PDA

View Full Version : Carte de visite revisited?

Tin Can
15-May-2014, 12:50
I am wondering if anyone has made carte de visite in the old way and style, or even modern. Albumen seems appropriate. I may modify the printing method, but retain analog process.

Reenactors seem interested.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-344.html

Embossing the cardboard may be the more difficult part.

Any ideas?

Mark Woods
15-May-2014, 13:02
Search the web for corporate seals. The round ones are fairly inexpensive, I believe there are square ones too. This is only for letters. I'm sure you could find one that will put a design on the face.

Good luck.

Tin Can
29-May-2014, 17:32
Thanks Mark,

I bought a few off eBay to examine them in hand, digital pics told me little!

The nine I have are not embossed, but have a printed outline, almost a guide for where to paste the very thin albumen print onto cheap cardstock. Some of the cards and prints are scissor cut. That's obvious. The obverse is often just a rubber stamp of the photographers business. No dates or names of the sitters.

The prints are holding up fairly well, for maybe 150 years old. The card stock is deteriorating faster. They used good glue, neatly, with tight edges and no slop.

Just something for me to emulate.

Search the web for corporate seals. The round ones are fairly inexpensive, I believe there are square ones too. This is only for letters. I'm sure you could find one that will put a design on the face.

Good luck.

jnantz
29-May-2014, 18:24
hi randy

the trick about gluing ( wheat paste too ) is tension ... and weight ..
if you can find a nipping press cheap grab one
they will put even weight on the card glue and image ...
my embosser i got from a rubber stamp guy, i lost a few years though smoking
3 packs of second hand smoke when i ordered and picked it up .. i almost turned GREY.
you might consider getting / making a die to cut the image with, perfectly, every time.

Tin Can
29-May-2014, 18:55
I have been looking for a nipping press for a long time. I can fudge that. Lot's of good glue these days.

I wish I had my old job, we made custom rule dies 24/7 in any shape and size and all I have are round ones...

For authenticity I could guillotine cut card stock, or have a printer make a few 1000 with my logo and name on back.

Now I need one of those 16 images at once cameras. Or I wimp out and Costco print 20x30 with 200 to a print.

I think there is no market and they will be simple novelties once again. But I have been wrong before

hi randy

the trick about gluing ( wheat paste too ) is tension ... and weight ..
if you can find a nipping press cheap grab one
they will put even weight on the card glue and image ...
my embosser i got from a rubber stamp guy, i lost a few years though smoking
3 packs of second hand smoke when i ordered and picked it up .. i almost turned GREY.
you might consider getting / making a die to cut the image with, perfectly, every time.

jnantz
30-May-2014, 06:43
randy

if you can find an OLDE polaroid 500 portrait camera it will give you 6 shots /4x5 sheet
it takes regular sheet film holders and was intended for passport / mug shots.
it has meniscus lenses, a 1 speed shutter,and if you get lucky you might get the flash sync cable

2 sheet/1 holder will give you your 16 shots, and simple contact print :)

yeah, i found a nipping press for 50$ .. it came with a table ( i left the table at the junk store where i bought the press )

you are probably right, novelty stuff, but that might be fun