PDA

View Full Version : Moersch Tanol, What to do for CI .50 as Sandy King advised

Mustafa Umut Sarac
19-May-2014, 17:02
I searched the threads and found that Sandy King advised .50 CI for Tanol.I want to try that developer for scanning and put to the gallery and he advised lower contrast gives exceptional sharpness at scanning.

I will start to use that developer on my Leica with Polypan F at 50 ASA and want to learn the needed time, heat, agitation , dilution.

After finding the balance , I will use Shangai with Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54/2 from 1928 , 6x9.

Than I will use it on Vermeer Pinhole Camera with Shangai.

Latest , I will use DIY 6X17 Anamophic Pinhole Camera with Shangai also.

If you give me help for Polypan F and Shangai , I would be glad.

Thank you ,

By the way , I first heard CI and I have very slight idea.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

HeinrichVoelkel
19-May-2014, 23:14
Wolfgang Moersch does rate the Pan F at 25 ASA

Use the drop down menue on this

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/rechner

for your Tanol-PanF combination and choose a temperature you want to use, you will get the development time you need for 25 ASA.

Did you see the Tanol tutorial in English? http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/files/articles/Tanol%20ENGLISH%2023-4-2014.pdf

Mustafa Umut Sarac
19-May-2014, 23:32
Hello Heinrich Voelkel,

Thank you for your help. As clarifying things for non 35mm users , Polypan F and Pan F is not the same film. Pan F is Ilford brand , Polypan F is - noone knows the source - is a Cine Film copy film and some say worst bw film in the world , I saw some very very high quality results with that film and 13 x 36 exposure rolls costs me 10 euros , 1/10 of Pan F.

I visited your link and there is no Shangai or above film registered in the database.

But there is still good people and they say polypan f is when used at 32 ASA , needed 12 minutes in 1+1+100 dilution with per 1 minute agitation.

I am not expert but Sandy King advises that , if you would scan your results , its best to decrease Contrast Index to 0.50.

From what I see , may be I would cut the development time 1/3 but I am extremelly new in to it and I need advise.

Thanks,

Umut

HeinrichVoelkel
19-May-2014, 23:43
Hello Umut, sorry, my bad, I did read you post wrong. Polypan for sure is not Pan F.

In any case I would contact Walter Moersch directly by email and see what he has to say about Shanghai film.

Regards

HeinrichVoelkel
19-May-2014, 23:46
I general my experience is, that for scanning film should be flatter in gradation and underdeveloped by 10%, if you don't want to exagerate grain.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
20-May-2014, 00:04
Hello Heinrich,

Only % 10. Thats good news , what is the contrast index of % 10 underdeveloped film ? And What is the CI of non treated film. I am asking for tanol or other pyro developer.

Thank you,

Umut

HeinrichVoelkel
20-May-2014, 00:13
Hello Umut, 10% is a generalization on my behalf. I generally use only one film and one developer or two. I once did run a test and the negatives were almost blank, only some highlights and a few midtones visible. But they did scan quite well. This was extreme, but did show me a direction.
Sandy King is probably right with his more scientific approach, so I guess 0.50 is the way to go.

All the best, Heinrich

sanking
20-May-2014, 07:41
CI is a term used by Kodak to describe average slope or gradient of film, and is similar to Ilford's Average Gradient. CI and Average Gradient are the modern versions of Gamma.

A CI of 0.50 gives a negative that is fairly low in contrast and should scan well with any scanner, including inexpensive consumer models that have low dynamic range. However, there is nothing magical about the number. One could develop to a much lower CI and get a good scan, or to a slightly higher CI and get a good scan. The main issue is that the highlight contrast not be so high that the dynamic range of the scanner is not able to capture it.

Once the negative is scanned we an then adjust the overall contrast of the image file as needed.

Sandy