PDA

View Full Version : How to mount Nikkor-W 300mm lens on Deardorff board?

bjornaagedk
28-Apr-2014, 08:48
I've bought a Nikkor-W 300mm/5,6 large format lens for my Deardorff 8x10.

The lens came mounted on a Toyo-View lens board, and i screw if off this, to mount it on the Deardorff lens board.
I should have looked before I unmounted the lens, because now i can not figure out how to mount it on the deardorff board.
It looks like the diameter of the hole in the 2 boards are the same.

But the Nikon has a small screw that sticks out and I can't figure out how to put the small ring for distance.

Here are the parts. We have the front and the back lens, and 2 rings, one of them is for making distance (?)
But the little screw gets in the way.

Can someone help? Do I need a special lens board to mount it? I guess the back of the lens should end up sitting flat to the front side of the lens board..

Bjorn

cowanw
28-Apr-2014, 11:10
The little screw is just a means of fixing the lens to a board so that there is no rotation ever after. A small hole is made in the board at the spot the screw touches and the screw just sits there to stop rotation. The screw can be removed if you don't want to mar the board.
Or use the spacer to hold the shutter away from the board.
Which is good because sometimes the levers of the aperture or shutter speed rings touch the board if the spacer is not used. In this case the little screw is superfluous.
The retaining ring comes in from the back of the board and you may have to jiggle the spacer to let the retaining ring settle inside the spacer.
So lens, spacer, board, retaining ring then back element.
The back of the board may need to be counter bored if the back element fouls with the back of the board.

cowanw
28-Apr-2014, 11:14
See this thread
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?113059-Problem-mounting-a-Fujinon-W-300mm-with-copal-3-on-deardorff-6x6-lens-board&highlight=deardorff

koh303
28-Apr-2014, 12:52
The little screw is just a means of fixing the lens to a board so that there is no rotation ever after. A small hole is made in the board at the spot the screw touches and the screw just sits there to stop rotation. The screw can be removed if you don't want to mar the board.
Or use the spacer to hold the shutter away from the board.
Which is good because sometimes the levers of the aperture or shutter speed rings touch the board if the spacer is not used. In this case the little screw is superfluous.
The retaining ring comes in from the back of the board and you may have to jiggle the spacer to let the retaining ring settle inside the spacer.
So lens, spacer, board, retaining ring then back element.
The back of the board may need to be counter bored if the back element fouls with the back of the board.

+1 to all above - or - you can just remove that screw if you want.

bjornaagedk
29-Apr-2014, 02:57
Super. Thank you both for your help. I will try this.
Bjorn