PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Guillotine shutter?

Jim Galli
18-May-2014, 17:04
Just saw this thing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-dust-collector-air-flow-control-97497.html

Cheap enough to graft some of them together for length and then put a sliding guillotine inside.

Tin Can
18-May-2014, 17:13
Great find. I'm buying a couple.

Thanks!

Jim Galli
18-May-2014, 17:25
Let us know if anything comes of it.

Tin Can
18-May-2014, 17:32
I also may use them for my exhaust air system.

I see I have a store 4 miles away, so I will visit rather than mail order.

Let us know if anything comes of it.

jp
18-May-2014, 17:53
I'd be poor or spoiled if I had a harbor freight 4 miles away! 4 miles just gets me to the nearest convenience store here.

I bet you could chop the bottom 1/4" off something like that and make some dark slide slots to drop through that.

Tin Can
18-May-2014, 18:01
4 miles of inner city Chicago. At midnight it's quick, but at business hours it will be 45 minutes each way.

Some say you can get anywhere in Chicago in 20 minutes.

If you drive fast enough.

We also just got speedcams and I need to slow down...

I'd be poor or spoiled if I had a harbor freight 4 miles away! 4 miles just gets me to the nearest convenience store here.

I bet you could chop the bottom 1/4" off something like that and make some dark slide slots to drop through that.

Michael Cienfuegos
19-May-2014, 11:39
Eat your hearts out! I have one within a mile of my home. It takes five minutes if I hit the two red lights along the way. It's harder to find a parking spot than it is to drive.

m

BrianShaw
19-May-2014, 11:57
What kind of shutter speed tester would be best to time that???

Dan Fromm
19-May-2014, 14:30

stopwatch

Jac@stafford.net
24-May-2014, 07:50

Grandfather clock.

dsphotog
29-May-2014, 22:30
It's tough to go there for just one thing, without buying a bunch of stuff I didn't know I needed....
All part of their plan.

ghostcount
30-May-2014, 07:18
A man's Disneyland.

Jim Noel
30-May-2014, 16:06
It's tough to go there for just one thing, without buying a bunch of stuff I didn't know I needed....
All part of their plan.
That's the plan of every store. Did you ever go to Costco and buy a single item?
Mail orderf from Harbor Freight is very efficient. I just bought 3 of the items.

dsphotog
30-May-2014, 17:49
That's the plan of every store. Did you ever go to Costco and buy a single item?
Mail orderf from Harbor Freight is very efficient. I just bought 3 of the items.

Exactly, My local "Horrible Freight Tools" is next door to the closest grocery store, so I don't need an excuse to visit.

Carsten Wolff
3-Jun-2014, 11:59
Eat your hearts out! I have one within a mile of my home. It takes five minutes if I hit the two red lights along the way. It's harder to find a parking spot than it is to drive.
m

Worth walking then :)

Michael Cienfuegos
4-Jun-2014, 09:20
Worth walking then :)

I would if it weren't for the uphill climb returning home. :p

Drew Wiley
4-Jun-2014, 11:26
Yeah... Harbor Freight is great for exercise, 'cause everything they sell breaks within five minutes, so you just have to walk back over and over. I personally prefer
to make just one trip and back to some nice hill carrying an 8x10 camera.

Simon Benton
9-Jun-2014, 12:44
Maybe option for smaller lenses and Canadian members?

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/BLAST-GATE-2-1%7B47%7D2IN..html

Photo Dave
16-Jun-2014, 18:02
So… what’s the verdict, will they work as a shutter (smooth actuation, light tight) or best used for their intended purpose?
I don’t have a store close by to evaluate it in person.