PDA

View Full Version : Which 4x5 camera for field work with a 90mm lens?

thicktheo
20-May-2014, 00:44
I've been doing a lot of suburban landscape with the Speed Graphic and a Schneider Angulon 90mm/f6.8. This lens fits perfectly on the SG, but I don't get to have lots of movements and its soft on the edges. So I bought a Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6, and to my horror I discovered that it barely fits the SG... I have to unscrew the back element, mount the front element, then remove the ground glass and screw the back element on again.

This, and the inability to do a proper rise, got me thinking... is there a nice kinda-heap field camera setup for a 90mm lens? I won't be using any other lenses with this setup, only the Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6. The main camera requirements are that it should have ample rise and some shift, that it should be portable (trying to stay away from monorails but I'm open to the idea if they fold up nicely...) and, if possible, that it should provide some kind of ground glass shading like the SG does. And also kinda cheap (maximum $500 maybe).

Is there such a thing?

And what's with the Shen Hao 45 Shift Field Camera (http://www.ffordes.com/assets/Product_images/10072316359211/P4261400.jpg) and other similar cameras?

Pete Watkins
20-May-2014, 01:52
I was using my 90mm SA on Saturday with my Sinar Norma with one short rail and the bag bellows. That set up is fairly light but very sturdy. The 90mm also works well on my Wista 45DX.
Pete.

richardman
20-May-2014, 01:58
The Shen Hao looks like a wide angle lenscone, may be 65mm?

Lenscone camera is good for what they do: sturdy, easy to set up. I have one with the main idea of using it for long/night exposure. Its downsides are: 1) probably no more than 15mm rise and no shift, 2) closest focusing is probably ~7-10 feet. Bulky if you need more than one lens. If you end up with a Gaoersi 45PS, I have a 135mm lenscone for sale :-)

Drew Bedo
20-May-2014, 04:50
One year (?) here were two articles in View Camera Magazine—in the 2000 to 2005 range—that described simple modifications to the Speed Graphic that allowed usable front tilt and swing. You are already comfortable with the S-G, why not keep it, do the mods, and shoot away?

Unless, of course, you really want another camera and bigger glass. A photographer shouldn't need a reason to want more photo gear. By adding a more versatile camera/lens to your kit you would free up the Angulon to be used on a Wanderlust Travelwide for grab-shot street images.

John Kasaian
20-May-2014, 05:22
If getting the camera bed in the fore ground is an issue you can either drop the bed if the camera allows, or perhaps use an old wood flat bed camera which allows you to move the lens board to the front of the bed and focus moving the rear standard --I can do that with my old Agfa-Ansco which has a five and something inch by five and something inch lens board (the 4x5 and 5x7 were the same, only with different ggs) These aren't expensive cameras.

Dan Fromm
20-May-2014, 05:42
To expand a little on Drew Bedo's suggestion and to expose my ignorance of 4x5 Speed Graphics, if y'r 90/5.6 Fuji makes infinity with the front standard inside the box, you can gain more front rise by dismantling the front standard and removing the wire frame finder. There's no way to get usable shift, though, 'cos with such a short lens the shift available is limited by the box and the bed struts.

Regular Rod
20-May-2014, 05:44
I've been doing a lot of suburban landscape with the Speed Graphic and a Schneider Angulon 90mm/f6.8. This lens fits perfectly on the SG, but I don't get to have lots of movements and its soft on the edges.

That seems wrong...

I have a number of those lenses and each of them is as sharp as a tack from edge to edge...

Does it need a service and clean?

RR

Bill_1856
20-May-2014, 07:00
I can't imagine needing more rise than what's already available on a late Speed/Crown Graphic in Landscape mode. If the problem is with vertical shots, you might consider the Super Graphic or Busch model D.

jbenedict
20-May-2014, 08:56
A Calumet Wide Angle 4x5 would work. Mechanically, it is similar to the CC400 but with a short rail and a 'baggish' bellows. (An accordion bellows but very flexible). It will do 90 on a flat board and might do a 65 on a flat board also (I don't have a 65 to try). I haven't tried it but it might stretch to handle a 150 or so. Very light, very compact and, possibly, very cheap.

Ari
20-May-2014, 09:21
Wista 45D is commonly available and often around $500.
Or, if you want to stay with the Graphic, I've had my own camera's plate enlarged at a machine shop to accommodate the rear element of a Wide Field Ektar; maybe there's room to open the hole a little more on the Graphic.

AJ Edmondson
20-May-2014, 11:18
I have to agree with jbenedict... for 90mm with a flat board the Calumet Wide-Angle is hard to beat! It is short enough and light enough to handle without too much aggravation, handles up to a 210mm (with a reversed recessed lensboard) and can be had for little money.

Joel

Bob Salomon
20-May-2014, 12:16
I have to agree with jbenedict... for 90mm with a flat board the Calumet Wide-Angle is hard to beat! It is short enough and light enough to handle without too much aggravation, handles up to a 210mm (with a reversed recessed lensboard) and can be had for little money.

Joel

A "reversed recessed board" would be an extension board.

jnantz
20-May-2014, 13:00
i have and use a chrome super angulon ( 90 ) and a 1980s vintage 65m super angulon
on my speed, they are both great on that camera .. never had trouble ( 4-6 years )
and use them often ..

EdSawyer
20-May-2014, 14:20
Sell the fuji, get a Nikkor 90/8. It's smaller, sharper, has at least as much coverage, and will mount with no issues on the SG.

ic-racer
20-May-2014, 18:06
] I won't be using any other lenses with this setup, only the Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6. The main camera requirements are that it should have ample rise and some shift, that it should be portable

Just about any 'modern' field camera should be able to use that lens. You might also consider a 'wide angle' field camera, like the Titan (http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html), the TFC45-IIB or SW45.

thicktheo
21-May-2014, 02:45
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely give the SG - Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 combo a try before I start checking other cameras. It's just that the wide-angle lack of movements is kinda frustrating.

I also have a Omega (Toyo) View 45D for studio work, and I am not really comfortable carrying such a huge camera outdoors. However, I do have lots of lensboards (as well as a SG-Toyo View adapter) for this camera, so maybe I could look for a short-rail bag-bellows version of it.

The Wista 45 also looks nice, and there's a couple of them on eB*y right now.

What I ultimately want is an easy-to-carry-and-setup camera that can give me as much rise as the lens allows.

About the Angulon - it's a very nice compact lens, but on the few times I used it below f/22 I got soft corners, and it also doesn't allow any kind of rise. I bought the Fujinon for its big image circle and for the f5.6 (easier to compose and focus, even indoors). No point in selling it for a f/8 lens right now - plus I'm in Europe, where buying and selling such things is harder than the US.

EdSawyer
21-May-2014, 12:22
Another reason to sell it is the Nikkor 90/8 will fold up inside the SG. (and even inside a Crown graphic, if you notch the rails for the front element. )

bruce cahn
21-May-2014, 13:57
My choice is the Ebony 45S, a non folding camera that takes a 90mm on a flat board.