PDA

View Full Version : help needed with cezanne scanner

barrybest
10-May-2014, 08:21
Hello,

I have bought a screen cezanne FT-S5000 it came with a mac g4, the problem is that the mac died. I don't want to spent money on a other slow g4 mac, the scanning was slow but transferring the files to usb was way to slow. Does anyone here know how to use the cezanne FT-S5000 on a windows computer with vue scan or other software.

Or has anyone used the sezanne scanner on a newer mac machine for example the mac g5.

all help and sugestions are welcome.

Greetings barry

Peter De Smidt
10-May-2014, 10:22
No one has gotten one working on a PC that I know of. Yes, with Color Genius V2 you can work with a newer Mac, although I'm not sure how new. Check out Screen's download page. They have updates and readme files for various updates. The scanner's firmware might need to be updated, as well as the computer software. G4s and G5s are super cheap on Craigslist.

StoneNYC
11-May-2014, 00:19
I thought Viewscan could be used with almost any scanner? I would think this one in particular would be in the list no?

barrybest
11-May-2014, 03:12
Hello,

unfortunaty it doesn't work with vue scan.
I think I can instal a scsi card on a mac g5 with color genius and color scope.
the other option is to buy a older mac, g4 and instal a usb 2 port on it so the tranfer is a lot quiker, scanning times don't matter that much but transfering the files to usb by a usb 1 prt is just to slow

Peter De Smidt
11-May-2014, 07:13
I thought Viewscan could be used with almost any scanner? I would think this one in particular would be in the list no?

No, and according to Ed there's no plan to add it.

Peter De Smidt
11-May-2014, 07:15
I use a G4 with maxed out ram and USB 2 card.

StoneNYC
11-May-2014, 08:21
Okay, well I was going through this issue with my Canon 1V and wanting to use the ES-E1 cable to download the shooting data, but the program stopped updating in windows 95.

It was suggested to me to install some kind of emulator program, there were a few options, but I haven't tried any just yet, but they could be an option?

As far as SCSI cables... They make a SCSI to USB conversion cable... They work so far as I've seen. That solves compatibility issues on the hardware end?

Peter De Smidt
11-May-2014, 08:56
Make sure to read the release notes at: http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/download/
Only some scsi cards are known to work. I seem to remember some people successfully using a firewire to scsi adapter, but I don't have specifics. A search should bring that sort of thing up.
I'll probably pick up a G5 eventually, but I haven't been doing much scanning lately, and so motivation has been lacking. The G4 works fine, as long as it's ram is maxed out. I'm running 10.3 on it with CG V2. Colorscope is super old. I wouldn't mess with it.

barrybest
11-May-2014, 16:09
Hello,

I think my best option is to buy a cheap mac g4 and build in the scsi card from my broken mac g4 and buy a pci usb 2.0 card so the data transfer is way quiker then the normal usb 1.1 connection on the g4's.

what do you think peter?

Peter De Smidt
11-May-2014, 17:30
What version of Color Genius do you have?

barrybest
12-May-2014, 12:02
hello,

I have color genius 2 butit is upgradable to 2.14, i have a adaptec 2906 scsi card the scsi card wont work with mac g5 so the choose is easy, i need to buy a mc g4 and to fasten up the trasfer times i wil buil in a usb 2.0 card.

till what version is of mac os is colo genius compatible?

barry

Peter De Smidt
12-May-2014, 17:02
You'll have to check the screen download page. I use 10.3 on my G4. Using OS10 is a good thing, as USB2 boards don't support OS9. A g4 or G5 with os 10.3 would be a good choice. If you get a G4, make sure to max out it's ram.

Corran
13-May-2014, 07:25
I had the same problem with USB being ridiculously slow. I don't know how, but the previous owner told me he got the G4 to connect over LAN to his Windows computer. I tore my hair out for weeks trying to do that to no avail.

I finally just bought a Firewire Compact Flash card reader/writer. It is way faster than even USB2. The model I got looked like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291144287557 but I can't guarantee that it'll work. I tried an older purple Lexar and it didn't work with the G4 so don't try that one.

barrybest
16-May-2014, 08:45
Hello,

Unfortunatly I was stupid enough to saume I hade verion 2 of color genius, but i have 1.03 and after research I found out that this won't work on mac os 10.5?
anyone here got an answer how to use the cezanne 5000 on mac 10.5?

is csreen really asking 1000 dollar for a software update to 2.0?

getting fed up with this, I just want to scan my files and the transfer them to usb with a reasonable speed,