PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Goerz Dagor Series 3 8-1/4" Lens w/ Bausch & Lomb Shutter

axs810
25-Apr-2014, 19:43
Just bought this lens off ebay and had a few questions about the lens/shutter combo.

When I tried screwing my cable release into the shutter the piece it attached to came off (see circled area in picture). It's only held on by a very small screw that doesn't tighten down very well so I figure I can just screw it back in and electrical tape it down. Should this be something I should worry about? I've already contacted the seller because the description on ebay was not accurate...I was told the lens and shutter were cleaned and spotless but when I got it I noticed 3-4 small bubbles in the lens along with some very light hazing. The ebay seller also gave me wrong info about the size hole for the lensboard (off by 10mm)

Anyways hear are my questions for the LF forum-

1) The cable release attachment on the Bausch and Lomb shutter can very easily fall off... should I worry about this or will screwing it back in and putting some electrical tape over it be ok?
2) If the bubbles on the rear element are very small (almost dust like) should I even worry about it? What effect would these have on an image? Should I expect it to be more prone to glare? (the hazing is really light so I'm not worried about it..I'm actually hoping it gives a softening effect in the highlights lol)
3) Was $175 a good deal on this lens or did I over pay considering it's condition?
4) Would it be possible to take the Dagor lens elements and put it into a Copal shutter? If so which Copal # would work with it?

Sorry for all the questions. I just feel weird after the ebay seller was inaccurate with the description... It's just making me debate whether or not I should act fast on the 14 day return or just leave bad feedback and carry on.

goamules
25-Apr-2014, 20:33
Just bought this lens off ebay and had a few questions about the lens/shutter combo.

When I tried screwing my cable release into the shutter the piece it attached to came off (see circled area in picture). It's only held on by a very small screw that doesn't tighten down very well so I figure I can just screw it back in and electrical tape it down. Should this be something I should worry about? I've already contacted the seller because the description on ebay was not accurate...I was told the lens and shutter were cleaned and spotless but when I got it I noticed 3-4 small bubbles in the lens along with some very light hazing. The ebay seller also gave me wrong info about the size hole for the lensboard (off by 10mm)

Anyways hear are my questions for the LF forum-

1) The cable release attachment on the Bausch and Lomb shutter can very easily fall off... should I worry about this or will screwing it back in and putting some electrical tape over it be ok?
2) If the bubbles on the rear element are very small (almost dust like) should I even worry about it? What effect would these have on an image? Should I expect it to be more prone to glare? (the hazing is really light so I'm not worried about it..I'm actually hoping it gives a softening effect in the highlights lol)
3) Was $175 a good deal on this lens or did I over pay considering it's condition?
4) Would it be possible to take the Dagor lens elements and put it into a Copal shutter? If so which Copal # would work with it?

Sorry for all the questions. I just feel weird after the ebay seller was inaccurate with the description... It's just making me debate whether or not I should act fast on the 14 day return or just leave bad feedback and carry on.

Thanks,
Eric Omori

I think you're inaccurate about your expectations. It's a 100 year old lens. Before WWII. Before television. Before people had flown across the Atlantic solo probably. You are worrying about bubbles? Bubbles were a standard feature in ANY lens from this period, they were even advertised as a mark of quality glass. 10mm measurement error when he told you what size hole you'll need? Light haze? A cemented Dagor is the simplest of any lens to unscrew and clean the haze off the one surface it's possible to be on.