PDA

View Full Version : That's not what I expected! - what to do with an eBay purchase...

Mkillmer
14-May-2014, 15:34
I bought a very inexpensive Dallmeyer lens from "the Bay". Now that it's arrived, I'm not sure what I can do with it. It appears to be a replacement front cell for a lens. The lens is 5cm wide, with external dimensions of 6cm wide and 4 cm high. The glass is slightly convex at the front, and very concave at the back - all very nicely packaged in a Dallmeyer London leather case.
hmmm...
I've shot with all manner of bit's and pieces, but this lens is problematic - any ideas on what it is or would match up to?

Light Guru
14-May-2014, 16:13
Now that it's arrived, I'm not sure what I can do with it.

A question that should have been asked before buying it.

Steven Tribe
14-May-2014, 16:27
I suggest you read the Dallmeyer section in Lens VM. I seem to recall mention of an alternative lens which could be installed on one of the lenses in their many offerings! But I didn't look it up when it was listed. I doubt Dallmeyer would have packaged this so well if it was just a replacement front or rear cell.
No serial number?

Just done a search - I think it is the (-1) alternative lens for the Dallmeyer Adon. Adon is not a particularly popular tele lens.

Mkillmer
14-May-2014, 23:29
A question that should have been asked before buying it.

Hmmmm - Sometimes you gotta commit on ebay without all the facts if you want to pick up a deal.

But not all deals are deals!!!

genotypewriter
15-May-2014, 03:40
Hey pssst... I have some glass... want a deal? ;) There might be a super rare Superachromat Quartz Topogon used by AA in there...

(I'm kidding of course!)

Steven Tribe
15-May-2014, 08:16
There are quite a few Adon owners around (I am one of them!) so there would be a market for this alternative rear lens.

Roger Hesketh
16-May-2014, 15:23
AA did actually use an Adon to take one of his more famous pictures. Monolith the face of half dome in 1927.

https://archive.org/stream/convanseladams00adamrich/convanseladams00adamrich_djvu.txt

Mkillmer
16-May-2014, 23:58
There are quite a few Adon owners around (I am one of them!) so there would be a market for this alternative rear lens.

Yes, I think selling is the most likely option - PM me if interested, I'll list it in the classifieds.