PDA

View Full Version : Camera of the Century!

Brassai
23-Apr-2014, 18:46
I have an early 1890s Watson & Sons half plate tailboard, but I just never really "clicked" with it. So, it has to go. I've been looking for a nice ~100 yr. old 4x5 for some time now, mostly looking for something like a Korona or Ansco wooden view camera. I wanted something correct for 1900-1920 to use my growing lens collection on. I was dismissive of the "cycle" cameras because they didn't take interchangeable lenses and the self-casing design just didn't get me excited. All that changed when I saw a nearly mint Century Camera Model 46 for sale on ebay. I went after it, and ended up getting it. I paid about $400, which is probably completely nuts, but it is so clean! It finally came a week later and I was bracing a little bit for it to not live up to expectations, but that changed when I saw it for the first time. It is a beauty!

I took it out and shot with it last Saturday, mostly at an abandoned prairie school in a tiny South Dakota town. I was amazed at what a nice little camera this is! It's very well made and has a lot of cool little extras. It has double extension, gear driven focus, gear driven rise/fall, revolving back, and much more. It was a very fun camera to use and I now have a lot of respect for it.

It came with a 6 inch RR lens in a CCC automatic shutter, a double pumper. Lens & shutter look immaculate and the shutter works well at speeds 1/50s and 1/100s, and T. It sticks at the slower speeds, but I think I can fix it. Here's where I need your help. I'd like to take the lens off and give it a good going over. I'm pretty sure I can get the shutter going again if I clean it. I was also thinking of replacing it with a 6 in. Velostigmat in a very snazzy Volute I picked up for about a hundred bucks. I cleaned the cylinders on the Volute and it seems to work perfectly! I got to looking at it though, and the Volute might be too big to fit into the CC 46 though. I might have to buy a Korona view camera after all. Anyway, how can I take the lens off the CC 46 without damaging it? The bellows are tight and I don't know if I can reach in from the rear and get at the retaining nut. Not much space up in there. Dang, this is a sweet little camera!

goamules
23-Apr-2014, 18:55
The Century Grands are very nice. I have a 5x7 and 4x5. You remove the lens by pulling the lensboard off. You do that by lifting up, then the lower lip clears the lower brass band.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?81517-Gonna-make-my-old-Century-Grand-Senior-work!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6032563795_2bca3723e6_z.jpg

Brassai
24-Apr-2014, 15:03
No one has any ideas on how to get the lens off for cleaning?

Another question. On top of the lens board of both mine and Garrett's cameras, there is a brass "peg" of some kind. Top center, behind the shutter dial on mine. What is this for?

dsphotog
24-Apr-2014, 15:58
The peg locks the lens board in place..... Unscrew it (the peg)- (counterclockwise) then slide the lens board up to clear the bottom brass retaining strip, to remove.

Handsome camera!
Does it take standard film holders?
Happy shooting!

Brassai
24-Apr-2014, 19:47
Handsome camera!
Does it take standard film holders?
Happy shooting!

YES! Standard holders. It looks great with my older wooden Graflex DS holders. That's one of the reasons I bought it--takes 4x5 film (instead of 3x5 or 5x7) and standard holders. Unlike the half plate camera, I only have to load one set of film holders and I can choose to use my Chamonix or the Century and just grab my pouch of loaded holders.

dsphotog
24-Apr-2014, 20:05
It was quite the camera to have in the early 1900's....
I bet nobody dreamed the next century would bring cameras that don't even use film.

goamules
25-Apr-2014, 10:07
No one has any ideas on how to get the lens off for cleaning?

Another question. On top of the lens board of both mine and Garrett's cameras, there is a brass "peg" of some kind. Top center, behind the shutter dial on mine. What is this for?

Yes, I posted how. Didn't you read my earlier post? But don't know about the Peg, my board is spring loaded. You just lift the board, against an internal spring pressure, and lever out the bottom.

The peg locks the lens board in place..... Unscrew it (the peg)- (counterclockwise) then slide the lens board up to clear the bottom brass retaining strip, to remove.

Again, not on mine. The brass peg/knob is just to hold the front standard when you are rising/falling it, I belive. I.E., it's just a handle, you don't unscrew it.

Brassai
25-Apr-2014, 15:49
Yes, I posted how. Didn't you read my earlier post? But don't know about the Peg, my board is spring loaded. You just lift the board, against an internal spring pressure, and lever out the bottom.

Again, not on mine. The brass peg/knob is just to hold the front standard when you are rising/falling it, I belive. I.E., it's just a handle, you don't unscrew it.

Oh wow, that was easy! This is really a very well thought out and engineered camera! It's sort of like a wooden Leica, LOL. The little brass knob on the top of lens board on mine does not rotate either, and it does just seem to be a handle.

I read the other thread, and the GG is reversed on this camera as well, i.e. frosted side faces outward, away from lens. Should I reverse it? Haven't got my shots back yet to check focus.

It's looking like the Volute/Velostigmat is going to be too big to fit this camera. Dang. I might look for anothe lens/shutter combo, such as either another CCC shutter with fancy lens, or an Optimo with fancy lens. Right now, this is my favorite camera!

Brassai
25-Apr-2014, 16:19
I got the lens/board off, unscrewed the RR lens, and much to my astonishment the Volute/Velostigmat screwed right in place! And it fits OK too. Woo-hoo! I'm loading up some holders tonight and taking that puppy out on the town. Now, one last question. This is Series 1, an early Velostigmat. It's rate f6.8. Is that "real" f6.8, or is it the funky U.S. f6.8 that I'll have to convert? My guess is since this is an early U.S. made lens, the stops are in Uniform System.

goamules
25-Apr-2014, 20:49
Excellent on the two shutters fitting the same flange! Good deal! Can't help you on the actual speed of a Velostigmat 1, but I bet if you look in the old catalogs you can figure it out.

Michael Roberts
26-Apr-2014, 10:29
That lens/shutter looks fantastic with the camera. Congrats! If you want to know about the U.S. system, check the aperture numbers--if they go up to 256, then it's definitely the U.S. system. f16 is the same on both, but the numbers above f16 are 2x current apertures, i.e., 256=128; 90=45.

Now you need to pick up a vintage Crown tripod to go with that beautiful camera.