PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Bradey Bunch
16-May-2014, 21:08
Hello there,

I've recently purchased a few lenses and a camera, on top of what I already had. What would you do with it if it was yours?

I started off with a 4x5 Crown Graphic (no rangefinder) and a 152/4.5 ektar.

Then added, in this order:

-Fuji 125mm f5.6 W in copal 0
-SA 90mm f8 in copal 0
-Symmar 210mm f5.6/370mm f12 convertible in synchro compur of unknown size (currently on the board from the ektar), linhof branded
-SA 65mm f8 in a tiny (00?) synchro compur, sinar branded
-Technika iv with 135mm f5.6/235mm f12 in linhof branded snychro compur 0? *and the matching cam*

Well, okay, I went a little overboard on the buying, but the last item wasn't really an intended addition to the list. I just couldn't pass it up... I want to make my gear a little more efficient and simple so I'm thinking of how to pair it down and downsize (or not!).

My options as I see them, factoring in the linhof's relative inability to use the 65mm without extra expense:
1: Use the crown as a light backpacking camera with the 65mm, and 125 fuji.
Sell the ektar.
Use the linhof with the 90mm, 135, and 210. This seems to be my best option so far

2: Put all except the fuji 125 and ektar on small boards and use adapter boards so I can use any lens on any camera (more or less). sell the fuji and ektar.

3: Sell the Crown with the ektar and fuji and use the linhof for everything including backpacking and wide angles, using some sort of focusing device for the 65.

Initially I wanted to remove the rangefinder from the linhof, however after consideration decided to leave it there despite the fact I will not use it. Thus, my decision to use the 135mm as my 'normal' lens, so as to keep the set of camera/cam/lens intact.

I ask this question because I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions, often others see things I am missing.

Thanks, and fire away,

Braden

Heroique
16-May-2014, 21:33
For now, I'd hit the field.

Experience behind you is the best way to evaluate needs in front of you.

I used to own the Fuji 125mm/5.6 (55mm thread version) and I didn't know how much I loved it as a general purpose landscape lens until I used it as a general purpose landscape lens. The only reason I sold it to another LF forum member was because its FL was a little too close to my 110mm/5.6. If I had to start from scratch, the 125mm might be my first lens, and I'd build my kit w/ additional lenses on each side of it. If your field experience with this lens proves similar, you might be deciding which of your other lenses to keep as ideal companions in a 125mm-centered kit.

(Writing about that jewel of a lens makes me miss it greatly!)

Roger Hesketh
16-May-2014, 22:46
I would keep them all. You can easily make an adapter to allow your lenses that are mounted on Graflex Pacemaker boards to fit your Technika.

Graflex made an adapter board to allow Pacemaker boards to be used on Graphics that took 4x4 Anniversary boards. Get yourself one of those. The Pacemaker board slips onto the front of the adapter and is secured by two catches. Drill four small holes near the corners of the adapter. Using the adapter board as a template drill through the Technika board. Attach the adapter to the Technika board with small machine screws and nuts. You can get ones that the that heads will go flush with the surface. Trim off the excess machine screw length with a small hacksaw. You can then use your lenses from your Crown Graphic on your Technika.

Good luck

Roger

TheToadMen
17-May-2014, 00:11
Keep everything for now, use all items in the next twelve months on a regular bases and then decide what to let go.

Andrew
17-May-2014, 03:37
keep everything / sell nothing

btw, you can use a 65mm mounted on a flat board with a Linhof Technika.... no special devices.

leave the front standard on the rails inside the camera body and drop the front as far as it goes, pull out the back a couple of cm to get rough focus, then fine focus by wiggling the standard along the rails. Sounds messy but it works. I have a bit of wood to get the back level with the body because I'm OCD. I've never used the 65/8 but my understanding is it might "just" cover 4x5 stopped down but no movements.

see here for where I stole the idea: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/007QkE

and here for my technika with 65/5.6 focussed to infinity:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100804458@N05/14017682569/sizes/o/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100804458@N05/14224490823/sizes/o/

John Kasaian
17-May-2014, 06:22
Don't sell anything until you've given them all a try.

jp
17-May-2014, 10:34
I'd suggest shooting/developing a hundred sheets of film over several outings. The idea of keeping them for a while then selling them is fine. They won't lose value if cared for.

Alan Gales
17-May-2014, 11:09
What would I do? The first thing I would do is get rid of the 65mm lens. Why, because I wouldn't use it. Is that a good answer for you? I don't know.

The above answers about going out and shooting are the best answers anyone can give you. If you find you are not using something then sell it. If you feel you need something else then buy that. I haven't been shooting large format as long as most of these people but in the time I have, I've found it to be a trial and error process.

goamules
17-May-2014, 12:19
I'd sell it all, and get an 8x10. But that's me.

Nathan Potter
17-May-2014, 15:31
Maybe see a therapist about compulsive gambling. ;)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

DennisD
17-May-2014, 16:02
Don't remove the Linhof rangefinder unless it's really in bad shape. Doing so will devalue the camera in the eyes of a future buyer. (Regardless of whether or not they will ever use the rangefinder.) I've never used mine but some people have ideas of using the the camera "hand held" - more power to them !

jbenedict
17-May-2014, 18:25
The 65 can be used on the Technika. "Extreme" movements that would need a bag bellows on a monorail won't happen on the Technika. You can do modest shift, rise and tilt (front or back tilt). I'd go ahead and hold tight on everything for now, maybe make the adapter lens boards as described above and expose some film.

Alan Gales
17-May-2014, 22:35
If you are going to keep just one camera, I would keep the Linhof. It's a lot more versatile. I own a Crown Graphic and it's a great camera but limited in movements and having to drop the bed for front tilt is just silly. I bought mine for outdoor portraiture so it's movement limitations do not bother me. I also own a Wehman 8x10 field camera with a 4x5 reduction back that has all the movements I need.

Like Dennis says, keep the rangefinder or you will hurt the value of the camera. I don't use the range finder on my Crown and always use a tripod. I can get sharper images hand holding my Hasselblad over hand holding the Crown Graphic.

Burn some film using both cameras and all your lenses. You will soon learn what works for you and what doesn't.

neil poulsen
18-May-2014, 02:13
I would sell the Crown Graphic with the 135mm or the 125mm and keep all the other lenses and the far superior Tech IV. Of these two lenses, I'd have to think about which to keep. The 135mm is going to have greater movement, but it's pretty close to the Ektar. If I kept the 125mm, I would eventually replace it with the 125mm SW.

Keeping the 125mm W, that would give you a reasonable lens spread of 65mm, 90mm, 125mm, 152mm, and 210mm. And in a pinch, maybe 370mm.