PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F2 vs. Cambo Legend

AJB
13-Oct-2004, 19:08
Good evening. I am new to LF and wanted opinions on the Sinar F2 and the Cambo Legend 4X5 view cameras. I have the opportunity to purchase either of these two systems at a similar cost. Both are in excellent shape. I would like to know which of these would be a better buy, a better overall camera and which would be easiest to learn on. Thanks for your suggestions...

AJB.

Rick Heitman
13-Oct-2004, 21:10
AJB, if you are in the states ,please email me so we can talk before you buy. I cannot offer items on here, but believe me , you will want to chat a minute. Thanks, Rick

AJB
14-Oct-2004, 09:54
Anyone else have any opinions or suggestions?

Gem Singer
14-Oct-2004, 11:23
Hi AJB,

You mentioned in previous posts that you were using a Sinar F2 for copying art work in the studio. Therefore, I suggest that you get the Sinar, instead of the Cambo. Both are excellent monorail studio cameras, with a wide range of available accessories. However, since you are already familiar with the operation of the Sinar, it would probably be the easiest of the two to continue learning on.

David Karp
14-Oct-2004, 11:30
AJB,
From what I know of these two cameras, never having actually owned either of them, your choice might be based on how you want to use the camera.

The Legend is designed as a studio monorail. I think it is a pretty heavy camera, well built and solid. The F2 is a more portable monorail, that could be used in both the studio and in the field for architecture, etc. A Legend could be used in the same way, it is just heavier. (Studio cameras are fine for architecture - I have a friend who used to photograph architecture with a Sinar P2, for example.) Some photographers backpack with a Sinar F2. I think it would be pretty tough to backpack with a Legend.

I have not owned a Legend, but have two different Cambo cameras. Both are well made.

If you want a more portable, the F2 might be a better bet, as long as they are in comparable condition. If you are going to work in the studio, then it might go the other way. Hopefully an F2 owner can chime in here to give you some first hand experience.

There is a review of the Legend at: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/legend.html

and some notes on the F2 at: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/sinar.html#comparison.

Good luck.