PDA

View Full Version : Wista SP 4x5 - what is the best type of tripod head?

innerlight
1-May-2014, 05:04
I've just received a Wista SP.

It came with a complete Linhof quick release plate kit which looks a bit 'iffy' in the sense that there is no positive safety 'lock'

When it comes to stability, ease of use and security, what is the best type of tripod head/release plate system for a camera like this?

I know the answer is subjective, however, I'd like to hear opinions on this matter from people who use 4x5 field cameras.

What's being used out there?

I want a system that gives me complete confidence that once attached to the head, that camera is never coming off unless I deliberately take it off.

vinny
1-May-2014, 05:52
try searching the title of your thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?107820-Best-tripod-head-for-4x5-camera&highlight=tripod+head

Noah A
1-May-2014, 06:13
The best, in my opinion, would be the Linhof 3d Micro geared head. It comes in a version with an Arca-style dovetail and that's the one I use. It's very secure when combined with a proper QR plate from Really Right Stuff. I've heard good things about the Arca Swiss Cube too, but I've never tried one.

If those are not in the budget, the Manfrotto 410 is also a nice geared head. It's also very secure and reliable, but not as solid or precise as the Linhof or the Arca Cube. (The 410 is still very good, it's just that the expensive Linhofs and Arcas really are very, very good.)

Another great option is a used Linhof 3-way head, the 3663. You can find them here or on ebay from time to time for reasonable prices. It's extremely solid, but it doesn't have an integral QR system like the newer Linhof heads do. Of course that may be a benefit depending on your preferences.

Bob Salomon
1-May-2014, 06:19
"It came with a complete Linhof quick release plate kit which looks a bit 'iffy' in the sense that there is no positive safety 'lock' "

Actually it does. The slide in Allen key. Slide it out and rotate it by one face of the key and slide it back in. If you have the Linhof Quickfix with the red lever (the old version) rather then the silver lever (the newer versions) then the key now holds the lever from being moved. If yours has the silver lever which is between the plate and the base instead on beneath the base then you may need another position of the Allen key.

In any case, properly mounted on the head the lever should face either the front or the side of the camera so that you can't accidentally swing it open. And it takes a long stroke to accidentally open a Quickfix. In all of the decades that we have been selling it I can't remember a complaint of accidental opening of the base. And we have sold an awful lot of them in that time!

Now, what do you mean by a "complete" kit? A Quickfix consists of a base, a plate and an Allen key. Did you get more then that?

AJ Edmondson
1-May-2014, 07:52
I prefer the Manfrotto 410 (with a Berlebach) with the SP... it locks securely, isn't too heavy and (I find) is convenient.

Joel

mike rosenlof
1-May-2014, 08:18
The SP is small enough that I'm happy with a sturdy ballhead. I have an old Cambo head that works well. Any decent sturdy head is fine. I like the Arca Swiss style clamps.

innerlight
1-May-2014, 08:19
Hi Bob,

Thanks for this very detailed and helpful info.....I have the Quickfix (with the red lever) base and plate but didn't know about the Allen key lock....many thanks

what would you recommend for a head to mount this on?

innerlight
1-May-2014, 08:19
Thanks Vinny....very helpful posts

Bob Salomon
1-May-2014, 09:28
Hi Bob,

Thanks for this very detailed and helpful info.....I have the Quickfix (with the red lever) base and plate but didn't know about the Allen key lock....many thanks

what would you recommend for a head to mount this on?

What someone mentioned earlier, the 003663 3-Way Linhof Leveling head. That is what John Sexton has on his 57 Technika and 45 Technika 2000. It will easily hold your SP.