PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 BTZS in daylight?

gevalia
21-Apr-2014, 11:55
All,

I currently use a combi (daylight tank) tank because I have no darkroom capabilities. I tried divided Pyrocat-HD last year but solution-B does not load fast enough in the Combi Plan and I got streaks. I am wondering if I can use BTZS instead of the Combi Plan to do divided development - without darkroom capabilities. From what I have read so far, I am not clear as to whether loading solution A then unloading it and loading solution b then unloading it to water bath and then to fix can be done in daylight. Anyone have any hands-on experience in this?

Regards,
Ron

sanking
21-Apr-2014, 12:29
All,

I currently use a combi (daylight tank) tank because I have no darkroom capabilities. I tried divided Pyrocat-HD last year but solution-B does not load fast enough in the Combi Plan and I got streaks. I am wondering if I can use BTZS instead of the Combi Plan to do divided development - without darkroom capabilities. From what I have read so far, I am not clear as to whether loading solution A then unloading it and loading solution b then unloading it to water bath and then to fix can be done in daylight. Anyone have any hands-on experience in this?

Regards,
Ron

Are you asking if you can use BTZS tubes (or similar) for development with two-bath Pyrocat? If so, the answer is yes. This is actually a very good way to do it, but you will need to turn the lights off during the time you are pouring out Solution A until you start development with Solution B. And a spare filling cap would be useful to have.

I have a set of BTZS tubes and considered this method of development for the two-bath procedure but decided that it would be a bit more more convenient for me to develop the film in print drums on a motor base, similar to Jobo.

Sandy

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2014, 12:52
Just to be sure. When you are filling and emptying the Combi are you opening an air path by twisting the Light Tight Hose Connection with a half turn?

gevalia
21-Apr-2014, 13:01
Are you asking if you can use BTZS tubes (or similar) for development with two-bath Pyrocat? If so, the answer is yes. This is actually a very good way to do it, but you will need to turn the lights off during the time you are pouring out Solution A until you start development with Solution B. And a spare filling cap would be useful to have.

I have a set of BTZS tubes and considered this method of development for the two-bath procedure but decided that it would be a bit more more convenient for me to develop the film in print drums on a motor base, similar to Jobo.

Sandy

Sandy,

Really 2 parts to my question and you answered them both. I was going to email you directly on divided Pyrocat-HD in BTZS tubes since I knew you were going to do that testing a while back. But my question here was really on whether BTZS tubes were actually "daylight processing" tubes where once they were loaded with film, every other aspect (fil with solution A, then solution B, then fix) could be done in daylight. I knew some people went from developer to fix quickly in daylight but that was I believe because most of the development had taken place already. The terminology used with BTZS tubes is a bit confusing with respect to daylight processing. I guess I should have asked if they had light traps which I know believe they do not.

Thanks for the info.

Ron

gevalia
21-Apr-2014, 13:04

Sandy

Sandy,
If I may...what is this print drum you speak of?

Ron

sanking
21-Apr-2014, 18:45
Sandy,
If I may...what is this print drum you speak of?

Ron

Ron,

I have several of the 8X10 print drums that were made for color print processing, like the Besler, Chromega, and Unicolor. Some of these drums have built-in dividers of some type that allow film of different size to be held in place, others have removable dividers that allow configuration for different film size like 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10. The dividers and spacers cause turbulence issues that may result in uneven development, but I believe this is somewhat less likely with two-bath development than with normal processing.

You can often find these print drums on ebay. I prefer the Beseler and Chromega drums in general because the gasket of many of the Unicolor drums is bad and they leak.

Sandy