PDA

View Full Version : screw drivers for shutter aperture scale

Songyun
30-Apr-2014, 17:35
Where can I find the screw driver for the little screw on the aperture scale on shutter? It is quite wide.

Leigh
30-Apr-2014, 17:44
Try McMaster-Carr Supply Co at www.mcmaster.com

They have a huge selection of screwdrivers.
You'll find the main link to them about 2/3 of the way down the main index page.

- Leigh

Songyun
30-Apr-2014, 18:27
What size should I pick?
For the screwdrivers that I have, if the slot width matches, the width of the screwdriver head is much smaller than the screw head diameter.

Leigh
30-Apr-2014, 18:38
The thickness of the blade is more critical than its width. If it fills the slot, it should work fine.

If possible, get a driver with the tip ground parallel.
These are often used for working on firearms, so you may find them called "gunsmith" screwdrivers.

- Leigh

Jim Jones
30-Apr-2014, 19:16
Hardware stores and even some dollar stores have sets of jeweler's screwdrivers. The blades on many inexpensive screwdrivers are too thick, and have to be ground or filed down. As Leigh says, try to keep the flat sides of the blade as parallel as possible.

John Kasaian
30-Apr-2014, 19:27
I have a set of Craftsman Precision screwdrivers----Check Sears and Roebuck. Wiha (German) also makes very fine precision screwdrivers. You can take your part to any good, real hardware store (not a big box) and they should be able to fix you up.

c.d.ewen
30-Apr-2014, 20:09
I've gotten some nice Wiha screwdrivers from Micro-Tools (http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-12/Screwdrivers.aspx), but they seem to be out of stock on most of the kits. You see what exists at their website, and shop for them elsewhere.

As Leigh mentions, McMaster-Carr has anything you want, and ships from New Jersey. You get your order the next day.

Charley

jbenedict
30-Apr-2014, 20:12
I have a set of Craftsman Precision screwdrivers----Check Sears and Roebuck. Wiha (German) also makes very fine precision screwdrivers. You can take your part to any good, real hardware store (not a big box) and they should be able to fix you up.

+1 on the Craftsman Precision Screwdrivers. I have a set of those. As I remember, there are four sizes of straight, Phillips and Torx. If you play with electronic stuff, inevitably you will need some little Torx drivers.

Songyun
30-Apr-2014, 20:28
I just ordered wiha screw driver with the hollow ground type. I hope the 1.5mm slot screwdriver to fit.

Bob Salomon
1-May-2014, 02:23
We use a set of Starret jewelers screw drivers.

Songyun
3-May-2014, 05:01
So I got one from wiha with hollow ground type, 1.5mm wide. It works perfect. Thanks everyone.