PDA

View Full Version : safe stain and varnish for a lensboard?

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 03:16
Hey guys, bought a lensboard for a C1 from an ebay seller, had to sand it to fit. This resulted in some of the black stain coming off, what would be a safe combo of black stain and varnish to use on it?

I'm presuming I need something without too many volatiles,

types not brands would be great as I'm in Ireland and prob wouldn't be able to get eact matches, thanks, D

jose angel
24-Apr-2014, 03:55
Any quality outdoor synthetic enamel will work, I guess (heat and UV resistant, like those used on metal fences, windows, cars, etc).

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 05:40
Any quality outdoor synthetic enamel will work, I guess (heat and UV resistant, like those used on metal fences, windows, cars, etc). great thanks, local DIY aren't great. Don't need hobby or craft paint then?

jose angel
24-Apr-2014, 06:28
Actually, I have my homemade lens boards (and other parts) painted with Humbrol enamel for model crafts (black matte); they smells forever, and I don`t find it to be specially good.
The black matte finish is still a bit reflective, definitely not as non reflective as the original camera parts, but it works. Maybe, the advantage of using this paint is because it`s relatively thin, while non-hobby synthetic enamels look thicker (denser). But you can dilute any of them up to limit (I actually use the Humbrol diluted a bit). The abrasion resistance is low, just use it a couple times and will start to wear, and the matte finish is easy to mark, e.g., with a nail.

What I`m not sure is about the UV and heat resistance of these. In summer, all that painted things smell; so I always think next time I`ll try with a non-hobby quality synthetic enamel (the ones sold in hardware stores). I have painted windows and fences with with them, and looks to be much better.

Anyway, I don`t overthink this things too much. I use to take the can I have at hand.

vinny
24-Apr-2014, 06:37
Marks-A-lot

Richard Wasserman
24-Apr-2014, 08:12
Black shoe polish

Pete Watkins
24-Apr-2014, 08:27
I use cellulose car paints, mainly because they dry quickly.
I'm probably using totally the wrong stuff but at one time I had a few red boards to match the B&J's red bellows, I need to see somebody.
Pete.

Tin Can
24-Apr-2014, 09:27
I use 50mm wide permanent markers for any blackening. Cheap, fast, covers well and is non-reflective. It applies as ink and has nearly no thickness. Touch up is easy. I have covered vast areas of ULF and smaller with these great markers. There are meant for art and signage. Is graffiti art?

I use this one, when I can find it. http://www.amazon.com/Kuretake-Posterman-BIGGIE-50MM-Marker/dp/B0094L3JAE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398356771&sr=8-4&keywords=50mm+marker

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2014, 10:09
Anything that isn't lead based. That is for your safety and not the camera's or the lens. It really makes no difference once it is dry.

Amedeus
24-Apr-2014, 10:19
I use black board or chalk board paint ...

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 10:36
I use cellulose car paints, mainly because they dry quickly.
I'm probably using totally the wrong stuff but at one time I had a few red boards to match the B&J's red bellows, I need to see somebody.
Pete.

that's gas, red lensboards

dimento
24-Apr-2014, 10:37
I use black board or chalk board paint ...
hadn't thought of that, good suggestion

mihag
24-Apr-2014, 10:46
Tetenal Camera Varnish Spray, available in 200 ml cans, # 105202 http://www.tetenal.com/imaging_shop/images/00000658.pdf

joselsgil
27-Apr-2014, 17:19
I just use latex enamel flat black paint. I purchased it at my local hardware store, Lowe's, here in Southern California. It is their line of paints, Valspar indoor/exterior paint. It is made for wood, metal and more.

I'm sure you can find something similar in Ireland.

mdarnton
27-Apr-2014, 17:36
India ink, followed by shellac and steel wool in line with the grain the next day, after it's dry, looks real nice, and is totally safe.

Jac@stafford.net
27-Apr-2014, 20:13
Best flat black paint is Testors Flat black spray. http://www.testors.com/products/573133

Better than that is black flocking paper. It's like a black hole. http://www.edmundoptics.com/lab-production/general-tools/light-absorbing-black-out-material/1502