PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and prepping 5x7 & 8x10 wooden holders

dimento
1-May-2014, 01:27
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes.

I have a small number of wooden 8x10 & 5x7 holders which I've never used, but plan to use shortly for an arts festival shoot.
The 8x10 are in better condition than the 5x7 and I had thought I'd have time to replace the 5x7 before needing them for shoots but that
looks not to be the case.

Obviously I'll be testing them for light-tightness before a 'proper' shoot, but I need to clean and re-tape them, especially the 5x7
so

1. Is it standard book binding tape that's used, I'm assuming Gaffa tape is too thick/stiff
2. In terms of cleaning the slides and grooves, is a small amount of lighter fuel safe, someone on another forum mentioned using furniture polish on a cotton bud to clean the grooves
3. Is stiffness of sliding the darkslide normal for olden wooden holders or just a product of needing a clean.
4. I also have some plastic 8x10 holders I'll need to clean, so recommendations for products for those would be appreciated also.

Thanks, D

Ken Lee
1-May-2014, 01:45
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?78822-Wax-to-fix-old-stiff-film-holders

dimento
1-May-2014, 02:07
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?78822-Wax-to-fix-old-stiff-film-holders very helpful Ken, thanks, I should have enquired in my original post whether there was an existing thread, thanks, D

dimento
1-May-2014, 04:12
thanks Ken for directing me to that thread, Renaissance wax ordered for the film holders, will hopefully give them a new lease of life

John Koehrer
6-May-2014, 11:59
Bookbinding tape seems to be what's used in many originally. Gaffers tape is thicker and the adhesive will loosen in time.

John Kasaian
6-May-2014, 12:12
The micro attachmenst for a mini Shop Vac is your friend. A little wax will help lubricate the dark slides on both wood and plastic holders. Book binders tape is best, Gaffer's will work if you're in a jam. I'd use compressed air before trying to stick anything into the grooves.