PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about lens boards (on a Crown Graphic)

macandal
9-May-2014, 16:37
I have a Schneider 180mm Symmar-S, which is, I believe, a copal 1 shutter. My lens came on a Wista board which I cannot use on my F2. Anyway, is it possible to use this lens on a 4x5 Crown Graphic? My CG came with a Graflex 135mm f4.7 lens on its own board. I suspect I cannot use this board on the Schneider, right? If I can use the 180mm on the CG, what type of board do I need? Am I correct in assuming that older cameras did not operate under the "copal" system of lens boards? Did they go by a different type of measurement? If I could use the Wista board that would be great, since I already have one.

Thanks.

Dan Fromm
9-May-2014, 16:55
You need a lens board to fit a 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic drilled for a Copal #1 shutter. According to http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters/standardcopals the hole should be 41.6 mm in diameter. In fact 40 mm will do.

www.keh.com has a few 4x5 "Graphic Press" boards with 40 mm holes, more with smaller holes. A hole that's too small can be enlarged or the board can have a new hole the right (larger) size drilled.

These boards are often offered on ebay, KEH's prices will serve as a reference. For all I know someone in this forum may have one for sale.

For the most part lens boards are camera-specific. In particular, your Crown Graphic will accept only proper metal 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic boards.

jbenedict
9-May-2014, 20:53
FYI: There is a commonly available adapter board to use Pacemaker Graphic boards on Anniversary Graphics and other cameras with 4x4 boards. One of these is the Kodak Masterview and all of its different iterations (Calumet CC400, B&J Orbit). Meaning, you can standardize your lens board and use it on a variety of cameras with this adapter.

macandal
10-May-2014, 09:58
Thanks guys. What I also want to know is what size (the opening, the copal?) is the lensboard holding the Graflex 135mm f4.7 lens? In other words, could I use that board with the Schneider 180mm? Thanks.

Dan Fromm
10-May-2014, 11:03
If the shutter's rear tube is accessible without taking it off the board, measure its OD. Otherwise take it off the board and measure its diameter. I told you in post #2 what size hole a Copal #1 needs.

macandal
10-May-2014, 12:05
If the shutter's rear tube is accessible without taking it off the board, measure its OD. Otherwise take it off the board and measure its diameter. I told you in post #2 what size hole a Copal #1 needs.Yes, Dan, I know you told me the size it has to be to fit my Schneider lens. What I wanted to know was if someone knew the size of the hole that's holding the 135mm lens. That way if I know it won't fit the Schneider lens, I won't bother removing it.

Thanks.

BrianShaw
10-May-2014, 12:22
Using the procedure recommended by Dan, I measure about 35mm for an Optar 135. You may want to verify using your own ruler, though.