PDA

View Full Version : Balsam Separation on Used Lens

alavergh
11-May-2014, 19:28
I have found a lens that I'd like to purchase but I'm looking for somebody who might know a little more based on a photo.

It's a Fujinon SWD series lens and it is said to be in good condition other than balsam separation. I was told to reference this specific photo. I have looked up different lenses with this condition and this doesn't look bad.

Please let me know how you think it would perform and where I might see problems.

Thanks!115251

alavergh
11-May-2014, 19:31
115252And this is the front...

oldlincoln
11-May-2014, 21:27
Is that separation or just the paint lifting a la schneideritis? I would guess from the vintage this one will be well into UV cured resin era.
Regards,
Eric

Jac@stafford.net
11-May-2014, 22:36
I would pass on that lens. It is overpriced even if you only keep the shutter.

alavergh
12-May-2014, 22:00
Overpriced? Did you find it online? It's just over $200 but basically, I'm looking for a lens wider than 90mm on 4x5 that's good for $200 or less.

Jac@stafford.net
13-May-2014, 00:15
Overpriced? Did you find it online? It's just over $200 but basically, I'm looking for a lens wider than 90mm on 4x5 that's good for $200 or less.

Yes, I found it listed on the 'bay. He has a cleaner one listed, too, but not for $200 or less.

goamules
13-May-2014, 05:09
I have found a lens that I'd like to purchase but I'm looking for somebody who might know a little more based on a photo.

It's a Fujinon SWD series lens and it is said to be in good condition other than balsam separation. I was told to reference this specific photo. I have looked up different lenses with this condition and this doesn't look bad.

Please let me know how you think it would perform and where I might see problems.

Thanks!

It will perform fine, you would not notice any difference between this and a perfect one. It would affect the resale/value, as you've seen, only. Here is yet another test, on small format even, with a guy using severely damaged lenses: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html