PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor -T ED 270mm lens for 6x9?

Glenn Kroeger
16-Oct-2004, 16:28
I am considering using the Nikkor-T ED 270mm as my long lens for 6x9cm shooting. Any experience with this lens in this application? Closest competition seems to be a 240mm Apo-Ronar, but the Nikkor is faster and uses less bellows. I don't think the image circle will be a problem for my intended uses.

Ernest Purdum
16-Oct-2004, 20:39
Have you considered the problem of using front swings and tilts with a telephoto lens? Rise, fall and shifts are no problem. but trying to use tilts or swings can drive you batty. The "rear nodal point" (sort of an optical pivot point) is way out in front of the lens.

Glenn Kroeger
16-Oct-2004, 21:38
Ernest:

Yes, I am aware of that issue, but not intimately familiar with how batty it will drive me. I suspect I will use rear tilt to avoid the issue and also to stay in the middle of the image circle.

Gem Singer
17-Oct-2004, 14:28
Hi Glen,

The Nikkor 270 T ED is an excellent choice for the 6x9 format. With its 160mm image circle, it will furnish ample coverage. In my experience, when using long tele lenses outdoors, it usually isn't necessary to use extreme rise and tilt movements. An alternate choice would be the Fujinon 300T. The Fuji is less expensive, has a larger image circle (will cover 4x5), and is mounted in a smaller, lighter weight, Copal 0 shutter. The Fuji 300T requires 195mm of bellows extension to focus at infinity. Both new and previously owned 300Ts are usually available at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex).

Emmanuel BIGLER
19-Oct-2004, 04:26
Glenn

There is a very positive review of the 270/6.3 T-ED Nikon lens as a 6x9-6x12 long focal lens by Mr. Bjørn Rørslett, a professional nature photographer from Norway.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_LF.html