PDA

View Full Version : Distance between lens cells in Copal 3 Shutter?

dustspots
14-May-2014, 03:29
I have the front and back cells of a f5.6 240mm Rodenstock Sironar-N lens but don't have a Copal 3 shutter at the moment... I'd really like to try out the lens in a barrel configuration until I come across a reasonably priced Copal 3 shutter... Would anyone here know what the exact distance between cells is in this lens? (Preferably in mm). Thank you in advance!

c.d.ewen
14-May-2014, 05:26
See S. K. Grimes' website (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters/standardcopals). "Overall thickness" is shown as 32mm.

Charley

dustspots
14-May-2014, 06:32
Thank you Charley... much appreciated! I will certainly check out S.K.Grimes' site as I'm not familiar with them at all. Thanks again!

P.S. I've just had a look at the site and their linked copal shutter cross section drawings are very useful! Thank you!

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2014, 07:20
Charley is right. Note that 'overall thickness' is the distance between the two lenses thread-seat platform, not the distance between the lens front and rear elements, which are closer.

I was shocked to see the price of a new shutter. You can buy two good lenses with shutter for that much. :(

Leigh
14-May-2014, 17:49
The face-to-face dimension on the Copal 3 is 28.6mm ±0.025mm, per the drawing in the Copal brochure.

The dim in question is uppermost in that partial diagram, sort of hidden.
It's also given in the printed specifications in that image.

- Leigh

c.d.ewen
14-May-2014, 21:22
Leigh:

What's the date on that sheet? That's the Copal 3S spec. Shutters conforming to the Copal 3S spec were originally marked, "Copal 3". A later version of the shutter, with the 32mm spacing, were also marked, "Copal 3", and those conforming to the earlier spec were then marked, "Copal 3S". Not the clearest way of doing things.

Charley

The face-to-face dimension on the Copal 3 is 28.6mm ±0.025mm, per the drawing in the Copal brochure.
- Leigh

dustspots
15-May-2014, 21:23
Thank you for your input Leigh and Charley! I will ensure there is a little extra tolerance in the front and rear barrel threads which will hold the lenses to allow for adjustment, and the insertion of a lens board. Thanks again for your help!

koh303
19-May-2014, 14:15

The dim in question is uppermost in that partial diagram, sort of hidden.
It's also given in the printed specifications in that image.

- Leigh

Leigh - can you get in touch with me? I am unable to reach you through PM.