PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Improved 5x7??

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 01:10
In my search for a 5x7 camera I've come across a Seneca Improved 5x7 in reasonably good condition.

The seller advises that the bellows are dry and probably on the way out, so would I be nuts to buy this camera? I don't see any sellers of bellows for these on the auction site, so I'm guessing the bellows would be an (expensive) custom job, and would probably cost more than the camera.

Has anyone got one of these cameras, and can offer an opinion?
Are there are any reasonably priced bellows options?

Seller wants $200, is that a good price?

thanks

Damian

jose angel
23-Apr-2014, 02:14
Depending on the "hardware" and wood condition. If the bellows is "dry", it`s likely that you`ll have to replace it. There are several places for custom made bellows, but they are expensive.

So if you like the camera and it`s in good shape (I know nothing about Senecas), with a replacement bellows you will start with a "new" camera. (BTW, I have a Rittreck which I bought time ago, it was what I was looking for, the camera was new, unused, but so dirty and the bellows was literally rotten... so after cleaning and replacing the bellows (camerabellows.com), the camera turned almost new. I love it).

You first need to know how much is a bellows; probably a bit more then $200. So, less than, say, $500 for a nice camera with a news bellows seem very reasonable to me. But if the camera "hardware" is very used, or the wood show too much wear, far from "excellent" condition, I`d skip it.

Again, how much do you like the Senecas?

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 06:49
Depending on the "hardware" and wood condition. If the bellows is "dry", it`s likely that you`ll have to replace it. There are several places for custom made bellows, but they are expensive.

So if you like the camera and it`s in good shape (I know nothing about Senecas), with a replacement bellows you will start with a "new" camera. (BTW, I have a Rittreck which I bought time ago, it was what I was looking for, the camera was new, unused, but so dirty and the bellows was literally rotten... so after cleaning and replacing the bellows (camerabellows.com), the camera turned almost new. I love it).

You first need to know how much is a bellows; probably a bit more then $200. So, less than, say, $500 for a nice camera with a news bellows seem very reasonable to me. But if the camera "hardware" is very used, or the wood show too much wear, far from "excellent" condition, I`d skip it.

Again, how much do you like the Senecas?

thanks for all that, camerabellows.com seems to no longer exist. The camera hardware seems pretty good. So I think I'll be jumping in, D

c.d.ewen
23-Apr-2014, 07:17
D:

I haven't been following the market for some time, but $200 seems high for a camera with shot bellows. I've owned a lot of Seneca's, and they're nice light weight cameras. Keep in mind that the company went out of business in 1926, so any camera you see is ancient.

How handy are you with tools? I've got an Improved Seneca without a back, that I'd be happy to part with for US$40. The camera box, roughly 8x8, can take a 4x5 or 5x7 back, if you can make one.

You might take a look at this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112906-Crafting-a-5x7-bellows).

Charley

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 07:18
D:

I haven't been following the market for some time, but $200 seems high for a camera with shot bellows. I've owned a lot of Seneca's, and they're nice light weight cameras. Keep in mind that the company went out of business in 1926, so any camera you see is ancient.

How handy are you with tools? I've got an Improved Seneca without a back, that I'd be happy to part with for US$40. The camera box, roughly 8x8, can take a 4x5 or 5x7 back, if you can make one.

Charley

I'll take it Charley, pm sent

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 07:21
D:

You might take a look at this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112906-Crafting-a-5x7-bellows).

Charley

luckily I've found a guy in the Uk who's just finished his own LF project and will make me a bellows...

goamules
23-Apr-2014, 08:08
I like the Seneca Improved cameras a lot, especially the brown ones that show off the excellent mahogany used. They also have a handy lever on the back, that levers the film holder slot open for you. Very handy. In America, the 5x7 size isn't popular, and that price for one with shot bellows is perhaps $50 or $75 too high. Maybe you can buy it cheap, and use the back from that one, along with the body you are getting from Charley.

Chauncey Walden
23-Apr-2014, 08:37
I believe camerabellows.com is now custombellows.co.uk.

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 08:45
I believe camerabellows.com is now custombellows.co.uk.
thanks for that, appreciated

desertrat
23-Apr-2014, 08:51
I have two Seneca 8X10s, both with the original dry crackly bellows. I patched the pinholes in the folds and corners with black fabric paint from a craft store and the one I use regularly shows no signs of light leaks. I shoot with the dark cloth draped over the camera to be safe.

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 08:53
I have two Seneca 8X10s, both with the original dry crackly bellows. I patched the pinholes in the folds and corners with black fabric paint from a craft store and the one I use regularly shows no signs of light leaks. I shoot with the dark cloth draped over the camera to be safe.

sounds good, if you ever decide to sell one of them let me know, cheers,D

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 11:37
I like the Seneca Improved cameras a lot, especially the brown ones that show off the excellent mahogany used. They also have a handy lever on the back, that levers the film holder slot open for you. Very handy. In America, the 5x7 size isn't popular, and that price for one with shot bellows is perhaps $50 or $75 too high. Maybe you can buy it cheap, and use the back from that one, along with the body you are getting from Charley.

sounds like a plan Garrett, thanks for the heads up

8x10 user
23-Apr-2014, 12:05
I paid less then $200 mine. It was in very good condition with nice red bellows, internal packard shutter, and included a 7" cooke series II lens :D

dimento
23-Apr-2014, 13:45
I paid less then $200 mine. It was in very good condition with nice red bellows, internal packard shutter, and included a 7" cooke series II lens :D
sounds like a good deal, the ebay ones seem a little over-priced these days, found the same when considering B&J

desertrat
23-Apr-2014, 20:44
You can still get decent deals on Ebay. You have to be very patient. Once every several months one shows up with a low starting bid.