I can only afford to shoot Tri-x Ortho expired in 1983. I just want to empty my film boxes and decide what to do with my cameras :o

Brian C. Miller
23-May-2014, 19:23
Shoot x-ray film, or paper. There's quite a few on the forum who do that. Take a look at the threads in the Image section for examples.

jbenedict
23-May-2014, 20:59
I'm looking to expose some ortho film and develop as continuous tone . I've read how others have done it using a low contrast paper developer such as Selectol Soft. Since it is ortho, I'm going to see if I can learn developing by inspection. The price certainly is at a point that I wouldn't mind shooting a dozen sheets or so to test ISO and developer times.

I've heard x-ray film mentioned a few times. Where does one get x-ray film? The hospital I use went all digital three years ago and I imagine many other hospitals are doing the same thing.

muihlinn
23-May-2014, 22:37
Ultrafine has velvia cheaper

grzybu
26-May-2014, 02:23
Here in Europe I just order x-ray film in desired size over Internet.
It's cheap (about $30 for 100 18x24cm sheets) and you can develop by inspection which is really nice because you don't have to worry about fresh developer, temperature etc. I know I have to add glass of fresh D-23 when developing starts to take longer than usual.
Just wait until your highlights are fine and then stop developing. I'm using three bright red LEDs connected to 4xAA battery pack. Works great and no fogging on x-ray film.
I can't afford paying for normal 8x10 film, but x-ray makes fun with large format possible.

Brian C. Miller
27-May-2014, 07:24
I've heard x-ray film mentioned a few times. Where does one get x-ray film?

A Google search brings up a number of mail order suppliers. Kodak makes a single-sided film (link (http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film/kodak-x-ray-film/8x10-in-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html)). The other x-ray films are double-sided.

Sal Santamaura
27-May-2014, 07:38
...Kodak makes a single-sided film (link (http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film/kodak-x-ray-film/8x10-in-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html))...How many sheets are in that box?

Kevin J. Kolosky
8-Jun-2014, 19:14
I can only afford to shoot Tri-x Ortho expired in 1983. I just want to empty my film boxes and decide what to do with my cameras :o

Or you could find extra work and be able to afford more.

Jim Becia
9-Jun-2014, 05:46
Just a heads up. Adorama currently is selling a 20 sheet box of 8x10 Velvia 100 for $224.90 a box. I know it isn't Velvia 50, but under the right conditions, the film does a very nice job, and at this price of about $11 a sheet that really is not too bad of a price. I just received a couple of boxes and put them in the freezer.

koh303
9-Jun-2014, 09:31
They also have it listed on Ebay at that price, and seems like they have quite a few in stock. Seeing how this is now cheaper the portra, anyone who was complaining about cost of 8X10 reversal should be buying them out ASAP!