PDA

View Full Version : Condenser head for Zone VI Type II 5x7 enlarger?

Larry Kellogg
1-May-2014, 18:47
Hello,
Well, I have a 5x7 Zone VI Type II enlarger, and it occurs to be that printing with a cold light is not always the best choice for all negatives. If a negative does not have enough density, and high enough contrast, the prints can be horribly flat.

So, I would like to get some kind of condenser head for my enlarger so that I have more options when printing my 5x7 negatives. I mainly print 4x5 or 5x7 with the enlarger, and use a Leitz V35 for my 35mm work.

I had read somewhere that there was a Beseler/Zone VI adapter plate that would allow me to mount a Beseler head on my Zone VI but I have not been able to find one of those.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry

Tin Can
1-May-2014, 19:01
I have been thinking of adapting Beseler CB7 condenser head to 5X7. It's head is bigger than most 4x5 heads including the Beseler MX.

Perhaps cutting the round hole to 5x7 rectangular as it nearly 7" diameter now.

Larry Kellogg
1-May-2014, 22:57
Hey Randy,
Let me know how that goes. Would it go on your Elwood? I worry about how much weight to put on my negative stage. Any thoughts on that?

I wish I had room for another enlarger but I don't.

Larry

Larry Kellogg
2-May-2014, 06:24
By the way, I shot an email to Glenn at Glennview to see if he knows whether or not the CB7 can be adapted for 5x7.

Larry

Larry Kellogg
2-May-2014, 09:27
And Glenn does not recommend such a modification.... no explanation...

Larry

Tin Can
2-May-2014, 10:54
He is a man of few words.

Most likely not for many people, but it will work for what I want.

I may get to it next winter.

And Glenn does not recommend such a modification.... no explanation...

Larry

Larry Kellogg
3-May-2014, 03:55
Let me know if it works. Glenn may be a man of few words, but he is good at documenting! Great website.

I guess there is no easy condenser solution for my Zone VI. Bummer. I can use other people's 8x10 enlargers but it would be nice to have that solution in my little space. I have no room for a floor standing 5x7 or 8x10.

Anyone else have an idea?

Larry