PDA

View Full Version : replacement for sponge cloth for wiping drying film

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 07:50
For years I used sponge cloths to gently wipe films and have never had problems with scratches or drying marks. The cloths which I can get now locally are not very absorbent and the texture grips the film a little too much when wiping
meaning I either scratch the film or leave drying marks because the moisture isnt being wiped off sufficiently.

This question is probably best directed to Uk/Ireland members because of availability of product. What do you use to wipe film (mostly 4x5 and 8x10) at the moment. The old sponge cloths I used had a more open texture, will a 'decorators sponge' which has very porous texture, be ok?

thanks

D

ROL
24-Apr-2014, 08:11
What do you use to wipe film (mostly 4x5 and 8x10) at the moment.

None. No intent to dishonor your question – not being a wiping limey, but I didn't realize many people wiped sheet film. Are you sure you need to? If not, your problem is solved.

Jim Noel
24-Apr-2014, 08:29
I have never wiped sheet film of any size. A full minute of agitation in LFN, then hanging by a corner with a dental clip and I don't have water marks or streaks. Notice the Edwal LFN, not Photo flo. With Photo Flo I had trouble with streaking.

Drew Wiley
24-Apr-2014, 08:40
The best thing ever made was the the Kodak true chamois film wiping cloth. Something far better than that is to not wipe it at all !

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 08:45
I'm using photo-flo and without wiping I always get watermarks, maybe it's partly the water here, what is Edwal LFN? sounds too exotic for the tiny Irish market

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 08:46
I have never wiped sheet film of any size. A full minute of agitation in LFN, then hanging by a corner with a dental clip and I don't have water marks or streaks. Notice the Edwal LFN, not Photo flo. With Photo Flo I had trouble with streaking.
dental clips? sounds interesting I'm using sock hangers at present which are a little hit and miss and pretty prone to breakage

ROL
24-Apr-2014, 09:01
I'm using photo-flo and without wiping I always get watermarks, maybe it's partly the water here, what is Edwal LFN? sounds too exotic for the tiny Irish market

FTR, I don't use photo-flo on sheet film. A final distilled water rinse after washing, then hang to dry by corners:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/DarkroomPix/DR%20-%20Hanging%20Sheet%20Film.jpg

Drew Wiley
24-Apr-2014, 09:15
After washing the film, I do a brief rinse of the sheets one at a time in a little tray of distilled water with a pinch or Photoflo (or equivalent) added. Then hang the
sheet from a line using wooden clothespins. No streaks.

Pete Watkins
24-Apr-2014, 23:57
I'll go along with ROL. After the final wash in tap water I rinse each sheet in de-ionised water and using plastic clothes pegs hang each sheet by one corner to dry . I have a small fan heater on the floor and a built in extractor fan running and stuff dries very quickly.
Pete

RandyB
27-Apr-2014, 15:38
The debate over wiping film has raged for decades and will continue for many more. The best way for you to decide is to try each way and then settle on the one you are happiest with. Personally I have always for the past 45 years squeegeed my film, all sizes, all types. I've tried several ways of squeegeing, (rubber squeege, chamois, photo sponge, running the film thru 2 wet fingers) and finally about 20 years ago settled on the Yankee sponge wiper squeegee. I make sure to wet the sponge at the beginning of my developing cycle so that by the time I need it it is good and soft. On the Yankee wiper I cut the nibs of plastic at the end corners cause they can get very close to the sheet film as the plastic ages and starts to curl a little.
At one time I did try not squeegeeing my film and it did work BUT many, many times I had drying streaks on a few frames. My film dries very quickly, I use a drying cabinet that I made. It has a heat source (60w light) at the bottom and a very small fan at the top pulling the filtered air up thur the cabinet. I set the timer for about 30 minutes then go have a snack. When I come back the film is DRY.

Rafal Lukawiecki
27-Apr-2014, 16:30
Ilford Ilfotol 1:200 with tap filtered Co Wicklow water, then hang by corners, no wiping.