View Full Version : Suggestions for 210mm lens in barrel

Randy
26-Apr-2014, 21:35
Looking for lens suggestions:

- multi-coated in barrel
- around 210mm f/4.5 - f/5.6
- lots of aperture blades
- sharp and contrasty

It can be a tad shorter but no less than 190mm as it is for my Graflex Series D 4X5, which will not accommodate anything shorter than 190mm, and I don't want to go much longer than 210mm if possible. I have a 250mm Comercial Astragon (Congo?) but it is f/6.8 and I would rather have something a tad shorter with wider aperture.

I want something sharp and contrasty as what I have now is un-coated.

Am I asking to much? Does such a creature exist?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Apr-2014, 22:07
I don't think you will find all of your four requirements in one lens. Multi-coated and sharp? Get a modern 210mm f5.6 plasmat. I can't say I have seen these in barrel, but you could put it into a barrel or buy one in a Compur which has lots of blades. Multi-coated and f4.5? I don't think any of the Eastern-Bloc Tessars were multicoated nor the Japanese, but single coated and f4.5 (and even f3.5) is relatively easy, look for a Tessar type or a triplet. These won't be really sharp and contrasty at f4.5, but will be fine by f8. Of course, the single-coated 190mm f5.6 Ektars that were sold with the Super Ds were really fine lenses, you could look for one of them...

Oren Grad
26-Apr-2014, 22:40
Of course, the single-coated 190mm f5.6 Ektars that were sold with the Super Ds were really fine lenses, you could look for one of them...

+1

Both the 4x5 and 3.25x4.25 Super D's were offered with Ektars (190 and 152 mm, respectively) in special mount with semi-auto diaphragm which is triggered by the shutter release action of the Super D. That makes it as convenient a lens as you'll find for a Graflex, if you ever want to shoot at less than full aperture.

coisasdavida
27-Apr-2014, 03:03
I believe the Congo 210mm f4.5 is common in barrel. Mine example lost most of its coating and is still sharp.

IanG
27-Apr-2014, 04:05
MWClassic (http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Early_Lenses_160mm_240mm_27.html) in the UK have two 210mm f5.6 Symmar S lens in barrels and they are quite cheap, they have an f4.5 210mm coated Xenar as well.

Ian

Randy
27-Apr-2014, 09:03
Thanks for the input. My camera came with a very nice, probably original, Kodak Anastigmat 7 1/2 f/4.5 lens. Am guessing that is the early Ektar? Sharp yes, but no coating.

I have a 180mm Congo that I really like - single coated - but it is just to short of a F/L to work on the camera.

I do have a G. Leitmeyr Munchen Doppel Anastigmat 210mm f/4.5 that looks to be single coated and probably will satisfy all my desires if I would just let it.

Ian, thanks for the link. I just ordered two lenses from them - the Xenar and a Symmar-S, both 210mm - only problem is, during check out there is no way to pay, so I don't know if I have actually ordered or not. I emailed them with my quandary.

Pete Watkins
27-Apr-2014, 09:55
Beware of MW Classic. They are very prone to mis-describing their products on the bay. I personally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole (quaint old English expression, but you know what I mean).
Look at Repromasters and similar process lenses. G-clarons come to mind as do Escophots.
Pete.

Randy
27-Apr-2014, 10:03
Rats...perhaps good I could not enter my credit card info...?

I have a 213mm Repromaster as a wideangle for my 8X10 but it would be to large on the Graflex. Will keep looking.

IanG
27-Apr-2014, 11:59
Ian, thanks for the link. I just ordered two lenses from them - the Xenar and a Symmar-S, both 210mm - only problem is, during check out there is no way to pay, so I don't know if I have actually ordered or not. I emailed them with my quandary.

You need to call them or send an email their cart software doesn't function when it come to payment

I've bought a few items off Mwclassic (or I wouldn't recommend them) and all have been fine and as described. Pete's right that sometimes their descriptions of more unusual items are wrong but then so are many other sellers not totally familiar with older items where there's little or no information available. This isn't very often though.

Ian

Randy
27-Apr-2014, 13:05
Thanks Ian, I have sent them an email right after I placed the order on their site. Will wait to hear from them.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Apr-2014, 20:20
Make sure those Schneider barrels have a large number of aperture blades. My experience with a similar Schneider barrel (from a G-Claron) is that the aperture is not round.