PDA

View Full Version : Versalab Archival Print Washer

Aaron_3437
12-Oct-2004, 04:32
Would appreciate comments on the 11x14 Versalab Archival Print Washer about its ease of use, ease of assembly and effectiveness of the product. Also, can the washer be used to wash sheet films? Many Thanks!

J. P. Mose
12-Oct-2004, 05:54
I wanted let you know they are on sale right now (see Ebay or the Versalab website). I just ordered a 16x20 but haven't received it yet. I have heard nothing but positive feedback on Versalab washers but I will let others go into detail.

Sidney Cammeresi
12-Oct-2004, 05:58
I own one of these. It's great. Very easy to assemble and use. Assembly took maybe 30 minutes. Could use it to wash film, I guess, but I'd be afraid of scratching it.

Michael Mutmansky
12-Oct-2004, 07:02
Aaron,

I recently purchased one in the 16x20 size, and I found it simple to assemble, but the number of parts may be a little intimidating initially. Pull them all out and follow the directions carefully, and it will go together quite easily.

It seems to work quite well, and for the price, I believe that it is a real bargain for people who care about performance more than overall aesthetics. Anyone who has seen my darkroom can understand that this is my approach.

I don't know if it is suitable for film, but I think it may have a bit too much room in the chambers for the film to move around in to be safe. A call to Versalab will giv you a straight answer on this question, however.

---Michael

Tom Perkins
12-Oct-2004, 07:54
I have had one of these for several years and it works fine. I usually wash for about 30-60 minutes, soak for an hour and wash for another 30-60 minutes; not liking to run water for several hours in the desert where I live. I wash 8x10 films in it with no worries. I wouldn't use it for smaller film as the negatives would move around too much. I think there are some "dead" spots in it, and empty it after every use. It is easy to use and clean.

David Karp
12-Oct-2004, 09:04
I have had one almost since they were introduced. It works great. Periodic HT2 testing indicates that it is quite effective. David Vestal did a write up on it in Photo Techniques when they were first introduced and had very good things to say about it.

Assembly is easy, even though there are alot of parts. Basically, you assemble the print basket and insert the hoses. It is time consuming, not difficult.

I would not use it to wash film, unless perhaps you are using 11x14 or 8x10 sheets. Then I would talk to Versalab and see what they say.

Aaron_3437
12-Oct-2004, 09:16
Thank you all for the kind response. I think I'll purchase one since the Versalab is quite affordable. Haven't had a print washer ever since I started printing many years ago. It's been tedious hand-washing those prints. I'll also have a word with Versalab regarding washing of films in it. Thanks again.

Donald Hutton
12-Oct-2004, 09:31
Aaron

I have a 16X20 with the 20X24 basket. I highly recommend the product - as others have mentioned - it works and assembly is easy. For the money, nothing else is really comparable. A really big plus - I have found there customer service to be top notch.

Paul Butzi
12-Oct-2004, 10:10
I own one and like it a lot.

See my review at http://www.butzi.net/reviews/darkroom.htm#Versalab%2011x14%20Print%20Washer

Brian McGuiness
12-Oct-2004, 13:50
I used to have the 8x10 model. Worked great, was inexpensive. Only drawback was the saize compared to a regular 8x10 print washer.

tim atherton
12-Oct-2004, 14:02
Forget the damn print washer - I want this puppy...!

http://www.versalab.com/server/coffee/m3.html

The LF photographers espresso machine :-)

John Kasaian
12-Oct-2004, 14:11
Aaron,

I've got one---works great! As I recall, it was a bit intimidating when I opened up the box---lots of little stainless washers and nylon spacers---but it went together quickly and easily. These are very rugged and when full of water---heavy. I put mine in the yard and water the geraniums and sago palms with the wastewater. I haven't had any snails try to climb aboard yet, but I could see where that might be a problem;-)

I'm not sure if this is an issue, but if you're on a water meter (I'm not)there might be a more "low-flow" washer worth considering. Perhaps someone can tell you what the water consumption is(I lost the paperwork that came with mine.)

I agree that Versalab is excellent when it comes to personalized attention and customer service. I also agree that film 8x10 and larger shouldn't be a problem in the Versalab.(it hasn't been for me anyway) I've never tried it with 4x5 or 5x7 though.

Enjoy it!

Aaron_3437
12-Oct-2004, 16:32
Thanks again. Versalab has replied that films can be washed in their washer. I'll get one! Appreciate the generous feedback from all.

John Bicht
22-Dec-2004, 17:21
Just a note about the thought that there might be a lower flow washer out there. There isn't. Confirmed by a customer some years ago who tested the Ecowash (thought to be less water use) against ours. He found ours better.