PDA

View Full Version : Help with mounting copal #3 shutter

ahrim
22-May-2014, 06:52
Hello,

I am quite new to the large format and this forum. Recently, I bought second hand Imagon 200mm H5.8 with black Copal #3. It's mounted on wista lens board with space ring(don't know the official name). I want to temporary remove the shutter from the board to clean it. The problem is I don't know how to remove the lens. I have experience with remounting copal #0 and #1, but I can't find anyway to screw off the shutter. I had successfully removed both front and the back element(front element is just a ring). There aren't any notch to use the shutter wrench I have.

So the question is: How do I remove Copal #3 shutter?

Please tell me if there is a manual on the internet, or if there is same post in the past.

Thanks

Bob Salomon
22-May-2014, 06:57
What are you trying to clean on the back of the shutter?

As to mounting or unmounting shutters you should get a proper wrench like the Rodenstock. It has the proper nothches for all 0, 1 and 3 shutters unlike others like the Toyo that only handle 0 and 1 sizes.

But there isn't anything on the back of the shutter that would normally require removing the shutter from the board for cleaning. If you want to clean the Imagon lens then you just unscrew it from the back of the shutter. Shutter removal is not required to do that.

ahrim
22-May-2014, 07:13
Thanks Bob for the quick reply. The last owner of the lens taped the shutter badly(not to move the aperture blade). The whole shutter is a bit sticky. So I wanted fully to clean the shutter from all sides. If this lens is not made to be unmounted I will just take it to proper place, but of course if I can do it on my own I want to do it.
Also this isn't major problem but the shutter is slightly set in wrong angle. I want to rotate the shutter a little bit so I have easier time setting the aperture.

Bob Salomon
22-May-2014, 07:44
Thanks Bob for the quick reply. The last owner of the lens taped the shutter badly(not to move the aperture blade). The whole shutter is a bit sticky. So I wanted fully to clean the shutter from all sides. If this lens is not made to be unmounted I will just take it to proper place, but of course if I can do it on my own I want to do it.
Also this isn't major problem but the shutter is slightly set in wrong angle. I want to rotate the shutter a little bit so I have easier time setting the aperture.

Since the aperture in the shutter should not be used with an Imagon to get the proper effect from an Imagon taping the aperture lever down is commonly done and recommended. The Rodenstock wrench is about the same size as the Toyo wrench, if that is what you have.

The Rodenstock wrench, see image, will let you easily do that by just slightly loosening the jam nut/mounting flange.115733

ahrim
23-May-2014, 06:24
Thank you Bob, I was able to remove the shutter.
It was that the shutter was too strongly screwed onto the wista extended board.