PDA

View Full Version : B&J Rembrandt 5x7 looking for basic info

dimento
21-Apr-2014, 03:23
Hey guys, thinking of getting a B&J Rembrandt as a starter 5x7 camera for portraits

Anyone got one and can attest to its usefulness/limitations?

I know that it has no front movements, but does anyone know

1. basic bellows extension?
2. portability- does it fold fully?
3. Was thinking of using 300mm lens on it, will I be limited to half/full length portraits or will bellows extend enough for head/shoulders with this lens.

Was also considering a standard B&J folder 5x7 which I'm guessing is slightly more versatile.

Thanks in advance, googling has led to sketchy information

Drew Bedo
21-Apr-2014, 04:48
I have used a 5x7 B&J "folder" in the past . Mine had about any movement you could want. It was a clunky grey, but with the extension rail and a 4x5 reducing back It would take any lens I wanted to use. these are a little clunky but are durable. They do not fold up into a tight package like a "modern" field camera, but can be folded and moved around with a lens attached.

If you get the Rembrandt, a good but limited camera, you will soon want to get something more capable. while I feel that one can never have too many cameras ,my wife has the opposite view. I would skip a step and get the folder.

dimento
21-Apr-2014, 04:59
I have used a 5x7 B&J "folder" in the past . Mine had about any movement you could want. It was a clunky grey, but with the extension rail and a 4x5 reducing back It would take any lens I wanted to use. these are a little clunky but are durable. They do not fold up into a tight package like a "modern" field camera, but can be folded and moved around with a lens attached.

If you get the Rembrandt, a good but limited camera, you will soon want to get something more capable. while I feel that one can never have too many cameras ,my wife has the opposite view. I would skip a step and get the folder.

Thanks for that Drew, good advice on skipping a step, our wives are kindred spirits I think, cheers, D

Mark Sawyer
21-Apr-2014, 09:38
The Rembrandts were the last studio tailboard made, with the exception of a few cottage industry replicas being made today. Excellent 5x7 studio cameras! (I currently have four, left over from my high school teaching days.) Quite a few were made, and they were very popular with commercial studios, police departments, school photographers, passport photographers, etc. The Model 1 Rembrandt doesn't fold, but the Model 2 does. The Rembrandts have 16 inches of bellows extension, which I always found adequate. Like most studio cameras, the Rembrandts have no movements in front, but they have the usual B&J rear standard assembly, which allows for lots of movement there. They take a 6x6 inch lens board, which is really nice if you have another camera with that size boards, (B&J 8x10, most Kodak 8x10's, the Noba 5x7, etc.). Well-made and very over-built; the Rembrandt has to be the most solid 5x7 ever built.

dimento
21-Apr-2014, 11:46
The Rembrandts were the last studio tailboard made, with the exception of a few cottage industry replicas being made today. Excellent 5x7 studio cameras! (I currently have four, left over from my high school teaching days.) Quite a few were made, and they were very popular with commercial studios, police departments, school photographers, passport photographers, etc. The Model 1 Rembrandt doesn't fold, but the Model 2 does. The Rembrandts have 16 inches of bellows extension, which I always found adequate. Like most studio cameras, the Rembrandts have no movements in front, but they have the usual B&J rear standard assembly, which allows for lots of movement there. They take a 6x6 inch lens board, which is really nice if you have another camera with that size boards, (B&J 8x10, most Kodak 8x10's, the Noba 5x7, etc.). Well-made and very over-built; the Rembrandt has to be the most solid 5x7 ever built.

great info, thanks Mark. I've been looking at an improved Seneca 5x7 also. worth considering?

CB33
27-Apr-2014, 07:08
The Model 1 Rembrandt doesn't fold, but the Model 2 does.

The 5x7 version may differ, but I just got an 8x10 Rembrandt Model 1 yesterday and it folds.

joselsgil
27-Apr-2014, 17:42
My 5x7 does not fold. The lens board is smaller than 6x6 inches. It does use the standard Burke & James 5x7 backs.

The Seneca 5x7 is a more versatile camera as it has front rise. Of the two cameras, I like my Seneca better :)

However, if you are just looking to use it for portraiture work. I would purchase the less expensive one and use the saved money to purchase some film.