PDA

View Full Version : Folmer & Schwing 7x17 Banquet Camera Lens Board Dimensions

windij
28-Apr-2014, 10:32
I'm attempting to make some lens boards for my F&S 7x17 but I don't have a board to copy from. It appears to be a 5x5" opening. What I don't know is the total board thickness, light trap depth and beam, etc. If anyone has these measurements it would be a great help. Better yet maybe someone wants to sell me a board to copy from?:)

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Louis Pacilla
28-Apr-2014, 14:21
I'm attempting to make some lens boards for my F&S 7x17 but I don't have a board to copy from. It appears to be a 5x5" opening. What I don't know is the total board thickness, light trap depth and beam, etc. If anyone has these measurements it would be a great help. Better yet maybe someone wants to sell me a board to copy from?:)

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Hey Jason

I'm not at home at this time so I can't get actual measurements until tomorrow but I own a pair of F&S's 7x17's so I know this and it's kind of important.The lens board light trap (interior part of the board) must be under an 1/8th of an inch in thickness or you'll not be able to use much of the rise. It will hit the horizontal support in the camera. So make sure you keep it under an 1/8th of an inch. The camera was designed to be used with the wide angle lenses of the day say like a Protar Series IVs or Vs and alike lenses because anything sticking out past the lens board light trap will hit the horizontal support & you'll NOT be able to use a good bit of the rise.You will still have about a 1/2 of the rise at your disposal which is usually enough with IC and all but be aware .

I use lenses like 12"& 16 1/2" Dagors 10 1/2", 12" & 15" T&R's 305 &355 G Clarons and others all which have rear barrel extensions & block some of the rise. Every once in awhile it piss's me off but not often.:)

windij
28-Apr-2014, 15:37
Hey Jason

I'm not at home at this time so I can't get actual measurements until tomorrow but I own a pair of F&S's 7x17's so I know this and it's kind of important.The lens board light trap (interior part of the board) must be under an 1/8th of an inch in thickness or you'll not be able to use much of the rise. It will hit the horizontal support in the camera. So make sure you keep it under an 1/8th of an inch. The camera was designed to be used with the wide angle lenses of the day say like a Protar Series IVs or Vs and alike lenses because anything sticking out past the lens board light trap will hit the horizontal support & you'll NOT be able to use a good bit of the rise.You will still have about a 1/2 of the rise at your disposal which is usually enough with IC and all but be aware .

I use lenses like 12"& 16 1/2" Dagors 10 1/2", 12" & 15" T&R's 305 &355 G Clarons and others all which have rear barrel extensions & block some of the rise. Every once in awhile it piss's me off but not often.:)

Indeed that is an important piece of information! I'll be using the 305 g-claron and a 14" comm ektar (I'm told it covers the format) as my primary lenses so like you my rise will already be limited. I will definitely remember this. Thanks!

photoevangelist
28-Apr-2014, 17:49
Welcome to the club! They are fun cameras!

windij
29-Apr-2014, 11:33
Thanks! Hopefully I can start shooting before the desert heat sets in. If I have to make a lens board out of cardboard and duct tape so be it :-)

windij
30-Apr-2014, 09:34
Anyone? You will have my eternal gratitude if you send me some dimensions. Seriously. Total board thickness, width and depth of bevel for light trap. Otherwise I'll just make an educated guess and proceed with some trial and error.

Thanks,
Jason

karl french
23-Sep-2015, 17:24
Working on this very problem right now. It's an odd sized board. So far it seems 5 x 4 15/16" with a very shallow rabbet. Just under 1/8" deep and approximately the same wide. Trying to avoid the inner frame to get as much front rise as possible. I'll post the final dimensions when I have an acceptable lens board in hand.