PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 545 and Wanderlust camera

Fred L
4-May-2014, 07:08
With the New55 Project a go and the run on 545 holders begun, I've seen references to which will work, indeed Wanderlust's FAQ mentions this, but I don't see much difference between the older 545 (black with printed instructions on the body)and 545i. I've measured both holders and the measurements appear identical (thickness and width). I've sent an email to Wanderlust asking about this so will post any info I hear.

I know there's a much older 545 with a grey/tan body and was wondering if that's the one they're referring to.

Tracy Storer
4-May-2014, 08:49
Nope. The older black and beige holder is the model 500. While a lot of people continued using them, they use has been "not recommended" for a long time. I don't remember if there was an issue with one or the other with the Wanderlust. I don't have a metal 545 in front of me at the moment, but I seem to remember them being thicker.

Paul Cunningham
4-May-2014, 09:43
Wanderlust has told me that neither the standard 545 nor the Fuji QuickLoad fit the Travelwide well. There is a possibility to use the QuickLoad, using rubber bands or such, but it does not fit well under the spring clip.

Fred L
4-May-2014, 11:36
I need a micrometer ;)

Kuzano
11-May-2014, 13:51
I plan to use the Kodak Readyload... last model... Professional with the previous problems worked out and the spring loaded pressure plate, and the grooves for Graflok.... Those last two items ONLY came out on the Professional model with the big RED release button, as far as I have determined.

However, I do not intend to compromise the integrity of the steel spring back holders by trying to get the Readyload (or any variation of the Quickload) under those springs. It will not be difficult for determine some other "hash and cobble" method if it suits the purpose and does no damage to my Travelwide in any way.

I have been modding cameras for years, and there is always a way.

My first item to look for on any film holder is to make sure it has the grooves in the sides for Graflok tabs to slide into them. Once there, the back is infinitely more flexible in finding mounting methods.

Those Polaroid backs you are comparing may differ in that respect (Slots for Graflok tabs vs no slots). The ones with no slots would be of no interest to me.

The only Readyload holder back that introduced the slots was that last model.... the Professional. Fuji Quickload holders had them for the last 2-3 iterations of the holders.

I'm working on a way to reload Quickload/Readyload packets. Almost have it figured out. It involves a very thin flexible stainless or perhaps mylar sheet to mount the film on in a darkbag. Then I can use all my 4X5 cut sheet film in Quickload style envelopes.

Sorry about debarking from the Polaroid film discussion.... never liked that stuff when Polaroid was still making it. I can certainly wait to see what comes of these Impossible Project and New55 projects produce. If I wanted an instant product, there's always digital?????

Fred L
14-May-2014, 14:57
heard back from Ben and am posting, with his permission, the answer to my query.

"They’re very similar holders, but the 545 has metal tabs near the larger “grip” area of the holder, which protrude slightly and prevent the holder from seating completely."

Guess I'll be looking to see if these tabs can be filed down a bit. Haven't ordered a Wanderlust yet however :)

Weihan
14-May-2014, 22:54
The problem I have with Travelwide is there is no place to buy this camera. Maybe Cambo Wide is the better solution, but more expensive.

pierre506
15-May-2014, 00:53
How about the old Polaroid 500 holder to Wanderlust?

Mark Sampson
15-May-2014, 10:10
The 500 holder is useless, it won't work consistently with modern films. The 545 is bad enough in that regard.

Tracy Storer
15-May-2014, 11:19
The Travelwide is coming in to existence as the result of a Kickstarter project. If you backed the project to the appropriate amount, you would have a camera coming to you as soon as they are done. Further, there is a "pre-order" option on the Wanderlust website so you can be first in line to buy one after the Kickstarter rewards are served.

The problem I have with Travelwide is there is no place to buy this camera. Maybe Cambo Wide is the better solution, but more expensive.

OK, I just clicked the link for the pre-order site and it defaulted to the main page......email Wanderlust or wait until the next production run. Lots of products "suffer" from their popularity exceeding production capability.

Weihan
15-May-2014, 14:08
Thank you Tracy. I had the same problem with the website that you mentioned with pre-order procedure. I could see the pre-order button for 1 second and then it disappeared. Maybe they can no longer take orders. Thanks again!

Trevor Whitaker
15-May-2014, 14:56
Perhaps its the browser you're using? I'm able to see and click on the pre-order button just fine using Google Chrome.

Weihan
15-May-2014, 16:06
Hmmm. Thanks for letting me know. That's very strange though because I'm using Chrome as well but I see the pre-order button for only a split second before it disappears, and the one of the previous contributors seems to have the same problem I'm experiencing too. I don't get it.

Roger Thoms
15-May-2014, 21:08

Here the web address for the Travelwide preorder site. https://wanderlustcameras.com

And if you haven't found it yet here is a thread that tells all about it. It a long thread as was started well before the kickstarter campaign. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86921-Wanderlust-4x5-P-amp-S

Roger

Weihan
15-May-2014, 21:48
Here the web address for the Travelwide preorder site. https://wanderlustcameras.com

And if you haven't found it yet here is a thread that tells all about it. It a long thread as was started well before the kickstarter campaign. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86921-Wanderlust-4x5-P-amp-S

Roger
This is the site I have visited several times, but there is no option for pre-order there, at least not with browsers I have (Chrome + Firefox). Also no option to send a payment for pre-order by postal system. Perhaps they are simply no longer taking orders for this camera. Too bad because I think many people might like to try it. It looks very light, with similar construction material to Walker Titan XL.
THANKS, too!

Roger Thoms
16-May-2014, 23:52
Ben just posted this, see #1393. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86921-Wanderlust-4x5-P-amp-S/page140

Hope this helps.

Roger