PDA

View Full Version : What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Heroique
12-May-2014, 15:57
[Poll to follow in a moment.]

I've designed this poll because I’m curious about general attitudes around here, and though it asks about your anxieties (if you have any), I'd be pleased if the options triggered additional comments about why you're attracted to LF as well.

For example, one might be worried about the disappearance of a favorite film (#6), but the psychological fulfillment (#4) that comes with composing w/ another film in your portrait studio, or a favorite landscape, might greatly out-weigh your #1 misgiving – and be the primary attraction to our game.

As for me, I'll have to vote #4 due to an ankle stiffness that used to come and go in my younger years, but doesn't seem to be disappearing anymore :(. It's not bad enough to end my years as a deep-woods hiker – but that day may eventually arrive. So I feel very fortunate that my location offers a super-abundance of interesting landscapes just a few steps away from my local U.S. Nat'l Forest roads.

Please tell us, what is (or might become) your #1 personal concern about LF – and is there any attraction that compensates or makes up for it?

Kimberly Anderson
12-May-2014, 16:08
I have no anxiety about shooting LF. It's just part of my regular, everyday workflow. Film runs out? I'll find some. That runs out? I'll make some. Processing...well, I do all my own and mix my own chems from scratch anyway, so that's a non-issue. Printing, displaying, scanning, exhibiting...all non issues.

No, life isn't perfect in LF-ville, but I'm set on gear, it's part of my professional life, I'm relatively young (late 40's), have two Land Rovers (so the walking/hiking is a non-issue too), and my post count is under 1000. ;) My personal #1 concern is actually the ability to get around. I worry about becoming injured or just old and not being able to walk or drive.

I do have a recurring fear about not being able to get out and shoot, so right now my priority in life is to shoot as much as I can so that I have a body of work I can dip into as I get into that period of my life.

This should be an interesting thread.

Darin Boville
12-May-2014, 16:59
My only anxiety about LF, in terms of my own work, is that is that there is less and less that it is best at, either looking at individual characteristics or a useful combination of them.

It sort of reminds me of Leica. Used to the camera you'd go to if you wanted the quietest camera. Or a smaller but still high quality camera. Or a really rugged camera. no batteries needed. Now we're basically down to public aura and self-image. As a tool LF, like Leica, is a solution to a problem but less and less often the best solution.

There have been many occasions where I'm working on an idea that I think I'll use LF for--even begin shooting in LF--and I end up switching to digital since I can better reach my goals that way.

Where's the anxiety? Working with LF, with film, is cool and is increasingly cool and it becomes less and less common. It's enjoyable. I *like* physical things and don't particularly enjoy sitting at the computer. I hate to see it fade from my life.

--Darin

Preston
12-May-2014, 17:02
Since use color transparency film (and a smattering of color neg) the very limited offerings and fewer and fewer labs that do E-6 bugs me. I suppose that I will go to B&W film when the color materials are gone, but I'd have to farm out development, at least in the near term.

Like all of who are 60+, I think we are anxious about losing our independence and ability to get around as we get older. I'll continue to wander around until I can't do it any longer, but I don't relish the inevitability of it.

--P

ROL
12-May-2014, 17:08
1) Spotting negatives.

1a) That Heroique will post yet another survey/poll that I will feel obliged to respond to.

Kevin J. Kolosky
12-May-2014, 17:10
I said "other". My #1 anxiety is carrying the equipment. As one gets older it gets tougher and tougher to carry all of the gear needed.

StoneNYC
12-May-2014, 17:39
I'm less worried about the labs that process E-6 as I am about getting it in 4x5 and especially 8x10... The gear cost are there, but mostly it's the E-6 cost and the access to it, Velvia50 especially, that freaks me out.

Really in the USA it's only Velvia100 and Provia100f

That's it...

And finding in-date 8x10... And then paying for it... Eeek!

The B&W I'm not worried about at all...

John Kasaian
12-May-2014, 17:47
Mine? Making the effort to start doing exhibitions.

evan clarke
12-May-2014, 17:49
No Anxieties..

Heroique
12-May-2014, 17:51
Since I use color transparency film (and a smattering of color neg) the very limited offerings and fewer and fewer labs that do E-6 bugs me.

I was anxious when Washington state had only one remaining E-6 lab for LF film.

The sword of Damocles was suspended above it ... by a slender thread.

Well, the sword finally dropped – at least it cured me of that particular anxiety.

I said "other". My #1 anxiety is carrying the equipment. As one gets older it gets tougher and tougher to carry all of the gear needed.

I'm certain my Ries tripod is responsible for the bad ankle I mentioned.

But a carbon fiber tripod just wouldn't have given me so much joy.

The Ries stays until the ankle gives out. Guess I can tolerate pain from my loved ones! :)

ic-racer
12-May-2014, 17:56
The only anxiety I have about LF is fear of being harassed when taking pictures.

Kirk Gittings
12-May-2014, 17:59
"None of the above" I have no anxieties about shooting LF-been doing it since 78. Its like a well worn glove.

jp
12-May-2014, 19:14
Fascinating well thought out poll.

No anxieties here though. 3. Time could be a problem, but I've managed to integrate photography with family to an adequate extent. I cheat a little by not printing but a tiny tiny fraction of what I shoot/develop. No anxiety is associated with that though.

Alan Gales
12-May-2014, 19:29
I wouldn't call it an anxiety but everything depends upon my back. I have my good days and I have my bad days.

I do enjoy my good days! :)

Tin Can
12-May-2014, 19:33
No worries. I am late to the game. Started LF after 60. My entire studio, darkroom and loft is wheelchair accessible. I am out of the wheelchair and back on my feet, but for how long... just hope I can keep my ticker running long enough for one good image. Life is good.

Nathan Potter
12-May-2014, 19:43
No anxiety here either. I'll always have my large format cameras. If film becomes unavailable then I'll shoot without it - I've done enough now so I can visualize what the result would be anyway. The excitement is in finding the image, in seeing it and being enthralled about it. At this point my kicks are in the search, out in the fresh air, alone and contemplating the wonder to myself.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Brian C. Miller
12-May-2014, 21:00
THE LIGHT! THE LIGHT! IT'S MOVING!

And here I am trying to photograph this freakin' tree as the sun is going down. I'm using a Benbo Trekker because I have to get the camera down into an awkward position with a 75mm lens, and everything has to be moved all over the place! Monkey tripod, monkey camera, and on and on. Fortunately I brought Fujifilm instant with me, and I caught a billboard in the corner I hadn't noticed because I was so focused on everything else. Move and monkey everything some more!

The billboard is on the left, just out of the frame.

Other than that, what anxiety can there be?

StoneNYC
12-May-2014, 21:21
THE LIGHT! THE LIGHT! IT'S MOVING!

And here I am trying to photograph this freakin' tree as the sun is going down. I'm using a Benbo Trekker because I have to get the camera down into an awkward position with a 75mm lens, and everything has to be moved all over the place! Monkey tripod, monkey camera, and on and on. Fortunately I brought Fujifilm instant with me, and I caught a billboard in the corner I hadn't noticed because I was so focused on everything else. Move and monkey everything some more!

The billboard is on the left, just out of the frame.

Other than that, what anxiety can there be?

The anxiety when they stop making fp100c....

DannL
12-May-2014, 22:03
If it doesn't have power lines running through it, or plastic shopping bags scattered throughout it, the wind is probably blowing too hard to safely set up the camera. I need to find another planet to photograph. ;-)

Leszek Vogt
12-May-2014, 23:24
Any potential anxiety I left it with work, which was 5yrs ago. Now it's just life pings, when you make a choice to do this vs that, but 'anxiety' would be rather strong description of this consequence.

Les

alexn
13-May-2014, 04:15
Definitely a mixture for me... Its a matter of getting time away from the family and work, cost of film (when shooting Velvia 50) and cost of getting to locations I like to shoot... Because I work long hours and usually 6 days a week, the Mrs rarely wants me disappearing on sunday to shoot, and with 2 kids, a mortgage, a dog and 2 cars/registration, insurance etc etc on one wage... Sometimes even if I have the time, I might not have the money available in the budget to drive 3hrs to get to a really great location, or I might not have enough film to go and shoot, or might not want to shoot any more film until I get chems to develop what I have already shot...

Its a stupid problem to have, but it is a problem just the same... I did get sick of the costs a while back, sold my 4x5, 6x17, jobo, film, lenses, meter.. the lot.. bought a Nikon D800, shot it about 5 times... sold it, bought back into 4x5... No matter how much I sometimes struggle with the financial aspects of shooting 4x5. No other method of image making gives me a sense of connection to the final image like LF does.... 617 is close... but I suppose a bi-product of the amount of time you spend perfecting a composition, depth of field and exposure when shooting 4x5 is that you really have to love the image on the ground glass before you fire the shutter.. So when you finally make your exposure, get home, find the time to develop films etc, the resulting images are rarely a disappointment.

John Jarosz
13-May-2014, 05:19
Film is my #1 concern. While it's possible to do your own, wet plate is not really a practical solution. I'd really like to continue my 8x20 work but film availability is going to stop me eventually. All other aspects of Photography can be handled one way or another if you have film for capture.

#2 concern is that my ability to handle the 8x20 equipment will gradually disappear as I age.

So it's a race between film availability and manual dexterity. Yikes!

Heroique
13-May-2014, 05:34
I suppose a bi-product of the amount of time you spend perfecting a composition, depth of field and exposure when shooting 4x5 is that you really have to love the image on the ground glass before you fire the shutter…

Yes, the amount of time devoted to one's passion is a magic healer of any related anxieties. Or at least a way to soften them. "The excitement in finding the image, in seeing it and being enthralled about it," as Nathan says above, has great medicinal value – physically, mentally, emotionally.

My #2 concern is that my ability to handle the 8x20 equipment will gradually disappear as I age.

If I had ever tried 8x20, my ability might have disappeared by the creaky age of 30!

I admire your ongoing stamina.

DrTang
13-May-2014, 07:39
that my kid sells off my heliars for 10 bucks a pop after I croak

StoneNYC
13-May-2014, 07:47
that my kid sells off my heliars for 10 bucks a pop after I croak

Write up a price catalogue for them....

OR give an order in the will to give one lens to each of the top posters on APUG... ;)

Andrew O'Neill
13-May-2014, 07:56
Was going through my negative archive trying to organize them on the weekend and wondering what will happen to them after I'm gone? Should I burn them all like Brett Weston and save my kids the headache?

TXFZ1
13-May-2014, 10:23
My only anxiety is that one day I'll log onto the internet and learn that I do not know what is the defination of a telephoto lens.

David

Vaughn
13-May-2014, 10:35
#10 -- Other

Exposed but undeveloped film. Don't like that, got lots of it from as far back as February (a DV, and YNP trip), and two later trips to YNP. 8x10's and 11x14's. Too many.

But just got some anxiety medicine (pyro developers) in the mail so all will be well. No need for the straight jacket, honestly, I am feeling much better...

goamules
13-May-2014, 10:36
I do LF to remove anxieties. So that word is too strong, but I do hope reasonable priced film will continue to be available. If not, I'll just do 100% wetplate. No anxiety.

Kirk Gittings
13-May-2014, 10:58
But just got some anxiety medicine (pyro developers).............

yes lord he's got the cure!!!!!!

Andrew O'Neill
13-May-2014, 11:42
#10 -- Other

Exposed but undeveloped film.

And then there's anxiety about the film that has never seen the light of an enlarger... or UV exposure unit... or scanner...

Tin Can
13-May-2014, 11:48
No, let the kids or grandchildren decide what is garbage. I am very happy I caught my father destroying old family images and grabbed them right out of his hands. And now the grandkids also like them.

Old men are often fools and may have dementia long before they or relatives realize they really don't know what is going on.

I realize I am approaching the same condition. I think...

Was going through my negative archive trying to organize them on the weekend and wondering what will happen to them after I'm gone? Should I burn them all like Brett Weston and save my kids the headache?

StoneNYC
13-May-2014, 12:04
No, let the kids or grandchildren decide what is garbage. I am very happy I caught my father destroying old family images and grabbed them right out of his hands. And now the grandkids also like them.

Old men are often fools and may have dementia long before they or relatives realize they really don't know what is going on.

I realize I am approaching the same condition. I think...

Are you sure you're even posting on an Internet forum? Did you forget this is an all digital forum? :whistling:

Tin Can
13-May-2014, 12:10
eh?

Michael E
13-May-2014, 12:26
I had to check "other", because my problem is not that LF photography is taking time from other priorities, but that other priorities are taking time from my photography. I studied photography at an academy, devoted years to perfect the practical and theoretical aspects of my work. But there is life. I work as a commercial photographer, have a part time job at my old academy, have a child, restore a historic house (ca. 1750) with my own hands, fix my three old cars. My artistic/LF work is important to me, but how good can it be if I can only spare so little time? I keep playing the lottery (infrequently) to get rid of the burden of earning a living. It didn't work out yet. I'm afraid that my artistic work will end up unsubstancial and worthless because I didn't find the time to pursue it.

Vaughn
13-May-2014, 14:00
And then there's anxiety about the film that has never seen the light of an enlarger... or UV exposure unit... or scanner...

How about the anxiety that some of those negatives might get printed after one's death when they are 'discovered'. Some (most) negatives have not been printed for a reason!

Jim Galli
13-May-2014, 14:04
Anxious that you've got 3 1/2 pages of answers to touchie feelie questions.

Anxious that your real job is working for the gov't in the dept. that wants to know how overweight I am.

Anxious that people in my hobby need a life even worse than the foamers that stand and watch the trains go by.

I could think of more, but.........the whole exercise is making me.......

Jac@stafford.net
13-May-2014, 14:27
Health.

While I know it is more important how a person lives rather than how he dies, I am chicken: I would rather not keel over making an LF Image. Silly me, but having cardiac and tremor issues keeps me humble - oh, and add to that my lack of talent. :)

Heroique
13-May-2014, 14:51
How about the anxiety that some of those negatives might get printed after one's death when they are 'discovered'. Some (most) negatives have not been printed for a reason!

Very funny, I should have added an option for this sort of angst. :D

I have many negatives that might suffer this fate.

Many prints too – esp. straight prints or test prints that my well-meaning executors might mistake as final prints and display with the tag, "In loving memory of..."

StoneNYC
13-May-2014, 15:35

Duffy burned all of his...

NancyP
13-May-2014, 18:09
Gaaah - I am an utter newbie, and I need TIME to shoot and process. Lots of other obligations in the past few weeks. I am looking forward to a nice leisurely weekend soon. Once I have the time I need, I will develop other anxieties, possibly #6, 7, 8. ;)

Bernice Loui
13-May-2014, 18:39
+30..

Anxieties go away after lots and lots and lots of practice, getting it all wrong, figuring out what caused the problem (s) and working out a solution that works.

After using mostly the same view camera for 30+ years, it becomes an extension of yourself rather than a techno object. Similar applies to optics, processing and...

Don't allow anxieties be an obstacle, making errors, wasting film and related is fine.. It is all part of the learning process and mastery of this art, craft and skill.

It is more important to focus on developing creativity, vision and camera/technical skills to where they are not much of a limitation.

Bernice

"None of the above" I have no anxieties about shooting LF-been doing it since 78. Its like a well worn glove.

Brassai
13-May-2014, 19:42
Since I mostly only shoot b&w, I have little worry that film will disappear. At least, in my lifetime. I've stayed with 120, 4x5, 35mm (in that order.) There's just too many pretty Leicas and Deardorffs out there and people that love them. I suppose my biggest worry (won't call it anxiety) right now is the seemingly long time it takes to send off my sheets and get them back. I don't really know if I got the shot or not, and it will be a couple of weeks to get the negs back. To complicate it, I'm often using a lens I haven't done much with before. I'm in my late 50s and my health seems to be holding up very well. I'm not so concerned right now.

David R Munson
13-May-2014, 19:46
My problems in large format stem from access to facilities, essentially. I've been doing photography for about 18 years now, and have had/shot with a view camera for probably about 12 of those years. For the last five years, though, I've been moving around from country to country, and this complicates things. I got things up and running in Taiwan and got some good negatives then, but over the following couple of years became more frustrated with things. At 32, I'm getting really tired of compromising and fudging a way to develop sheet film in X new place. So, I sold my 4x5 before moving to Shanghai. Part of the problem was the format. 4x5 had started to feel like a compromise in itself. It was easy to work with, sure, but development was still a pain in my situation. And it wasn't what I really wanted to be shooting, anyway, which was (and is) 8x10. Scanning was also a problem.

I haven't given up on view cameras, though. Far from it. Next month I'll be picking up the 6x9cm Shen Hao locally for my studies of the built environment here, as well as landscapes. Gives me the working method I like along with the manageability of roll film. The portability also makes it ideal for certain projects I'll be undertaking. I can develop it easily here and am working on a scanning setup using a light box and my Canon digital with a macro lens. Before I leave Shanghai in a couple of years, I'll be buying the Chamonix 8x10 (also locally-made!). When I get to Japan, I'm setting up for long-term work. No more compromises in how I want to shoot, develop, scan, or print.

These aren't complaints, though. These complications are a result of a lifestyle I opted for and that I love. I'm not going to be a dick and whine about how my photography is made difficult because I keep moving to different amazing places. :) And like most things in life, these difficulties are temporary. I know what I want, know what I'm going to do, and the wheels are in motion.

StoneNYC
13-May-2014, 22:43
My problems in large format stem from access to facilities, essentially. I've been doing photography for about 18 years now, and have had/shot with a view camera for probably about 12 of those years. For the last five years, though, I've been moving around from country to country, and this complicates things. I got things up and running in Taiwan and got some good negatives then, but over the following couple of years became more frustrated with things. At 32, I'm getting really tired of compromising and fudging a way to develop sheet film in X new place. So, I sold my 4x5 before moving to Shanghai. Part of the problem was the format. 4x5 had started to feel like a compromise in itself. It was easy to work with, sure, but development was still a pain in my situation. And it wasn't what I really wanted to be shooting, anyway, which was (and is) 8x10. Scanning was also a problem.

I haven't given up on view cameras, though. Far from it. Next month I'll be picking up the 6x9cm Shen Hao locally for my studies of the built environment here, as well as landscapes. Gives me the working method I like along with the manageability of roll film. The portability also makes it ideal for certain projects I'll be undertaking. I can develop it easily here and am working on a scanning setup using a light box and my Canon digital with a macro lens. Before I leave Shanghai in a couple of years, I'll be buying the Chamonix 8x10 (also locally-made!). When I get to Japan, I'm setting up for long-term work. No more compromises in how I want to shoot, develop, scan, or print.

These aren't complaints, though. These complications are a result of a lifestyle I opted for and that I love. I'm not going to be a dick and whine about how my photography is made difficult because I keep moving to different amazing places. :) And like most things in life, these difficulties are temporary. I know what I want, know what I'm going to do, and the wheels are in motion.

Best of luck David, you're one of the most honorable men I've come across, and I hope your journey comes to a place where all of these things can come true very easily.

I'm also excited for you that you will be able to check out before purchase a Chamonix 810...

I'm really confused about the colors of the Wood tones, I know it's a silly thing because it doesn't ultimately matter, however when you're going to spend the money to purchase a brand-new view camera, you wanted to look nice and the way that you would appreciate it.

I've spoken to the folks there a few times about getting some kind of dark wood cherry type finish and they keep coming back saying that they are only doing a black stain currently, and also a teak stain, but the rich dark cherry mahogany color is just so much more classic, and elegant, and I can't see spending that kind of money on something in such a pale wood color, or black which seems to me to defeat the purpose of buying a wood camera when you could just buy a metal camera in black.

I know you could say that this is possibly off-topic, but actually this is one of my biggest concerns, if and when I have the money, ordering a brand-new camera and having it come to me months and months later in a color that is just ugly, simply because the manufacture seems to have a problem with giving you some really good detailed images of the kinds of color and wood grain that you would get with their cameras in definitively showing those on the site. And unfortunately, there are very few LF camera makers that are even in existence right now, so it's not as if you have much choice in the matter, but it sure as heck would be a lot nicer if you really could get better answers, or if you could have them send you some sample pieces in the mail of the different types of what they have available so you could make a well informed decision.

David R Munson
14-May-2014, 01:17
The cameras I've seen here have been the lighter tone wood, which I actually like/prefer, but I understand wanting to know exactly what you're getting when spending good money on something like that. And this won't be for another year at least, so options may have changed by then anyway.

And then there's always the option of another Deardorff WFS, which is what I had ten years ago and wish I had never sold. Would love to restore another!

StoneNYC
14-May-2014, 08:26
The cameras I've seen here have been the lighter tone wood, which I actually like/prefer, but I understand wanting to know exactly what you're getting when spending good money on something like that. And this won't be for another year at least, so options may have changed by then anyway.

And then there's always the option of another Deardorff WFS, which is what I had ten years ago and wish I had never sold. Would love to restore another!

Just don't use the "new" Deardorff, holy cow man, I really feel sorry for anyone who's had to deal with Cochran(or whatever his name is)... That would be a fear, sending my money off to a guy like that and then not hearing from them for years while they had my money...

David R Munson
14-May-2014, 08:51
Yeah, no chance of that. I bought a beater the first time and restored it, would love to do it again. A great project and wound up with a camera with a lot of personal significance.

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2014, 12:35
My consideration is not a nagging anxiety, but a very possible reality of another heart attack while working. For any person who has his affairs in order, it should not be of concern. We all die.

I am reminded of my military experience of 1964-1970 in which we understood that to move forward we should know that we are already dead. Embrace the ambivalence of living and simultaneously dying. That is how it is.

StoneNYC
14-May-2014, 12:48
My consideration is not a nagging anxiety, but a very possible reality of another heart attack while working. For any person who has his affairs in order, it should not be of concern. We all die.

I am reminded of my military experience of 1964-1970 in which we understood that to move forward we should know that we are already dead. Embrace the ambivalence of living and simultaneously dying. That is how it is.

That's dark...

Also, you had a heeat attack while shooting LF? Or carrying the LF gear? hope you have recovered, changed your diet and exercise routine and are on a good path that will keep you not dead for a long time.

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2014, 13:25
That's dark...

Also, you had a heeat attack while shooting LF? Or carrying the LF gear? hope you have recovered, changed your diet and exercise routine and are on a good path that will keep you not dead for a long time.

I had my first heart attack while on a casual daily walk. It was upsetting because I had been an athlete, living a healthy diet. Bummer. But being 68 years-old is something to consider.

Tin Can
14-May-2014, 13:33
I agree with Jac, and lifestyle changes seldom actually work for most people. Let's not kid ourselves, I'm 63 and am surprised every day I wake. I have had at least 2 heart attacks and live like a monk now.

I really hope my next heart attack is massive and quick, as many say it is not a bad way to die.

I'm as ready as can be.

I had my first heart attack while on a casual daily walk. It was upsetting because I had been an athlete, living a healthy diet. Bummer. But being 68 years-old is something to consider.

ScottPhotoCo
14-May-2014, 14:02
My biggest concern is not being able to shoot as often as I want and not finding MY way with large format. I am so anal about anything that I create that I can find a way to hate anything I shoot. This is true in creative endeavours outside of LF as well. I want to make images that truly move me and that I am proud of. I'll shoot as often as I can and hope that I can achieve my own satisfaction someday. Once I do that I'll have to find another photographic goal to obsess over. :)

StoneNYC
14-May-2014, 14:39

I agree with Jac, and lifestyle changes seldom actually work for most people. Let's not kid ourselves, I'm 63 and am surprised every day I wake. I have had at least 2 heart attacks and live like a monk now.

I really hope my next heart attack is massive and quick, as many say it is not a bad way to die.

I'm as ready as can be.

Geeze you two!! My great uncle is 78 years old and he runs marathons... Full ones... 60's should be your prime time to enjoy life and be healthy not be ready to die... Eep! I plan to live till about 118 so I can see 2101 and see how life has changed.

Good health to you both.

Tin Can
14-May-2014, 14:58
Stone,

I buried many, many friends before 21, for various reasons. Life can be short, brutal and end any moment. I never thought I would live this long.

I hope you live to 118.

Good luck to you.

Geeze you two!! My great uncle is 78 years old and he runs marathons... Full ones... 60's should be your prime time to enjoy life and be healthy not be ready to die... Eep! I plan to live till about 118 so I can see 2101 and see how life has changed.

Good health to you both.

StoneNYC
14-May-2014, 15:20
Stone,

I buried many, many friends before 21, for various reasons. Life can be short, brutal and end any moment. I never thought I would live this long.

I hope you live to 118.

Good luck to you.

Thanks,

Anxiety: reminded, I my youth, I grew up in Bridgeport, CT look up the crime rate in the 80's-90's!

Another fear is being robbed while shooting, head under the dark cloth and someone sneaks up on you.

Or like one other member (who I haven't seen posting in a little bit actually...) was tracked down by homeland security for shooting in a public place and doing so suspiciously...

Fear of being locked up for nothing but my art...

So, fear of criminals and fear of the police... Sheesh! This Is America....

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2014, 17:44
Anxiety: reminded, I my youth, I grew up in Bridgeport, CT

I lived in Bridgeport when it was considered a rural area.

tgtaylor
14-May-2014, 18:04
For me it's #7.

Sunday I went out and exposed two sheets of 8x10 and developed both that night along with another shot taken about a week earlier to be printed as salted paper and albumin prints. When I woke up Monday morning I placed all three in print file negative sheets and placed them on top of the enlarger table along with several other negative sheets filled with 35, 6x45, 6x7, and 4x5 negatives in both B&W and color. When I came home from work I picked up the 8x10's to closely examine them and also looked at the others and was taken back with how good a lot of them looked and that there were literally several hundred in number all of which were shot since March and not printed...not even begun to be printed!

What's the use of shooting a negative if you're not going to print it? On a good day it would take me all day to print the 3 8x10's alone. I work M-F and when I get home I have my usual afternoon workout and then sit down to supper and the news. After than I generally don't feel like hitting the darkroom and have been putting it off for "tomorrow" which hasn't come. Maybe the solution is to stop shooting altogether until I get caught up with printing. But I'm seriously considering spending the whole of the upcoming weekend shooting up to 20 8x10 negatives to print as salt/albumin prints. Seeing Carleton Watkins albumin prints currently display at Stanford University last Thursday night has created the urge to move on to the albumin process and I have two ideal subjects that I could get 20 images out of.

That would be another weekend lost to printing.

Health.

While I know it is more important how a person lives rather than how he dies, I am chicken: I would rather not keel over making an LF Image.

I can appreciate that Jac. I'm very close in age to you and when you get to be out age you start thinking about "the end" at times. Serving in the infantry in Vietnam, I remember our squad discussing the possibility of getting out alive one night over C-rations. Aftter serious thought and discussion, we came to the conclusion that it was impossible. But I never lost any sleep over it until I became "short." Same with life I guess. You don't think about it until you get "short."

My second semester Calculus instructor in college, Mr. Holmgren, told me that he would be retiring because he didn't want to check-out in the middle of a lecture.

Thomas

StoneNYC
14-May-2014, 21:42
I lived in Bridgeport when it was considered a rural area.

FARMLAND! As faaaaar as the eye could see!!

:)

There's no way you're that old, my GREAT grandfather worked in a car factory in Bridgeport...not an engineer but took and die maker, my Grandfather is in his 90's, his father was long since passed... So if it was industrial back then...

You're not over 100... Lol

Laura_Campbell
14-May-2014, 22:14
No LF anxieties here. I voted #10. The anxiety is each significant other tends to be jealous of my LF camera, resulting in their wanting to compete with it. They lose.

Heroique
14-May-2014, 22:47
No LF anxieties here. I voted #10. The anxiety is each significant other tends to be jealous of my LF camera, resulting in their wanting to compete with it. They lose.

Wow, that's merciless, but I think many here will understand you.

Your remark reminds me of William Faulkner's famous description of writers devoted to their craft – his description might apply to LF photographers:

The writer's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one. He has a dream. It anguishes him so much that he can't get rid of it. He has no peace until then. Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is worth any number of old ladies.

Option #3 must have made you chuckle!

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2014, 23:11
FARMLAND! As faaaaar as the eye could see!!

:)

There's no way you're that old, my GREAT grandfather worked in a car factory in Bridgeport...not an engineer but took and die maker, my Grandfather is in his 90's, his father was long since passed... So if it was industrial back then.

Maybe it was New Haven. I was very young. What can I say? We had acres of land, an apple orchard, a stream running through and no neighbors for half a mile. My cousin with whom I lived with was studying at Fairfield Prep. Next door to us was a trap and skeet club. Life was good.

StoneNYC
15-May-2014, 00:32
Maybe it was New Haven. I was very young. What can I say? We had acres of land, an apple orchard, a stream running through and no neighbors for half a mile. My cousin with whom I lived with was studying at Fairfield Prep. Next door to us was a trap and skeet club. Life was good.

Sounds like Stratford maybe?

Could be New Haven but Yale has been there for quite a while ;)

Well it's nice to know there's another CT type here :) even if you moved (lucky).

genotypewriter
15-May-2014, 03:25
I voted 6. I shoot reversals a.k.a. hardly any choices.

It's like a systematic killing... you make people eat lobster everyday they will still get sick of it.

jnantz
15-May-2014, 06:28
not really any anxiety about using LF, been doing it long enough it is second nature
i do have anxiety that i might buy more film so it will delay my deadline of using
everything i have up, so i can re-start making all my own emulsion and hand coating glass, paper and metal.
and if i want color, i can add it by hand ...

Jody_S
15-May-2014, 12:32
I wouldn't say I have any anxieties about LF, in fact LF is how I cope with anxiety from others sources. But still, I am severely limited in what I can do both by the financial aspect and by my failing health. I have no plans on stopping, though. X-ray film and HC-110 are cheap enough that I should be able to continue for decades.

neil poulsen
15-May-2014, 12:55
Definitely Film & Development for Color. Since I develop my own, I think that black and white will be available for as long as I will care.

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2014, 13:34
Wow, that's merciless, but I think many here will understand you.

Your remark reminds me of William Faulkner's famous description of writers devoted to their craft – his description might apply to LF photographers:

The writer's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one. He has a dream. It anguishes him so much that he can't get rid of it. He has no peace until then. Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is worth any number of old ladies.

Option #3 must have made you chuckle!

Hehe! In my mind, it's absurd that anyone would ask me to choose. To my credit, I do caution them. Don't make me choose cuz you'll lose! Why should I set aside what I love to do for a man? ;)

Tin Can
15-May-2014, 13:38
Also good for the gander.

Obsession is first step to genius or madness.

Hehe! In my mind, it's absurd that anyone would ask me to choose. To my credit, I do caution them. Don't make me choose cuz you'll lose! Why should I set aside what I love to do for a man? ;)

Vaughn
15-May-2014, 14:29

Ahhhhh...the old irreconcilable differences. My (ex)wife decided that living with an artist/photograher was not her cup of tea. To her credit she did put up with me for almost 25 years before she decided on divorce.

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2014, 18:13
Ahhhhh...the old irreconcilable differences. My (ex)wife decided that living with an artist/photograher was not her cup of tea. To her credit she did put up with me for almost 25 years before she decided on divorce.

The problem (based on what they've expressed) is I'm to love them more than photography (that ain't gonna happen). One would think equal would be good enough. Men can be so needy! Kidding. No, not really. ;)

Jody_S
15-May-2014, 18:32
The problem (based on what they've expressed) is I'm to love them more than photography (that ain't gonna happen). One would think equal would be good enough. Men can be so needy! Kidding. No, not really. ;)

No contest here. I will never put photography ahead of my marriage. And I'm not saying that just because my wife occasionally reads here.

Some day if I figure out what I want to be when I grow up, that might change.

Vaughn
15-May-2014, 19:16
The problem (based on what they've expressed) is I'm to love them more than photography...

Aye, that's the rub. I am a photographer, a particular type of artist. To love me is to also love the artist part of me. If ones loves just the part of me that is not an artist, then it is not true love...just wishful thinking.

And if I am asked to love someone else more than I am to love myself, then I would prefer to avoid that sort of masochism.

StoneNYC
15-May-2014, 19:21
Aye, that's the rub. I am a photographer, a particular type of artist. To love me is to also love the artist part of me. If ones loves just the part of me that is not an artist, then it is not true love...just wishful thinking.

Can I have permission to use this on my dating profile?

Vaughn
15-May-2014, 19:22
Sure...a good way to remain single!

StoneNYC
15-May-2014, 19:29
Sure...a good way to remain single!

I'll just use the first part.

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2014, 21:26

And if I am asked to love someone else more than I am to love myself, then I would prefer to avoid that sort of masochism.

Aye Captain! High-five!

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2014, 21:28
I'll just use the first part.

Ah, use it all. It's a good way to weed 'em out.

StoneNYC
15-May-2014, 22:22
Ah, use it all. It's a good way to weed 'em out.

Haha I will love them for my art too, as I would hope their body would become part of my body of work... So they would also be able to love themselves and I love myself through my work through them, a complete circle of love :) hah!

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2014, 23:21
Haha I will love them for my art too, as I would hope their body would become part of my body of work... So they would also be able to love themselves and I love myself through my work through them, a complete circle of love :) hah!

Oh sheet, that's hilarious. :)

jp
16-May-2014, 06:13
What's the use of shooting a negative if you're not going to print it? On a good day it would take me all day to print the 3 8x10's alone. I work M-F and when I get home I have my usual afternoon workout and then sit down to supper and the news. After than I generally don't feel like hitting the darkroom and have been putting it off for "tomorrow" which hasn't come.
Thomas

I've got the same deal with jammed packed day and many pages of negatives stacking up. My solution (partly) has been to cut out TV. Cut back to 1-2 days a week of news. The world will seem a happier place without the media fear mongering.

jp
16-May-2014, 06:21
you make people eat lobster everyday they will still get sick of it.

Probably meant as hyperbole, but it happened to me... My family lobsters and I worked on a lobster boat growing up. Sometimes lobster was cheaper ($1.50/lb) than meat at the grocery store, and there were many mouths to feed. So we took lobster home and ate lobster almost every night till the price went up and us kids were begging for burgers.

Andrew O'Neill
16-May-2014, 07:41
My solution (partly) has been to cut out TV.

That's huge but very difficult for me right now as the Habs advanced to the third round. Go Habs!!

Ari
16-May-2014, 08:29
That's huge but very difficult for me right now as the Habs advanced to the third round. Go Habs!!

Go Habs Go!
Although I've been hearing that Vancouver is not so much behind the Canadiens as they are against the Bruins.
Nothing wrong with that; enemy of my enemy, and all that.

Andrew O'Neill
16-May-2014, 09:10
Bruins beat Vancouver up and got away with it. This time, the refs were on to them. Habs exposed them for what they really are... poor sports and whiners.

Ari
16-May-2014, 09:15
So Vancouver figured out what Habs fans have known forever.
Not shaking hands honourably after the series was beyond reproach, shame on Lucic and those who defend him.
Ahem, sorry for the digression, back to the poll.

Scott Davis
16-May-2014, 09:45
getting back on topic... It's not so much anxieties as it is concerns. I'm going to keep shooting the film(s) that I like until they cease being available and then deal with the consequences when that happens, but it does concern me that certain films I like might be in danger of going away (Tri-X, Portra 160) for various reasons. The cost of those films being one of those reasons, which is my other concern. Will I have to quit shooting large format color neg entirely if it gets to the point of 5x7 Portra being $20/sheet? What about ULF? When 14x17 b/w film gets to $20 or $30 a sheet, will I quit?

tgtaylor
16-May-2014, 09:46
I've got the same deal with jammed packed day and many pages of negatives stacking up. My solution (partly) has been to cut out TV. Cut back to 1-2 days a week of news. The world will seem a happier place without the media fear mongering.

I think that it is a combination of the supper with wine that is the culprit here. A full meal slows you down. I once had a sales manager who wouldn't eat lunch – said it slows you down and you don’t feel like working. His solution was a Hershey bar with almonds for lunch. I use to laugh at that but he’s right. After a full meal you don’t feel like working! Maybe having a light supper, or perhaps a late supper after making a couple of prints would work. Unlike westerners, the Greeks have supper around midnight.

Thomas

StoneNYC
16-May-2014, 10:01
getting back on topic... It's not so much anxieties as it is concerns. I'm going to keep shooting the film(s) that I like until they cease being available and then deal with the consequences when that happens, but it does concern me that certain films I like might be in danger of going away (Tri-X, Portra 160) for various reasons. The cost of those films being one of those reasons, which is my other concern. Will I have to quit shooting large format color neg entirely if it gets to the point of 5x7 Portra being $20/sheet? What about ULF? When 14x17 b/w film gets to $20 or $30 a sheet, will I quit?

Another big concern I have is something you mentioned... Lots of people are excited about x-ray film right now, and for some reason they are extremely cheap, and that's an option when you don't want to spend money on the expensive stuff, but what happens when x-ray goes away. Sure there's ilford which will be a lot more expensive but less than kodak, but still, huge price difference... So I would say a big fear is x-ray films going away as a "lesser" option and/or creative choice option. Everyone touts x-ray as if it's some magical answer to getting into LF and ULF cheap, and it is, but it won't last..

DannL
16-May-2014, 16:33
I went to order a box of fifty sheets of 5x7 film last night. I noticed Tri-X 320 TPX at $154.99 a box. Add the shipping cost and that's $3.25 every time you squeeze the bulb. Really? Is that a reasonable value for an unprocessed 5x7 negative?

StoneNYC
16-May-2014, 16:56
I went to order a box of fifty sheets of 5x7 film last night. I noticed Tri-X 320 TPX at $154.99 a box. Add the shipping cost and that's $3.25 every time you squeeze the bulb. Really? Is that a reasonable value for an unprocessed 5x7 negative?

$55 less for HP5+..... Just saying... Gotta buy 2 boxes for 50 sheets but who cares!

Which brings up another fear, when Ilford has no more competition will their prices skyrocket!??

Tin Can
16-May-2014, 17:06
Stone, when you are 118 it will be $1000 a sheet for 50 year old film.

And never marry an artist like I did. Notice I said 'like' not 'any'.

Live now. Not tomorrow. If the morning comes deal with it then.

$55 less for HP5+..... Just saying... Gotta buy 2 boxes for 50 sheets but who cares!

Which brings up another fear, when Ilford has no more competition will their prices skyrocket!??

StoneNYC
16-May-2014, 18:34
Stone, when you are 118 it will be $1000 a sheet for 50 year old film.

And never marry an artist like I did. Notice I said 'like' not 'any'.

Live now. Not tomorrow. If the morning comes deal with it then.

When I'm 118 it will be "credits" on my "multi-pass" haha

BetterSense
16-May-2014, 19:52
Dust on the film.

John Olsen
16-May-2014, 20:11
No anxiety here either. I'll always have my large format cameras. If film becomes unavailable then I'll shoot without it - I've done enough now so I can visualize what the result would be anyway. The excitement is in finding the image, in seeing it and being enthralled about it. At this point my kicks are in the search, out in the fresh air, alone and contemplating the wonder to myself.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

A true Zen approach to photography. I remember that our (former) moderator Kirk G once said he went through a long period of not doing photography, then realized that he was shooting just with his eyes. Being a weaker person myself, I hope we don't get to the point of only visualizing a film output. I still like sloshing around in the chemicals.

Brian C. Miller
16-May-2014, 20:22

BEN: You lucky bastard.
BRIAN: Who's that?
BEN: You lucky, lucky bastard.
BRIAN: What?
BEN: Proper little retailer's pet, aren't we?
BRIAN: What do you mean?
BEN: You must have slipped him a few shekels, eh?
BRIAN: Slipped him a few shekels? You saw him raise the price 50% in my face!
BEN: Ohh! What wouldn't I give for a little price rise like that in the face! I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of a mere 50% increase in my face.
BRIAN: Well, it's not exactly friendly, is it? They have me shooting 5x7!
BEN: 5x7! Ooh oooh oh oh. My idea of heaven is to be allowed to be shooting a wee little 5x7... just for a few hours. They must think the sun shines out o' your arse, sonny.

:D

StoneNYC
16-May-2014, 22:47
BEN: Ohh! What wouldn't I give for a little price rise like that in the face! I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of a mere 50% increase in my face.
BEN: 5x7! Ooh oooh oh oh. My idea of heaven is to be allowed to be shooting a wee little 5x7... just for a few hours. They must think the sun shines out o' your arse, sonny.

???

DannL
16-May-2014, 23:02

No disrespect intended, but my English isn't "that good". For a moment I thought was reading part of a play written by Shakespeare. But, then I realized, I understand Shakespeare. So, what does it mean? :-)

Cheers!

I didn't order the $154.99 box of film. It was just an observation.

StoneNYC
16-May-2014, 23:06
No disrespect intended, but my English isn't "that good". For a moment I thought was reading part of a play written by Shakespeare. But, then I realized I understand Shakespeare. So, what does it mean? :-)

Cheers!

+1

Drew Bedo
17-May-2014, 05:02
I just brought 19 sheets of T-Max 4x5 to the only local lab that wil still process LF film.

The cost ot pick up the negs will be $65!

When I first got into LF I could get unopened boxes of barely out of date film for peanuts at the old Houston Camera Show. I was able to get the B&W developed in an X-Ray darkroom . . .for maybe lunch for the X-Ray Tech (a friend).

Today everyone pays retail for everything. I would shoot X-ray film again if I knew of a clinic with a darkroom. Every clinic is digital now.

Drew Bedo
17-May-2014, 05:08
I just brought 19 sheets of T-Max 4x5 to the only local lab that wil still process LF film.

When I first got into LF I could get unopened boxes of barely out of date film for peanuts at the old Houston Camera Show. I was able to get the B&W developed in an X-Ray darkroom . . .for maybe lunch for the X-Ray Tech (a friend).

Today everyone pays retail for everything. I would shoot X-ray film again if I knew of a clinic with a darkroom. Every clinic is digital now.

Andrew O'Neill
17-May-2014, 06:59
No disrespect intended, but my English isn't "that good". For a moment I thought was reading part of a play written by Shakespeare. But, then I realized, I understand Shakespeare. So, what does it mean? :-)

Cheers!

Monty Python's Life of Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTj4naIdAs

DannL
17-May-2014, 07:51
Monty Python's Life of Brian.

That's changes everything. Taken out of context, I couldn't figure it out. I would have seen this film when it was first released. But haven't seen it since. It does have that Shakespearean flavor.

StoneNYC
17-May-2014, 08:46

Drew that's crazy! Why not at least develop at home... A large format film setup would cost you about double that price, but would totally pay for itself after 2 runs.

Daniel Stone
17-May-2014, 09:42
That Kodak will stop making film affordable enough for the masses to shoot.

I don't shoot film because of the resolution it can provide, I shoot it because it allows me hi-resolution on a (relatively) low "per-shot" cost basis. Even when shooting 5x7 and color film, it'd take me a LOT of sheet of film(even at today's market pricing, with market pricing commercial processing for said film) to equal the cost of even a *used* 50-80mp digital back and accompanying system.

Don't get me wrong, I love digital as well. It's a 50/50 for me. Digital can give me that creative "edge" and for certain applications it's what I'd prefer to shoot. However, for myself and my personal photography, I still like the way that film renders the subject matter I choose to photograph.

Although I am fortunate enough to have a chest freezer totally full of MF and LF film, and it can provide many years of shooting based on my current consumption rate, I still feel obligated to purchase a box of Provia 8x10 or Portra/Ektar 8x10 from time to time(at current market prices!). This I feel is enough of a "band aid" to show dealers that I purchase through(B&H, Adorama, Badger Graphic) that despite the consumption rate of sheet film being lower than it was a decade ago, there are still people out there that want those products.

I'm NOT anxious, but I am prepared to face the music: FILM is still going away, despite our best intentions to prolong its use.

-Dan

Brian C. Miller
17-May-2014, 10:35

Cheers!

That's changes everything. Taken out of context, I couldn't figure it out. I would have seen this film when it was first released. But haven't seen it since. It does have that Shakespearean flavor.

And you didn't even bother with a web search! HAHAHAHA! Monty Python now equates to Shakespeare! "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read," wrote Mark Twain. And so the man who does not search has no advantage over the man who can't search. You are sentenced to rent a bunch of Monty Python films and watch them! Prepare to laugh your arse off! You know you need to have your horizons broadened. And after those, it's the Three Stooges. They used view cameras in some of those skits, too.

DannL
17-May-2014, 10:49
And you didn't even bother with a web search! HAHAHAHA!
I swear. I didn't find any Monty Python sketches that referred to 5x7 cameras. But, you did. Next thing you'll be telling me is that you're here for an argument. ;-)

Vaughn
17-May-2014, 11:15
Dust on the film.

All we are is dust on the film...

StoneNYC
17-May-2014, 11:58
All we are is dust on the film...

[emoji445]violins play[emoji445]

David_Senesac
18-May-2014, 12:36
Cost for Provia 100F 4x5 sheet film just keeps rising. B&H is now only selling the Professional boxes of 20 sheets at $72.50 each. or $3.625 a sheet. (Recently snagged 2 slightly dated boxes on eBay for $80.)Then my mail order E-6 development to Colorado is $2.50 a sheet. And that cost used to be $2 a sheet just a few years ago. So a base film cost now of $6.12 a sheet. Although it was always expensive enough that I rarely ever bracketed and chose subjects carefully, the last couple years have been cutting back on exposing film. This year of 2014 have exposed 31 sheets that have kept and probably tossed a half dozen more. Another major expense is drum scanning for anything I might seriously print that has remained for years at about $80 for a 400mb scan. For both film and scanning the other issue is availability.

So where does one go? I shoot color landscapes. I've owned 6 digital cameras since the first 1 megapixels designs rose and all they have been used for is information snapshots or closeup and macro. But none were DSLRs. My 14.7 mp G10 is the only one capable of printing reasonably to at least 12x15 inches. So recently seeing the dim future with 4x5 bought into a Sony A6000 system that has been a bit below $2k investment to this point. Thus far have been impressed by the results though will need to gain stiching and blending skills to be able to match print sizes from my view camera and even then there are many landscape subjects that only movements or single moment captures do justice with.

Brian C. Miller
18-May-2014, 14:21
I swear. I didn't find any Monty Python sketches that referred to 5x7 cameras. But, you did. Next thing you'll be telling me is that you're here for an argument. ;-)

Actually, I'm expecting the Spanish Inquisition. They're late.

Cost for Provia 100F 4x5 sheet film just keeps rising. ... So where does one go?

Pentax 645z = $8,500, + 55mm ($1,200) + 75mm ($700) = appx $10,500, call it $11,000 with accessories like memory cards and whatnot.

Call it $4.00 per sheet for color 4x5, $2.50 per sheet for development, not including postage = $6.50 per sheet. $11,000 / $6.50 = 1,692.

The reason I pick the Pentax 645 digital system is because that's the minimum that I would go with if I were to forgo film. That's my standard, and I'm sticking with it. The "full frame" DSLR cameras are far too big, while the Pentax is just right. I'm not including post processing steps because both of them require it, and the labor is dependent on what image it is. This is about the acquisition of the image, and that's all.

This past weekend I exposed 24 sheets of color. Now, if I did that for a year then 52 * 24 = 1,248. But I don't get out that much. I wish that I did. But if I did, then I'd buy a 645z in a trice, and it would have earned its keep in a bit over 16 months.

Now, what of quality? I get a decent-enough-for-me-and-my-Epson-2200 126Mp scan with my Epson 750 from a 6x4.5cm piece of film. But that's 2x what I'd get from the 645z. And Lenny scans at 4000dpi, for 320Mp. Now, if I want to get large with a print, like Gursky, then that's a bit of a difference between the two. 50Mp won't cut it. And I have printed 4x5 Techpan on 16x20, and that's just really it for me. I know the quality of the medium that I want.

csxcnj
18-May-2014, 15:37
I chose "film & development". I have one good lab available to me in my area but they are expensive. Only because I can't develop my own film at this point. I know, all you need is a bathroom to develop in but you ain't seen the ones in my townhouse.

Anyway that's my number one anxiety for now. I'm selling the townhouse and buying a house house in three years and darkroom space will be included in a new house. Then my only anxiety with LF will be not blowing the shot.

StoneNYC
18-May-2014, 15:51
I chose "film & development". I have one good lab available to me in my area but they are expensive. Only because I can't develop my own film at this point. I know, all you need is a bathroom to develop in but you ain't seen the ones in my townhouse.

Anyway that's my number one anxiety for now. I'm selling the townhouse and buying a house house in three years and darkroom space will be included in a new house. Then my only anxiety with LF will be not blowing the shot.

Well, to develop film you only need a sink, to print you need more extensive stuff.

I made a simple checklist of stuff you need to develop at home for B&W and color, if interested PM me and I'll link you the list, it's around $100 to get you started.

Wayne
18-May-2014, 16:12
Cost for shooting/printing color

csxcnj
18-May-2014, 16:22
Thanks Stone. Should have explained more on the space problem. Its more than that. My wife works and studies at home. She is working on a degree on line. I do the food shopping, cooking and clean up and everything else to do with the house except laundry. No burden as I love cooking as much as I love photography. I'm also self employed and there just isn't the time or space to add developing at home right now. I know all I need is a sink...plus room to keep the equipment etc. and time to do it when it won't interfere with Liz's work and study and do everything else I have on my plate.

When I say this place is small I mean SMALL. two bedrooms, two and a half baths with full basement but at its widest only 11' wide, not counting the stairs. I have a woodworking shop in the basement. A kitchen full of "tools" for cooking and we have to rent a storage shed for the books we don't have room for plus the supply of hardwood I use. So when I say I have no room I'm not kidding.

The only good thing about my townhouse is its location. At only 1005 sq ft of usable space the going market rate for one of them is $420,00.00. And with the the improvements the county is making to my neighborhood the projected worth is $500,00 in about three years.

At that point we'll get a house, I'll cut back on my work load (liz's degree will increase her earning power to allow that)and start learning how to develop and print in the new roomy house. Till then I just don't even think about it.

StoneNYC
18-May-2014, 20:25
Gotcha! Another anxiety! Not enough space for GAS! :)

mihag
19-May-2014, 04:02
Mine is loading the holders...most annoying.

csxcnj
19-May-2014, 04:17
Gotcha! Another anxiety! Not enough space for GAS! :)

I was kinda trying to forget that one.

Regular Rod
19-May-2014, 04:20
The most worrying thing about anything larger than 4x5 is the problem with Newton Rings...

RR

StoneNYC
19-May-2014, 04:25
The most worrying thing about anything larger than 4x5 is the problem with Newton Rings...

RR

Not sure I see the connection here. That's what ANR glass is for? Or not using glass.

mihag
19-May-2014, 04:49
The rings appear because of incomplete contact which is difficult to achieve with ULF.

Heroique
19-May-2014, 12:26
As the number of respondents approaches 100, looks like the chief anxiety is "film & development" (option #6) – not a big surprise.

More specifically, 27% feel some anxiety about that.

It's somewhat surprising to me that the figure isn't higher – say 50% or 75%.

StoneNYC
19-May-2014, 12:40
As the number of respondents approaches 100, looks like the chief anxiety is "film & development" (option #6) – not a big surprise.

More specifically, 27% feel some anxiety about that.

It's somewhat surprising to me that the figure isn't higher – say 50% or 75%.

I kind of feel like these two should be separate, it's a lot easier to develop film at home then people make it out to be once you have the skill and equipment, and much cheaper too!

But much harder if you can't get or can't afford the film in the first place.

Vaughn
19-May-2014, 12:41
It would be interesting to have the catagories of the poll connected to the length of time one has been active in photography -- the anxiety of film & development" (option #6) might show a decrease with the longer one has been developing film.

Pulling 8x10 sheets out of the Jobo 3005 drum is like Christmas! More excitement than anxiety after 35 years of LF film developing!

Heroique
19-May-2014, 12:46
Pulling 8x10 sheets out of the Jobo 3005 drum is like Christmas!

It might be due to your classic LF beard, but I can see you pulling those 8x10 sheets out of the drum and shouting, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" with great merriment. ;^)

StoneNYC
19-May-2014, 13:49
It might be due to your classic LF beard, but I can see you pulling those 8x10 sheets out of the drum and shouting, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" with great merriment. ;^)

Hahahaha!!!! Awesome!

Vaughn
19-May-2014, 19:03
Yes indeedy!

Laura_Campbell
19-May-2014, 19:27
Mine is loading the holders...most annoying.

Oh no! Why's that?

StoneNYC
19-May-2014, 19:34
Oh no! Why's that?

Probably shoots 20x24.... Haha

Kirk Gittings
19-May-2014, 21:36
A true Zen approach to photography. I remember that our (former) moderator Kirk G once said he went through a long period of not doing photography, then realized that he was shooting just with his eyes. Being a weaker person myself, I hope we don't get to the point of only visualizing a film output. I still like sloshing around in the chemicals.

Interesting that you brought that up. Its true, but I haven't thought about that period for a long time. I had kind of a creative breakdown and sold all my equipment and became a union organizer. After awhile though I noticed that I had never stopped mentally taking pictures, but for me the mental exercise was not enough. I had to start making images again. That was around the late 70's.

photojeff3200
26-Jun-2014, 19:41
I have two anxieties about shooting. The first is time away from my family (and dogs). I guess it's guilt more than anything else. My studio/darkroom is on the other side of town and when I finish work at the end of the day I want to go to my studio and work (and have a cold beer from the fridge!) But I feel that I need to be home cooking, chores, etc. If I do go to my darkroom after work I'm rushing through whatever I have to do and end up having no pleasure in it. My family is very supportive of my "habit" but I still feel guilty. The second anxiety is that I'm really wasting my time. I've been shooting for 20+ years and still have not LOVED any picture I've ever taken. Yet I keep coming back over and over again. I shoot wet plate and make negatives for salt prints yet this is not enough, this year I'm taking a photogravure class. I hope one day that I'll have the ability to represent the image on paper that I have in my head. Nada...so far.
Jeff

Jeff

Tin Can
26-Jun-2014, 20:15
Just saw this because of the newest post.

I deliberately did not carry a camera from about 1968 to 1980. Several reasons, at least one was political as I dared not shoot my friends or locations. This was also a time of mostly motorcycle travel and even a 35mm is a burden on a bike trip.

I told myself to take pictures with my mind and any interesting image was available at the tourist trap store.

I really regret those years, for not getting my own permanent record. I later did pick up my Pentax H3 and resume shooting when I was a 'mature' 30...

And in reply to the latest poster, I only hope for one keeper image in my life, and I have not shot that yet, perhaps with my last breath.

Interesting that you brought that up. Its true, but I haven't thought about that period for a long time. I had kind of a creative breakdown and sold all my equipment and became a union organizer. After awhile though I noticed that I had never stopped mentally taking pictures, but for me the mental exercise was not enough. I had to start making images again. That was around the late 70's.

DG 3313
26-Jun-2014, 20:55
The occasional dust.......

StoneNYC
27-Jun-2014, 22:04
ULF photographers seeing me and judging me shooting tiny 4x5 ;)

Tin Can
27-Jun-2014, 22:57
4X5 is most likely the smart choice, however I love 5X7 format proportions, so much better for landscape and portrait. 8X10 is just big 4X5. imho

ULF photographers seeing me and judging me shooting tiny 4x5 ;)

StoneNYC
28-Jun-2014, 09:08
4X5 is most likely the smart choice, however I love 5X7 format proportions, so much better for landscape and portrait. 8X10 is just big 4X5. imho

I like 8x10 (or think I will) much better and as a benefit can shoot 4x10 :)

Yes I can shoot 4x5 and 6x12 but it's not the same :)

Bob Sawin
28-Jun-2014, 13:47
As I am not getting either richer or younger I think #2 & #4 fit best for me.

Leszek Vogt
28-Jun-2014, 16:29
I'm starting to get some anx... by reading all of the ones in this thread. :p

Les

Patrick13
4-Jul-2014, 15:56
You left out "social anxiety at being the oddball" :confused:

I'll go back and vote but my real answer has to be the time involved for a shoot; where to go, gear and film readied, travel, waiting for the light, processing when you get back, etc... LF is a very needy mistress compared to her younger 35mm sister.

StoneNYC
4-Jul-2014, 20:25
Deciding between an Chamonix 8x10 of 9.5lbs at $3,400, a Richard Ritter 8x10 of 6.5lbs at $2,900 and a Wheiner 8x10 of 7lbs at $2,200....

Without being able to compare them in person for stability and features... So nerve wracking!

vinny
5-Jul-2014, 04:44
Deciding between an Chamonix 8x10 of 9.5lbs at $3,400, a Richard Ritter 8x10 of 6.5lbs at $2,900 and a Wheiner 8x10 of 7lbs at $2,200....

Without being able to compare them in person for stability and features... So nerve wracking!
With a loss of weight, you lose stability and often features. I was in a similar situation not long ago and after handling a chamonix 8x10, using my own chamonix 4x5, and owning a Wehman, talking to someone who owned both a Ritter and a Chamonix, I decided on the Chamonix. No dvd on how to use it needed. Then I built a Chamonix/phillips clone instead. It's only 9lbs and sturdier than the wehman. The only wiener I've ever used was my own:)

StoneNYC
5-Jul-2014, 05:07
With a loss of weight, you lose stability and often features. I was in a similar situation not long ago and after handling a chamonix 8x10, using my own chamonix 4x5, and owning a Wehman, talking to someone who owned both a Ritter and a Chamonix, I decided on the Chamonix. No dvd on how to use it needed. Then I built a Chamonix/phillips clone instead. It's only 9lbs and sturdier than the wehman. The only wiener I've ever used was my own:)

Whoops!!! Yes Wehman... Haha

But 6lbs just looks so nice when I add up all my backpack weight... *sigh*

But you're right... Thanks for the advice.

The one kicker is, if I'm going to spend such high amounts of money I also wanted the damn thing to look the way I want it, in terms of color staining, and I want a darker richer color then is available and that's what made me start searching other places in the first place, it's really aggravating that they don't offer at least two different staining options for their cameras so you can choose between them, I would really like to have it walnut stained Chamonix... Alas, the newer versions are only available in Teak... Yuck... I know that it doesn't matter what color the camera is so long as it takes beautiful photographs, but like I said if I'm going to spend such high amounts of money the least you think that they would do was stain it the color you want and not charge you a heckuva lot more or refuse to stain it a different color at all ...

ANYWAY, let's add the fear of not liking the color...

TXFZ1
5-Jul-2014, 05:49
Whoops!!! Yes Wehman... Haha

But 6lbs just looks so nice when I add up all my backpack weight... *sigh*

But you're right... Thanks for the advice.

The one kicker is, if I'm going to spend such high amounts of money I also wanted the damn thing to look the way I want it, in terms of color staining, and I want a darker richer color then is available and that's what made me start searching other places in the first place, it's really aggravating that they don't offer at least two different staining options for their cameras so you can choose between them, I would really like to have it walnut stained Chamonix... Alas, the newer versions are only available in Teak... Yuck... I know that it doesn't matter what color the camera is so long as it takes beautiful photographs, but like I said if I'm going to spend such high amounts of money the least you think that they would do was stain it the color you want and not charge you a heckuva lot more or refuse to stain it a different color at all ...

ANYWAY, let's add the fear of not liking the color...

Get the Shen Hao FCL, it's the color you want, the same features as the Chamonix, and weights the same 4.3 vs 4.4 kg. Don't forget the KB Canham, walnut, light weight, more bellows draw, etc. Geeze, it's not like you are committing to a lifelong relationship, it's a camera for christ sakes. And before the self appointed experts ask, I have the Chamonix in 4x5 and Shen Hao in 8x10.

David

jnantz
5-Jul-2014, 05:54

could /t agree with you more id rather use a rectangle than a squarelike box.
and 5x7 / 7x11 seem to have that magical golden mean proportion where
everything looks nice in these ( and other similar rectangular ) format ...

Leszek Vogt
5-Jul-2014, 10:43
Stone, you seem to be creating your own anx. If I were you, I'd contact Richard and see if he would create the camera from wood that you supply. Cocobolo wood is quite vibrant, but your 8x10 would weight around 20 lbs (if not more). You might want to look at suppliers of wood and find something that would fit your color and density. However, getting wood planks that are appropriately dried could be an issue. Often a woodworker/cabinet maker might have what you need....or you may have to dry it in a kiln. Anyway, getting something custom made takes little bit of leg work (and beats anxiety)....and you'd not need to stain anything - clear lacquer (satin or otherwise) would cover the wood v nicely.

Les

Michael E
7-Jul-2014, 11:19
You left out "social anxiety at being the oddball"

I think we all have moved past that point.

DrTang
7-Jul-2014, 12:58
anxiety?

I guess never getting that studio to really explore all the different lenses I've collected, or different lighting schemes..or different concepts I have all written down somewhere..or finding one too late when I'm just to beat up to move around much or to ragged that I scare off all the models

I'm just too stubborn to change my plans..shoot outside maybe, shoot 4x5 instead of 8x10 (necessitating a bigger studio area), etc...

good chance my kid will be selling off a lot of barely used camera stuff one day

oh well..

Ben Calwell
7-Jul-2014, 16:50
One of my anxieties about LF, and I know it's silly, is that I hate drawing attention to myself. I tend to seek out places where no one, or as few people as possible, will see me with my LF gear. Most LF photographers apparently don't mind the attention, but I'd rather blend into the background. That's hard to do, though, with big tripod, big camera and standing there with a dark cloth over your head.

Peter Gomena
7-Jul-2014, 23:47
Sheesh. I once felt that way, but I don't care any more. Life is too short. I get lots of looks from passers-by, occasional comments from other photographers, but I'm not afraid to set my camera up in public.

I just don't use my view cameras enough. It's getting harder the older I get. I love my antique whole plate camera, but it's a beast to haul around in the field on a big tripod. I've become very selective about locations where I'll use it.

jp
9-Jul-2014, 15:01
One of my anxieties about LF, and I know it's silly, is that I hate drawing attention to myself. I tend to seek out places where no one, or as few people as possible, will see me with my LF gear. Most LF photographers apparently don't mind the attention, but I'd rather blend into the background. That's hard to do, though, with big tripod, big camera and standing there with a dark cloth over your head.

There's good attention and bad attention. Vomiting drunk in public or a harley backfiring is bad attention. Shooting LF in public is good attention as is a classy sports car, or shooting with a rolleiflex. Chicks dig it (especially those over 70) You'll look strong carrying that big tripod. You're the guy that appreciates capturing beauty and works for it.

Not saying they need to correlate, but many photographers strangely want the results with their name on it widely appreciated and accepted, but are afraid of being seen in the process of making the images. I know it's the results that matter, but the two aspects should not contradict each other.

I'm not naturally outgoing, but having been an entrepreneur working with the public and paying to be on TV ads, and dealing with lots of people, being in public with an odd camera doesn't even register as attention getting nor is blending in practical or important anymore.

Brian C. Miller
9-Jul-2014, 15:28
I starting to get some angst about the newspeak usage of "anx."

Actually, another angst about LF is forgetting my darkcloth at home. That stinks! Also, forgetting sun block lotion. And packing more water! It gets hot out in the desert.

Leszek Vogt
9-Jul-2014, 16:23
[QUOTE=Brian C. Miller;1151856]I starting to get some angst about the newspeak usage of "anx."

I'm starting to get some 'anx' when I see word police make their own blunders :>). Brian, no offense, just add *iety*...you're welcome to borrow it from the subject line above. Oh, and I'll do the same with *'m*.

Les

John Kasaian
4-Nov-2020, 17:27
Right now, it's not having my own vehicle.

John Layton
5-Nov-2020, 06:30
That...just having turned 66...as my visual/artistic/creative capacities continue to evolve, my own physical capacities (those required to keep up with the aforementioned creative evolution) are now diminishing noticably, regardless of whatever I might attempt to counter the inevitable.

Tin Can
5-Nov-2020, 07:24
Eyesight failure, glaucoma

and just now I started considering another cross country permanent relocation

as I can still drive for a while

sell everything except a few LF cameras and wander into the sunset

or not...

jmdavis
5-Nov-2020, 08:19
My biggest anxiety is running out of film before I am ready to stop shooting.

On the subject of location, I was thinking about Brett Weston, a man that I never met, but with whom I have shared friends and aquaintances. There is a quote on the Art Wright documentary additional interviews where his trip to London is described and his host's concern that the only thing he found to shoot was rust on a bridge.

Potential art is like potential energy, it is everywhere. When you apply force or a catalyst it reacts.

ic-racer
5-Nov-2020, 08:30
My biggest anxiety and probably only one, is finding places to practice photography outside my private property and home.

jmdavis
5-Nov-2020, 08:53
My biggest anxiety and probably only one, is finding places to practice photography outside my private property and home.

Why?

otto.f
5-Nov-2020, 10:09
My ‘anxieties’ are dust and development errors of myself (in B&W) and declining quality of C41 and E6 development of labs. In the Netherlands they seem very careless, as if they are stockholders of digital camera companies.

ic-racer
12-Nov-2020, 15:32
Why?

There are less and less places where one can setup and work without being asked to leave or be treated like a criminal.

I remember a few years ago when I was re-newing my diver's license. There was a big poster with a person using what looked like a film SLR with the caption "Report Suspicious Activity." I wish I would have taken a picture of the poster, but "No Photography Allowed."
Here is another one. Particularly troublesome due to my knees, I take a lot of images my car.

Renato Tonelli
18-Nov-2020, 08:13
Adding to ic-racer's point:

I live in a building complex with a pretty nice garden area and big beautiful trees. A few years ago I started photographing the close-up details of the trees with both a 4x5 and a Rollei SL66; after a few outings, the security guards started giving me a hard time about the tripod in the grass area, what was I photographing, did I have permission (to photograph a tree?!?).

It is really annoying and sometimes unnerving.

jmdavis
18-Nov-2020, 08:47
i understand over-suspicious security. I was once threatened with Trespass for using my 8 inch Telescope in a State Park where I was camping. I have been questioned by law enforcement about my tripods. I have been threatened with arrest by a city Sheriff's deputy for shooting an eviction with my Range Finger. I stopped long enough to contact the desk sergeant and the Watch commander, register an informal complaint and then go back to shooting the process. The deputy did not threaten me the second time.

My philosophy is to be polite, to answer relevant and legal questions, to register complaint if I am harrassed, and to go do it again. During the lockdown, I was photographing empty gyms and park playgrounds with the rangefinder and RB67. While I was observed by Police, I was not bothered. Maybe it was a result of being old and fat. I don't know.

Richard Wasserman
18-Nov-2020, 11:19
I have never had any serious problems with official security/police. But, I have given up photographing in rural locations near where I live because guys in pickup trucks, and it was always guys in pickup trucks, would park about 500 feet from me and watch me. I'm not sure what they were thinking as none of them ever spoke to me. I assume it was pure intimidation and it worked...

jmdavis
18-Nov-2020, 11:34
Richard,

I shoot alot in rural areas. I've never had that, but they may ignore me because of my beard and my pickup. But I avoid people in general.

Richard Wasserman
18-Nov-2020, 11:38
Richard,

I shoot alot in rural areas. I've never had that, but they may ignore me because of my beard and my pickup. But I avoid people in general.

I have the beard, maybe I need a truck

Eric Woodbury
18-Nov-2020, 11:44
I'm in the "other" camp. I'm still shooting all the time and I already have so many negatives to print that I worry I won't get to all them in my lifetime.

tgtaylor
18-Nov-2020, 11:48
I had one run-in with a Stockton Police officer who prevented me from photographing in the Port of Stockton. I was ready to go to jail over it but during the heated exchange I took a close look around and decided that there was nothing to photograph that caught my eye so I gave up and drove out.

The only other encounter with law enforcement that I recall was in 1996 when a friend and I were out observing the Great Comet of 1996 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hyakutake with binoculars in rural San Benito County. Around 2am a County Sheriff out on patrol pulled up and, leaving his headlights on of course, came over to see what was going on. He got into observing the comet - waxing about the wonders and infinity of the universe and all. Turned out to be a friendly encounter.

Jim Noel
18-Nov-2020, 16:30
Age, 91, and lack of freedom to photograph in many beautiful areas.I have a freezer full of film and have told my family I hope to die as I expose the last sheet.

John Layton
18-Nov-2020, 23:41
Just read the last few posts...and two things stand out - "those guys in pickup trucks," and being anxious in the middle of nowhere. As for the first...don't get me wrong - I love pickup trucks! But...just what is it about "those guys in pickup trucks?" They can seem (and sometimes actually be) so very angry and aggressive! As for being alone - my problem is not being so in the middle of nowhere...I love the middle of nowhere and feel quite at home wherever that place might be. My problem is being alone...in a car wash...where there is no chance of escape until its over!

jnantz
20-Nov-2020, 16:54
still not anxious and have started making my own emulsion again .. I haven't used up all my film though ...

ericantonio
23-Nov-2020, 08:13
#3 for me. We all live busy lives. I used to do this work professionally (assisting and lab work). What I found in life was "it's better to make $ and do the things you like on the side". That's just me, it may be different for other people who want to pursue it full time.

All my processing stuff is temporary these days. So setting up and breaking down to process and even scanning takes a bit of time. Time away from other things.

neil poulsen
26-Nov-2020, 08:31
My #1 LF anxiety, both when this thread began, and now . . .

Ilford going out of business. :eek:

John Layton
27-Nov-2020, 07:57
Feels like this year we've all been stuck in (our) little towns!

Axelwik
27-Nov-2020, 17:24
Dust, light leaks.

Duolab123
27-Nov-2020, 20:25
Geez I wasn't anxious, but now I'm feeling guilty for not getting more done.

This Covid 19 thing has stopped me from working with my younger, more exposed friends. I really love medium format too. But contact prints are my favorite thing, regardless of size.

John Layton
28-Nov-2020, 10:10
Topic for another thread perhaps...specifically about how much or little we've accomplished photographically during the pandemic. Not quite brave enough to start this - but if nobody else does then maybe I will.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2020, 10:19
Make new thread

Please

Topic for another thread perhaps...specifically about how much or little we've accomplished photographically during the pandemic. Not quite brave enough to start this - but if nobody else does then maybe I will.

Duolab123
28-Nov-2020, 15:23
I sometimes worry about money, that something will come along, once in a lifetime, that I don't have "mad money" to buy. I'm not a vegetarian but I use a pressure cooker to prepare dry beans, that I buy in 25 lb bags at the Amish grocery. I would bet that I spend the majority of my "non-essential spending" on old photo stuff, tools etc. I wouldn't own a boat, if I had room maybe a little underpowered sports car.

I'm going to try to behave, lots of stuff to print, and keep me busy.

John Kasaian
14-Jan-2021, 19:28
Running out of time and running out of health. There is so much I'd like to photograph on big beautiful negatives.

Paul Ron
18-Jan-2021, 06:59
lugging so much stuff around.

Alan Klein
18-Jan-2021, 09:34
At 75, I started 4x5 LF this year and my back is giving out. My heavy medium format kit isn't helping the situation either.

Peter De Smidt
18-Jan-2021, 10:33
My biggest anxiety when shooting film is that something will happen and I'll not get a usable shot, whether due to a light leak, a shutter mishap, or similar. I don't have a lot of time to do LF photography at the moment, and wasting time, effort and money is a sadness. I haven't shot my 8x10 since my last outing, where light leaks ruined all but one shot due to a camera fault.

Jim Noel
18-Jan-2021, 11:19
It's not anxiety, but concern. As I approach 92 years in the next month, I find it harder to carry the equipment and get it on a tripod. I also don't have the energy to make more than 3 or 4 negatives per day.

Ben Calwell
19-Jan-2021, 17:06
Being a world class introvert, my anxiety with LF photography has always been that I hate drawing attention to myself. Setting up a tripod and fixing a giant camera to it is guaranteed to get you noticed. I hate having an audience, but once I’m set up, I can usually block out distractions. One other anxiety is my reluctance to venture onto what I assume to be private property to get a photo. If I see someone, I always ask first. Years ago, a friend and I were chewed out by a property owner for setting up in a field he owned.

Alan Klein
21-Jan-2021, 11:56
Being a world class introvert, my anxiety with LF photography has always been that I hate drawing attention to myself. Setting up a tripod and fixing a giant camera to it is guaranteed to get you noticed. I hate having an audience, but once I’m set up, I can usually block out distractions. One other anxiety is my reluctance to venture onto what I assume to be private property to get a photo. If I see someone, I always ask first. Years ago, a friend and I were chewed out by a property owner for setting up in a field he owned.

Me too. On both scores. But it was worth it. Here's the shot. (taken with MF)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7296/11854936794_809e2372fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/j4zDFY)
Snowset (https://flic.kr/p/j4zDFY) by Alan Klein (https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/), on Flickr

Ben Calwell
21-Jan-2021, 18:05
Me too. On both scores. But it was worth it. Here's the shot. (taken with MF)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7296/11854936794_809e2372fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/j4zDFY)
Snowset (https://flic.kr/p/j4zDFY) by Alan Klein (https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/), on Flickr

That’s a beauty — nice light.

Alan Klein
22-Jan-2021, 06:48
That’s a beauty — nice light.
Thanks. Yeah, the woman was really upset I was on their property. She sent her husband after me. He was laid back when I explained I didn't see any signs that it was private. Apparently, it's happened before. I got his email address and sent him a copy of the picture about a month later. Funny thing, I was just driving by at the right time and noticed the light and snow with all the pinks and blues. The property is on the main road a few miles from where I live but next to county property. So it's easy to get confused especially when you're blinded by the light :)

John Layton
25-Jan-2021, 07:31
Yes...good idea to make amends by giving a copy to the property owner.

Funny (and poignant) story. Years ago I noticed a truly wonderful old maple next to a farmhouse as I was driving past. Well after the fall though - so this tree was devoid of leaves...and the cloudy backlight was spectacular - moody. While I was not specifically out to photograph...I did happen to have a vintage Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 RF with me, so I circled back to compose a photo. As I did this, an elderly woman suddenly appeared from the farmhouse. "You can't take that picture...the leaves are gone!" She seemed genuinely pissed...not because I was there with my camera generally - but because, well, the leaves were gone!

Long story short...I gave the woman a mounted, framed print of this photo - and many years later after the woman had died, I established a friendship with her daughters family...who by then had moved into the same house. Sound like a cliche...but over the fireplace mantle in that house, there was my photograph...which, according to the daughter, her late mother had treasured!

Ben Calwell
25-Jan-2021, 13:11

Funny (and poignant) story. Years ago I noticed a truly wonderful old maple next to a farmhouse as I was driving past. Well after the fall though - so this tree was devoid of leaves...and the cloudy backlight was spectacular - moody. While I was not specifically out to photograph...I did happen to have a vintage Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 RF with me, so I circled back to compose a photo. As I did this, an elderly woman suddenly appeared from the farmhouse. "You can't take that picture...the leaves are gone!" She seemed genuinely pissed...not because I was there with my camera generally - but because, well, the leaves were gone!

Long story short...I gave the woman a mounted, framed print of this photo - and many years later after the woman had died, I established a friendship with her daughters family...who by then had moved into the same house. Sound like a cliche...but over the fireplace mantle in that house, there was my photograph...which, according to the daughter, her late mother had treasured!

What a great story!

Alan Klein
25-Jan-2021, 17:14

That's a wonderful story. It teaches a lesson. Forget saving your photos on drives and the cloud or worrying about what heirs will do with your pictures. (Your wife's next husband will probably throw them all out anyway. ). Make blowups, frame them, and give them to friends and family. They will treasure them and while you're still alive, always give you thanks and appreciation. What could be better?

Tin Can
25-Jan-2021, 17:46
I have some 50 year friends that built their own house on many acres. I watched one local on a dozer make the dam for their pond, after the house was roofed they moved out of their tipi and kept building

I was there all along, to see them stock the pond and swim naked in it with Bluegill nibbling on all naughty bits

As soon as possible I pray I get permission to shoot LF as they have a paradise on a mile long gravel drive, horses and great angles to photograph

obviously give them any size print they want

the time is now or never

Alan Klein
26-Jan-2021, 17:06
I have some 50 year friends that built their own house on many acres. I watched one local on a dozer make the dam for their pond, after the house was roofed they moved out of their tipi and kept building

I was there all along, to see them stock the pond and swim naked in it with Bluegill nibbling on all naughty bits

As soon as possible I pray I get permission to shoot LF as they have a paradise on a mile long gravel drive, horses and great angles to photograph

obviously give them any size print they want

the time is now or never
Post that picture here when you get it. In 8x10. :)

pdmoylan
26-Jan-2021, 22:17
Two other things come to mind: 1. Fear of losing footing (now approaching 70) while climbing boulders to get "the shot". I had two falls, one in the Adirondacks with my 4x5 gear which caused a shoulder separation and still bothers me, and a second where I fell on ice photographing patterns and reflections which messed up the other shoulder and caused a compression fracture in my humerus. They bother me almost daily and there are times when I can't lay on either side in bed, and 2. Radical change of favorite sites due to a) loss of habitat to development (including the planting of trees in perfectly good wildflower producing fields), b) effects of climate change, and c) the human "trampling syndrome (too much loved). I traveled two years ago to a favorite spot on the way to Lake Placid NY, where I had taken some of my best 4x5 work, and I couldn't believe the litter, erosion from foot trails from too many hikers/climbers, but more importantly, the death of virtually all of the birches and maples due to acid rain and warmer temps.

For safety, and though I spend most of my time in remote areas, I now bring a switchblade in case I get hassled including by motorcyclists riding on back trails (NJ Pine Barrens), or homeless who in warm weather pitch small tents in out of the places (but still close enough to roads). I had one occasion in the Pines where a dude say in his 30s comes out of the brush completely nude and swinging a "sizable package" and starts talking to me looking for "companionship". I simply stopped talking to him, moved to the other side of the bog and began shooting again, and ignored him. He eventually left. I surreptitiously booted my phone just in case I needed to get help.

Don't discount ticks, chiggers and plant allergic reactions which cause anxiety. I had chiggers last year for several weeks, the itching was pretty annoying. Lotions didn't work well. I now avoid some areas due to prior bad experiences.

pdmoylan
26-Jan-2021, 23:22
Please permit me to add one more notable and seemingly omnipresent nemesis, the _reeking WIND!!!! I am not one to disgrace myself with use of foul language, but I tend to “let ‘er rip” like some amoral salty dog, when it comes to the vandal of all things temporary and fragile... and is it me or has the volatility increased over the years.

Countless number of photo journal entries over 38 years which speak of frustration over this challenging threat to good images. And let me say that the “waiting game” is not terribly conducive to satisfactory relationships. “Why are you late”, she would ask, and how would I not seem like an _ss using an excuse “well i was waiting for the wind to stop”.

Ben Calwell
27-Jan-2021, 05:25
I thought of another photography-related anxiety: Ilford going out of business.

Alan Klein
27-Jan-2021, 18:23
Two other things come to mind: 1. Fear of losing footing (now approaching 70) while climbing boulders to get "the shot". I had two falls, one in the Adirondacks with my 4x5 gear which caused a shoulder separation and still bothers me, and a second where I fell on ice photographing patterns and reflections which messed up the other shoulder and caused a compression fracture in my humerus. They bother me almost daily and there are times when I can't lay on either side in bed, and 2. Radical change of favorite sites due to a) loss of habitat to development (including the planting of trees in perfectly good wildflower producing fields), b) effects of climate change, and c) the human "trampling syndrome (too much loved). I traveled two years ago to a favorite spot on the way to Lake Placid NY, where I had taken some of my best 4x5 work, and I couldn't believe the litter, erosion from foot trails from too many hikers/climbers, but more importantly, the death of virtually all of the birches and maples due to acid rain and warmer temps.

For safety, and though I spend most of my time in remote areas, I now bring a switchblade in case I get hassled including by motorcyclists riding on back trails (NJ Pine Barrens), or homeless who in warm weather pitch small tents in out of the places (but still close enough to roads). I had one occasion in the Pines where a dude say in his 30s comes out of the brush completely nude and swinging a "sizable package" and starts talking to me looking for "companionship". I simply stopped talking to him, moved to the other side of the bog and began shooting again, and ignored him. He eventually left. I surreptitiously booted my phone just in case I needed to get help.

Don't discount ticks, chiggers and plant allergic reactions which cause anxiety. I had chiggers last year for several weeks, the itching was pretty annoying. Lotions didn't work well. I now avoid some areas due to prior bad experiences.

Living in NJ in retirement, I was thinking of spending some days in the Pine Barrens to shoot. IS it really that dangerous?

I had a lot of problems with ticks. I often use Permethrin impregnated clothes that I found works 100%. You can buy them on-line. They are pricey but the clothes are good for 70 washings. The company also has a service where you can send your clothes to them and they will impregnate you clothes with a 70 washing treatment.
https://www.insectshield.com/collections/insect-shield-your-clothes

Or, you also can spray Permethrin on clothes which are good for 2-4 weeks. Sawyer has the spray cans available as do other companies.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Repellent-Clothing/dp/B08J9P9QGY

pdmoylan
28-Jan-2021, 08:37
Alan,

I have spent hundreds of hours traversing and photographing the NJ Pines over the years, in some cases leading photo trips there. Some of my favorite spots are Bryndon Byrne (Lebanon State Forest), Bass River, Martha's Furnace, Webs Mill, Northern Cape May, Whitesbog, Atsion, Batsto and Warren Grove. Some of the best spots in season are miles from main roads accessible via the matrix of fire roads which proliferate throughout.

Having worked in NYC for quite a while, I never felt threatened, whereas when you are isolated in remote areas accessible by dirt bikers, homeless etc, far from main roads, I feel one has to be prepared. I have never had a confrontation in the Pines, but had some very weird interactions.

Deer ticks are common from Dec-April during warm temps with Lone Star ticks the rest of the year. They all carry disease. May and June you can hit a "nest" of tick nympths and find hundreds of tiny black specks crawling around on your shoes and socks. DEET works well but is not a fail safe as ticks can get on jackets and shirts. Wear knee high boots when in bogs or near water ways if possible (not conducive for hiking) to avoid chiggers. I would also avoid Dovers Forge and Stafford Forge as these are areas where I have had some issues.

The Pines have a wonderful subtle beauty which I have found difficult at times to capture on film. Compositions do not come easily there, and you have to work hard to pull out something of interest (at least for me).

I am back there in May (camping) and again randomly from late June to mid August in various locations. There are many rare and globally endangered plant species, but most of these gems are "hidden" by predominance of Pitch Pine-Oak forests interspersed with White Cedar bogs and the occasional savannah. Late Spring, but particularly summer and again in fall with change in color are times to explore. Beaver, Turkey, River Otters and Timber Rattlesnakes (rare) are endemic.

You might consider reading John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens" and look for botanizing postings online by Karl Anderson (now retired) and other which speak of good locations. If you need more information on spots to visit and best times, PM me. Check out some of my Pine Barren images in threads on this site. There is at least one other subscriber here who spends time in the Pines for LF.

Best,

PD

Alan Klein
29-Jan-2021, 06:02
PD Thanks. I couldn't find your pictures. When I click on Photos, all I get is No Recent Activity.

pdmoylan
29-Jan-2021, 08:24
Waters Edge pages 290-291.

pdmoylan
29-Jan-2021, 08:43
Also Waters Edge Page 352.

I don't know if Joe O'Hara is still active, but he has some very fine work from several spots in the pines, I believe Whitesbog in particular. You might PM him for good spots.

Duolab123
11-Apr-2021, 09:29
Not all Stoners are failures, some even grow out of it

My father told me, you can drink when you are young or old but not both

I found this inspirational and have

Jesus Just Left Chicago (https://youtu.be/pN69GC2amTg)

I gave up alcohol, permanently when I was 57. My job had been "internationalized" I had spent over 5 years training PhDs from China and India how to do my job. Then I and several thousand other Americans were let go (10 years ago this June). I had always lived with the theory to live a paid for life. So I just went home. Spent a couple years drinking beer and watching Netflix. Quit drinking, on my own, I had a very wise woman therapist, she just listened, and would reinforce my good decisions. I was lucky to find a part time job with some fellow castaways, paid well. I retired from it on my own volition 3 years back, still friends with the management. I have been lucky that I have the camera and darkroom hobby. These big old cameras and enlargers have given me a volition that I love.

Paul Ron
12-Apr-2021, 05:59
carrying so much stuff.

John Layton
12-Apr-2021, 11:28
Last weed smoked in the summer of 1982...with a son (now deceased) of one of the greatest (I think the greatest) photographers ever. Will not share his name as I've not been in touch with his surviving kin - but I've always felt so very blessed by that experience!

But pot...nowadays? One hit wonder (as in, one hit and wonder what happened to the last eight hours!)...while in "the old days" one could do a bit of "circle time" among close friends and have it be a meaningful/bonding, actually memorable (and rememberable) experience - with much wonderfully convoluted philosophy shared, lots of laughs...and then be able to get up and carry on afterwards!

How I miss those days...when social intelligence/truly intimate verbal communication was still somewhat intact...before everyone started staring downwards into their iPhones!

letchhausen
12-Apr-2021, 12:32
I looked at the list and didn't see any anxieties until I realized that as a Kodak shooter (Portra and Tri-X) that Kodak going out of business makes me anxious. Sure, I could shoot something else for B&W, but color neg? I'd be hosed. As I'm starting to get back into B&W I set up a contact printing station in the bathroom and my anxiety now is that Lodima may be out of the game (almost all sizes sold out) and Adox Lupex is the last silver chloride paper standing. I guess I'm happy there's one left. But yeah, the future of analog photo materials makes me anxious.

I've had so many encounters with security guards, weirdos, law enforcement, border patrol, gang members, what have you, that I just consider that stuff part of the photo experience. A few years ago I was shooting in my old neighborhood in Detroit (now burned down) and a black Escalade came to a screeching halt and backed up to just behind me. I kept adjusting the camera as these guys started yelling out from the car. I walked over and saw four guys, all strapped with pistols and a cloud of pot smoke coming out of their SUV. They asked what I was doing and I explained; how I grew up here and it was a shame these neighborhoods were falling apart, etc. They agreed and told me some areas where there was some cool graffiti and I should take pictures of that and put that out as a coffee table book. They all agreed they'd buy something like that. I said I'd check it out and thanked them and they drove off. I love encounters like that. I had a similar situation in New Mexico where I was trespassing off a road near the border and I hear a car screeching to a halt and backing up and it was a Border Patrol truck. I kept messing with my camera figuring I'd pretend I didn't know I was trespassing. The agent comes running up, "Hey, I'm a photographer, too!" Then we had a long conversation about photography and the border situation, etc. He told me that the skies down there were great for astro-photography and I should get into that. Interesting situations, but there's always a little anxiety around people carrying guns.