PDA

View Full Version : Micrometric Orbix

Glenn Kroeger
17-Oct-2004, 11:47
Can someone explain the design of Arca's micrometric orbix. I have seen and handled non-geared orbix (back in summer 2000). Specific questions: Where/how big is the knob? Is there any zero detent? Is this easier to adjust for small tilts than ordinary orbix?

Richard Martel
17-Oct-2004, 12:31
The MicroMetric Orbix knob on my A/S is about 5/8 inches in diameter. It was on the left side of the front standard when I received my camera. I wanted it on the right side close to the front focus knob. I did the conversion from LH to RH myself and am very happy with the ease of control with both knobs on the same side. Yes, there is a zero detent. Re your third ?...???

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
17-Oct-2004, 16:04
Re your third: yes it is. However I am perfectly happy with my manual orbix.

Mike H.
18-Oct-2004, 10:23
IMHO, it is SUPER easier to handle than manual - for big or small tilts. My manual Orbix required both hands to move - which then required me to support my Toyo focusing aid against the view glass with my bi-focals; not an easy task for someone coordinationally challenged. :-) Since converting to the micrometric Orbix - no problem! And, since I'm now using both hands anyway, one for the Orbix and one for the focusing aid, doesn't really matter whether Orbix is right or left handed. I'm now used to using left hand for Orbix, so guess I wouldn't try to switch midstream.

Emmanuel BIGLER
19-Oct-2004, 02:47
Although I'm a recent happy user of the manual Orbix®, I agree that Mike H. has a good point.

The Orbix is self-locking when you push anywhere outside its base. This is amazing but, agreed, you need both hands to set the manual Orbix really comfortably. When setting the geared 'micrometric' orbix, by construction, you apply the force exactly where it should be with one hand only.