PDA

View Full Version : Which camera to choose... For portrait, landscape, close ups, wet plate and digital

tbo
11-May-2014, 13:47
Totally new to this, and overwhelmed by information :-)

I have started to look for a camera for wet plate collodion, and have found LF to be interesting. I am looking for a 4x5 camera that can be used for wet plate, portrait, landscape, and (maybe) close ups... And it would be very interesting if I could attach my Phase One back for Hasselblad to it (at least for learning purposes).

Is this possible with one system? I have been looking at a few wooden models, but are unsure about the possibility to attach the digital back.

For the digital back I guess something like this would fit:

"Widepan Adapter Hasselblad Magazine to 4x5 Body"
"4X5 moveable digital back Hasselblad"

Price for the camera? Not more than necessary...

hoffner
11-May-2014, 14:49
Is this possible with one system? I have been looking at a few wooden models, but are unsure about the possibility to attach the digital back.

Price for the camera? Not more than necessary...

I would suggest the Cyclo Poco old camera. It used to attach a whole bicycle to it (no kidding)! It would easily attach a digital back like your Phase One.

jbenedict
11-May-2014, 20:35
You will need a Graflok back to attach the adapter for the digital back. A revolving back such as from a Toyo view camera (many available and not too expensive) would give you the Graflok feature. The revolving feature would make it a lot handier than having to actually remove the back of the camera to go from vertical to horizontal compassion and vice versa.

Noah B
11-May-2014, 21:01
basically any camera with a graflok back will grant you phase one access. id go with a linhof if you want to do all that stuff, it gives you a little more movements than a speed graphic and has a decent bellows draw for macro. deardorffs are great cameras, and if you get a 4x5 you can get a 5x7 back and have 2 formats in 1 if thats your style. I've had a few different brands the past few years but recently i picked up a linhof and i love it. after a long time of trying to find what works for me its nice to know i finally found it!

tbo
12-May-2014, 00:36
Deardorff 5x7 with 4x5 back. It has the bellows draw and is a proven tool that has been used for what you ask about for decades.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Looks like lovly cameras - but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment (if the prices I can see on auction sites is correct).

tbo
12-May-2014, 00:46
Yes, the problem now is to learn how to spot a graflok back - it is difficult to use auction sites as learning grounds, as a lot of sellers know little or nothing about the items they are selling...

Is it enough to have a graflok (for the digital back) - or do I have to watch out for difficulties using wet plate collodion on some cameras?

tbo
12-May-2014, 01:47
I guess this would qualify as a graflok back?

Would it be any problems using a wista 45 sp for wet plate collodion?

greenbank
12-May-2014, 02:01
Thanks very much for the feedback. Looks like lovly cameras - but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment (if the prices I can see on auction sites is correct).

Depends on your price range (which you didn't specify). Keh Camera currently lists a Toyo 45C at $199, which will certainly give you the Graflok back (as well as full movements).

tbo
12-May-2014, 02:12
Depends on your price range (which you didn't specify). Keh Camera currently lists a Toyo 45C at $199, which will certainly give you the Graflok back (as well as full movements).

Sorry for not specifying - it depends on a lot of things - I started out in the 200-500 USD range, but I see now that I also find cameras up to 1400 USD that looks interesting.... So who knows what I might sell to get something I really want ;-)

tbo
13-May-2014, 08:31
Thanks for the feedback, I have now found a camera to experience with.