PDA

View Full Version : 6x15 panorama field camera?

Darin Cozine
14-Oct-2004, 10:21
Check out ebay item # 3844884384

What a gorgeous view camera!

My question is though, what film is available for this format? It looks like the camera includes a plate holder. Is there anyone who will make a film holder for it?

Ernest Purdum
14-Oct-2004, 12:01
I looked at that yesterday, so I'm going a little by memory. Since there is a plate holder, it should be feasible to make film adapters for it. It's a job for a sheet-metal shop (a lot cheaper than machine-shop work by the way) They should be made of very thin metal with the edges folded to hold the film. Since the film plane would be a little back from the original plate position, the groundglass distance should be checked and shimmed to match. The use of adapters like this was once a standard practice. In Japan, it was still routine into the 1970's. There are chemical treatments that will make them flat black and provide some corrosion protection. Gunsmiths know about these treatments. T

I haven't heard of anyone making 6X15cm holders, but I suppose somebody would as a (costly) custom job.

You would need another adapter, one to fit into the turntable to attach a modern tripod to. If the adapter were made with a hat-shaped cross section, the camera could be closed with a lens in place.

Ernest Purdum
14-Oct-2004, 12:27
I just went back and took a better look at the camera. It looks like it is a 6"X15", rather than 6X15cm size. I notice that the groundglass appears to have guide lines for several smaller formats, so quite likely it has, or has had, some film adapters in various sizes. (Plate size reducing "kits" are another possibility. If I were interested, even though the time is short, I'd still try questions asking if there is more than one holder and whether or not adapters or kits are included.

6"x15" would be a rather awkward size in terms of film availability. Maybe it could be worked out to take one-half 11"x14".

Although these cameras are somewhat limited in regards movements, they have enough for most landscape work. This one appears to be a triple extension model with the "wide angle movement", meaning that the back can be moved forward on the bed. This combination gives a really good range of focal lengths accommodated.

Good luck if you decide to bid.

Darin Cozine
14-Oct-2004, 14:21
Yes it is a 6x15 inch. I imagine it is very close to a 7x17 inch format. Your idea of cutting a 11x14 sheet in half is great!

Jim Galli
14-Oct-2004, 15:52
I would confirm with the seller that the "film" holder is for film. My bet is that it is made for glass plate. Which we may be back to soon anyway. I have a similar era Japanese pre-WWII 13X18cm camera with 6 holders...all glass plate. I don't think film got to Japan until post wwII. Their technology stalled in the late 1800's when they became fiercely independent.