PDA

View Full Version : In need of a focusing screen (4x5)

macandal
5-May-2014, 10:49
I have a 4x5 Sinar F2 and this past weekend I broke the focusing screen.

I'm in need of one. I need something that's bright, of good quality and that's not going to break the bank. I want to spend up to ~$100 for one. Can someone recommend a good one to get? Thanks.

Alan Curtis
5-May-2014, 11:39
Check with Steve at Hopf glass http://www.hopfglass.com/. I purchased a 4x5 glass from him a couple of years ago for my Zone VI. Much brighter than any others I've tried.

Tin Can
5-May-2014, 12:04
Get the borosilicate glass, much stronger and clearer. I have bought several from Steve.

Check with Steve at Hopf glass http://www.hopfglass.com/. I purchased a 4x5 glass from him a couple of years ago for my Zone VI. Much brighter than any others I've tried.

lbenac
5-May-2014, 12:56
Get the borosilicate glass, much stronger and clearer. I have bought several from Steve.

Second that, I just put one on my F2.

macandal
5-May-2014, 12:58

Second that, I just put one on my F2.
I just emailed him with all my info. Waiting for his response. Thanks all.

Alan Curtis
5-May-2014, 13:58
I'll third that about the borosilicate glass. That is what I purchased. Steve is very easy to work with.

macandal
6-May-2014, 09:30
Mmm? I emailed Steve yesterday and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone knows if he's around?

Tin Can
6-May-2014, 09:35
He is not the speediest. He makes them all to order and by hand.

It's a cottage industry for him.

But he is the best!

I now make my own, but not equivalent to his at all.

lbenac
6-May-2014, 09:42
Mmm? I emailed Steve yesterday and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone knows if he's around?

Yes he is. He also has a store on ebay that you can purchase from.

Tin Can
6-May-2014, 09:44
He does prefer direct contact sales as he makes his full profit.

Yes he is. He also has a store on ebay that you can purchase from.

macandal
6-May-2014, 09:49
He just responded. Had some questions for me about the size of the screen. I hope I gave him the right answer.

Anyone know where I can get a Sinar F2 "parts" manual? He needs the size of the screen and I don't know exactly what that is.

Tin Can
6-May-2014, 09:56
I am about to pack and sell a Sinar F with Sinar OE GG, but I don't know if they interchange. I can measure mine, but it would be best to get an authoritative answer.

He just responded. Had some questions for me about the size of the screen. I hope I gave him the right answer.

Anyone know where I can get a Sinar F2 "parts" manual? He needs the size of the screen and I don't know exactly what that is.

macandal
6-May-2014, 10:10
I am about to pack and sell a Sinar F with Sinar OE GG, but I don't know if they interchange. I can measure mine, but it would be best to get an authoritative answer.So, it's not the size of the glass that he needs, he needs me to measure (in millimeters of inches) the spot where the ground glass sits. Randy, as far as I know, Sinar lumped all their F cameras in one manual, so the size of the F would probably also work. Steve thinks the correct size is 100x127mm.

Tin Can
6-May-2014, 10:29
I just tried to measure that. But my vernier caliper does not have long enough arms to reach in there, and where the glass sits is at the bottom of 4 slightly tapered sides.

Steve may know best.

So, it's not the size of the glass that he needs, he needs me to measure (in millimeters of inches) the spot where the ground glass sits. Randy, as far as I know, Sinar lumped all their F cameras in one manual, so the size of the F would probably also work. Steve thinks the correct size is 100x127mm.

macandal
6-May-2014, 10:33
I just tried to measure that. But my vernier caliper does not have long enough arms to reach in there, and where the glass sits is at the bottom of 4 slightly tapered sides.

Steve may know best.Thanks Randy.