PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid back, films and Chamonix 045F1

Taipan
15-May-2014, 05:40
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the LF photography and first of all I want to apologize if I'm asking some stupid questions !
I bought a new Chamonix 045F1 and next month I'll start to take some pictures and experiment. Since I'm interested to the instant film I want to ask you which is the Polaroid back I need to mount on my camera and which is the instant film (I mean the code and the productors) specially for black and white pictures. As far as I understood instant film means that you just have to wait some time in order to develop the film in the place. I mean, you don't need to go tho the lab to do that, it's right ?
Then I want to know which are you favourite shops to buy the instant film in Europe.

Thanks and bests !

Gennaro

vinny
15-May-2014, 07:14
this is your only option for b+w and it's 3000 asa. the color stuff is 100 asa and much cheaper. neither are 4x5 in size.
you need a polaroid 405 holder. use the search info for more info on instant film.

Taipan
15-May-2014, 07:56
Thanks for the reply Vinny. Then you are suggesting that the only way to use my camera is with the Polaroid 405 holder and then search for some expired instant film ?
There are not cheaper solutions ?

vinny
15-May-2014, 08:18
how cheap do you want? the fresh color stuff is $1 per exposure. Nothing is cheap about large format.

Winger
15-May-2014, 08:20
Yes, the Polaroid 405 fits in the F1. The only B&W instant film still being made that will fit in this camera (AFAIK) is the Fuji 3000B, but get some fast because it's about to go away. Freestyle currently has some, but it may be the last shipment of it they'll ever get. It's 17.99 USD for 10 sheets. I have no idea about European suppliers, sorry. The color version 100C, is still being made.

It's a while off, but a kickstarter campaign just succeeded to try and get a replacement for Polaroid type 55 going again. It will take a Polaroid 545 or 545i holder, but it's likely at least a year out.

Regular 4x5 film holders and B&W film are really pretty easy once you've done it a few times. If you have a darkroom, you can also try this - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/51345-Arista-Ortho-Litho-Film-2.0-3.9x4.9-50-Sheets-For-4x5-Film-Holders as it can be developed in trays with paper developer. If you are going to shoot around home, you can shoot and develop pretty quickly.

Taipan
15-May-2014, 08:36
"how cheap do you want? the fresh color stuff is $1 per exposure. Nothing is cheap about large format."

Ok ok Vinny, I was just referring to the holder not to the instant film.

Thanks also to Winger for the comment.
Then the better solution is Polaroid 405 holder with the following film
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/fujifilm_instant_films/fp_100c/#product-views

for color pictures.
Can you please tell me if I understood correctly ?

Thanks !

vinny
15-May-2014, 08:44
the film:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=18595&gclid=CL3B4c2irr4CFZSMMgod9nkAFQ&Q=&is=USA&A=details
I have a 405 holder for sale if you're interested. it's beat up but works. email me and I'll send pics.