PDA

View Full Version : In camera lumen print

basiltahan
26-Apr-2014, 05:22

I think I know the answer to this question, but...

When I am making images like this one, the sun literally burns into the gelatin of the paper or film. Since the image circle of the lens is larger than the film, is the rest of the image being projected on the bellows? If I use a lens with 8x10 coverage on a 4x5 camera, wouldn't a big portion of the bellows be covered by an image?

As a side note, wouldn't that (using a lens with a larger image circle) cause a loss of contrast in normal photography? Surely all of the light can not be (absorbed?) by the black bellows?

Thank you.

Oh, C&C on the image is welcome.

Inspired by the work "Sunburn" by Chris McCaw

Joe O'Hara
26-Apr-2014, 07:23
You're quite right about the excess coverage being on the inside of the bellows, and yes, it will tend to fog the
darker areas of the image if the extra image area is bright (e.g., sky).

That is why I use a lens shade on every picture that I make. You can adjust a compendium shade until the
edge of the shade is just out of the image on the ground glass. The inside of the bellows will be nice and
dark then.

basiltahan
26-Apr-2014, 17:24
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will find one to use for these types of shots.

Tin Can
26-Apr-2014, 17:31
Never thought of that. How obvious. Now!

Thank you for a simple explanation.

You're quite right about the excess coverage being on the inside of the bellows, and yes, it will tend to fog the
darker areas of the image if the extra image area is bright (e.g., sky).

That is why I use a lens shade on every picture that I make. You can adjust a compendium shade until the
edge of the shade is just out of the image on the ground glass. The inside of the bellows will be nice and
dark then.