PDA

View Full Version : Ebony SW45 vs. SH TFC-45 II B with heavy lenses and full extension

genotypewriter
9-May-2014, 09:27
If the title didn't give the question away: Does anyone have experience with the Ebony SW45 or Shen Hao TFC-45 II B and lenses around 2.2lbs/1Kg at maximum extension?

I know that both Ebony and Shen Hao have non-folders that have more extension but I'm only really interested in the two mentioned because of the shorter closed/retracted length. I'm very inclined towards getting the Ebony because it is lighter but I also know that lighter isn't always better.

If it makes any difference I've also owned: Chamonix 8x10 (v1), Chamonix 045-N2, a Linhof Kardan 8x10 monorail in the past and currently I use a Shen Hao TFC-810A (8x10 non-folder) and a 4x5 Speed Graphic. I know that Shen Haos are sturdy cameras (I've put the ~12lbs/5Kg 12"/2.5 Aero Ektar on the TFC-810A with no issues) so the question is more about the Ebony.

Thanks for the advice in advance...

Guy

Jac@stafford.net
9-May-2014, 10:35
There are a few solutions. Beginning with the off-the-shelf stuff, you can combine a Bogen Super Clamp clamped to one tripod leg (http://whitemetal.com/pentax/smct_500_45/P1040573.jpg) out front, combined with a Manfrotto 3252 Long Lens Support (but attached to the lens, not a camera body), and a tripod-mount strap to the lens (several available from various vendors.)

Note: Many affordable substitutes for the telescoping long lens support are found in retail display stands. They are imported from Italy and have the very same 1/4"x24 fittings.

A strange solution is to use a telescope camera stand (probably discontinued) as shown here (http://www.digoliardi.net/standw.jpg) on the fragile Sinar Alpa with a very heavy lens. One sold for cheap in a lot of stuff on the 'bay a couple weeks ago.

Or make your own platform of wood.

dave_whatever
9-May-2014, 11:20
If the title didn't give the question away: Does anyone have experience with the Ebony SW45 or Shen Hao TFC-45 II B and lenses around 2.2lbs/1Kg at maximum extension?

No but I've owned a TFC45B and the Ebony RSW45. Not used with heavy lenses personally, but with any lens on my cameras the Ebony has way more stable and sturdy at all extensions, it was in a different league to the Shen Hao.

Michael Alpert
9-May-2014, 17:40
The Ebony SW45 will easily handle any lens that will fit in a Linhof board. I've used 45, 57, and 810 Ebony cameras for over a decade, and I've never had a problem caused by the weight of a lens. In fact, I've never had any problem with these cameras. Although expensive, the SW45 is a camera you will never need to replace--unless you want a longer bellows or a different format.

genotypewriter
12-May-2014, 20:41
Thanks everyone. Will look in to the SW45 then.

Jac: Thanks for the additional info on work arounds. Creative thinking is always appreciated!