PDA

View Full Version : Bellows compatiblity

glpozza
25-Apr-2014, 08:03
I hope it's not a stupid question, but I couldn't find any references to this. My Toyo 45c needs a new bellow. Since I can get a bellow for some others 4x5 for a decent price, could I replace this bellow's frames with the ones from my Toyo and use in my camera? Is the size/format similar with any other brand?

devinephotographic
26-Apr-2014, 05:43
If the bellows are of a similar size, yes it is possible. Just be careful when removing the old bellows from the old frames as they tend to rip. However if they fit nicely on the toyo frames they will work just fine.

glpozza
28-Apr-2014, 06:29
Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Tracy Storer
28-Apr-2014, 09:21
Some Toyo (and older Omega/Omega-Toyo) cameras had interchangeable bellows, some had the bellows glued directly to the standards.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2014, 10:09
I don't know about your Toyo, but Cambo 4x5 bellows are easily adapted to many cameras as the frames are flat and wide. Dremel work can adjust them if necessary, and they are plentiful.

glpozza
29-Apr-2014, 06:34
Hello Tracy, my 45c has interchangeable bellows, I believe the 45cx has it glued.
Randy, thank you for the information, I'll look for a cambo bellows.

Louis Pacilla
29-Apr-2014, 07:52
Hello Tracy, my 45c has interchangeable bellows, I believe the 45cx has it glued.
Randy, thank you for the information, I'll look for a cambo bellows.

The 45cx has interchangeable bellows as well as the 45c. I know the Toyo 45e and maybe the 45d had glued bellows.

Doremus Scudder
30-Apr-2014, 01:41
Sheesh, if your 45c has interchangeable bellows, just get a factory replacement. You can likely pick up one used on eBay or somewhere for less than new cost. Then it would just clip right in with no time spent adapting it. Plus it would fold up as designed, since it would be exactly the right size.

To paraphrase: "Buy the right part and cry once."

Best,

Doremus

glpozza
30-Apr-2014, 06:49
Doremus, unwillingly I will have to agree. The price diference isn't worth the trouble.
Louis. Is it possible toyo made versions of the same model? I saw a post somewere else (can't find it now) of an 45cx user saying his bellows were glued.

Francisco J. Fernández
30-Apr-2014, 21:06
If the bellows are of a similar size, yes it is possible. Just be careful when removing the old bellows from the old frames as they tend to rip. However if they fit nicely on the toyo frames they will work just fine.

hello.
I used a 8x10 Cambo bellows, stuck in a frame for 8x10 Linhof bellows.

was much cheaper, and it works perfectly.

recently, I used Fuji 6x8 bellows to make my 6x9 format cameras.

and I've also cut and I used bellows for Sinar and Cambo cameras to make my 4x5.

some years ago, design and fabricate for my cameras. need to weigh very little.

Heroique
30-Apr-2014, 22:03
My Toyo 45c needs a new bellows...

Here's some compatibility info that might help.

Your Toyo 45C bellows (158mm square, standard or bag bellows) are compatible with Toyo's 45GII and 45GX cameras – but not the 45CX.

If you want to see what 45C bag bellows look like, see my recent post in the for sale forum – specifically, my listing for Toyo bag bellows + recessed board. The images will give you a good idea about what the 158mm square frames generally look like.

Doremus Scudder
1-May-2014, 03:39
There you are! Look for 45GII or 45GX bellows in addition to the 45c. Something should turn up if you are patient.

FWIW there's a nice thread on bellows repair here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96202-Successful-Bellows-Repair! , which might help tide things over.

Best,

Doremus

glpozza
2-May-2014, 20:51
Thank you all for the information. Until I get it replaced... to wrap the bellows with an opaque fabric usually works?