PDA

View Full Version : a new lens for 6x9cm

Oren Grad
16-Oct-2004, 10:15
While doing a bit of web-browsing yesterday, I discovered that Linos/Rodenstock had flown in under the radar at photokina with a new lens at the far opposite end of the spectrum from the monster Schneider Fine Art XXL lenses - they introduced a new 100mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S. This is specified as covering 75 degrees like the rest of the Apo-Sironar-S line (except for the 360). Maximum recommended format is 6x9cm, although at 75 degrees the new lens ought to just barely cover 4x5 at f/22 and infinity focus. It's really small - weighs all of 190g in Copal 0.

There's a picture of the new lens at

http://www.photoscala.de/node/view/504

There's also an updated Rodenstock catalog available on the Linos website, including listings of lenses and lens accessories as well as MTFs for selected focal lengths of each lens type:

http://www.linos.de/pdf/en/prod/rodenstock_photo_optics_e.pdf

Sal Santamaura
16-Oct-2004, 11:26
Thanks for the links Oren -- interesting information. An on-line source for MTF data is convenient.

Although I just recently purchased a brand new 100mm Apo Sironar N, your posting does not lead to buyer's remorse. The N has a 40.5 mm filter thread, and fits between the rails of my Horseman VH, permitting it to remain in place with the camera closed. The new 100mm S takes a 49mm filter; that lens would have to be removed before closing the camera.

Oren Grad
16-Oct-2004, 13:35
Sal -

Not to worry. I've had a 100mm Apo-Sironar-N for quite a while - I use it on my VH and VH-R. I think it's a marvelous lens - it's plenty sharp like most other modern lenses, but also has an overall image character that I find very pleasing, including lovely rear bokeh.

Unfortunately, the 100 Apo-Sironar-N has been discontinued along with all the other Apo-Sironar-Ns except for the 150 and 210 (though Bob Salomon tells me that HP Marketing still has some remaining stock on all the Ns for now). In light of that, it was a nice surprise to learn that Linos has decided to continue to serve this market niche after all by adding a 100 to the Apo-Sironar-S series.

Kerry L. Thalmann
17-Oct-2004, 11:45
I often wondered why the APO-Sironar-S line stopped at 135mm on the short end. While the 100mm APO-Sironar-S won't really be useful on 4x5, it would be a great lenses for 6x12 (or 6x7/6x9). I often thought a 120mm APO-Sironar-S would be a great moderate wide angle for 4x5 landscape photography. It would be a cheaper, lighter (albeit lower coverage) alternative to the wonderful 110mm Super Symmar XL. Also, an 80mm APO-Sironar-S would be a wonderful normal to slightly wide lens for the 6x7 and 6x9 formats.

In any case, kudos to Rodenstock on their new 100mm APO-Sironar-S. Look for it soon on a Horseman or Fotoman 6x12 near you.

Kerry