PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 4x5 Serial Number Assistance

David Robson
23-May-2014, 11:55
Hello,

I recently purchased the Linhof V (with three matching lenses). The serial number of the camera is 2152668. The three Rodenstock lenses that came with the camera are a 90mm, 135mm and 150mm. All three lenses are on Linhof boards - was this normal for these three lenses to come with this particular camera as a package? Also is it possible to find out the year of manufacture?

Thanks in advance!

David Robson

Bob Salomon
23-May-2014, 12:11
Linhof, when the V was current, supplied lenses from Rodenstock, Zeiss and Schneider so yes, it was common. But it was also common to have 3 lens Schneider or Zeiss lens sets as well as mixed sets. Are these lenses Linhof engraved on either the lens or the shutter? If so they were Linhof tested lenses and could have been supplied with the camera or at a later date. If they are not Linhof engraved lenses then they were not sold by Linhof and may or may not have been bought with the camera. But that is also true for lenses with Linhof engraving also.
Your camera is from 1969/70.

David Robson
23-May-2014, 12:22
Hi Bob,
Much appreciation The 90mm lens is a Super-Angulon Schneider with the name 'Technika' in red on the face of this lens. I don't see an engraving otherwise but I have not removed it from the lens board. The 135mm is a Rodenstock but shows nothing else to relate it to the Linhof. The 150 mm lens is also a Schneider and like the 90mm has the name Technika in red on the front of the lens mount.

Thanks for the year and your assistance!
David

Bob Salomon
23-May-2014, 12:35
Hi Bob,
Much appreciation The 90mm lens is a Super-Angulon Schneider with the name 'Technika' in red on the face of this lens. I don't see an engraving otherwise but I have not removed it from the lens board. The 135mm is a Rodenstock but shows nothing else to relate it to the Linhof. The 150 mm lens is also a Schneider and like the 90mm has the name Technika in red on the front of the lens mount.

Thanks for the year and your assistance!
David

Then the 90 and the 150 were Linhof tested and supplied, maybe with the camera, the 135mm was added later and was not supplied directly from Linhof.

If you were to buy a lens today, maybe a new Rodenstock (only 135mm 150mm and 210mm Apo Sironar-S lenses are made now for analog), or a used lens through here or an auction, etc. then it can be mounted on a Linhof board and sent to the camping service center and it can be cammed just like 135mm was. It would include the cam, cutting the cam, the Infinity Stops and the Focusing Scale. But like your 135mm it would not have the Linhof name on it.
Or, while they last, you can order a new Linhof supplied Rodenstock or Schneider lens that is supplied and tested by Linhof and, if it is ordered with the lens board and the coupling package, would come mounted on the board at the factory and the box would include the cut cam, the Focusing Scale and the Infinity Stops. That lens would have the Linhof name on the lens.

RussPhoto
16-Apr-2015, 01:09
Hello Bob,
I have Linhof Color 4x5 with serial # 101442 and Linhof Symmar lens with serial # 7571511. Can you tell me please when it was made? Thanks so much!